Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Changing root password
Operating Systems AIX Changing root password Post 302947356 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 17th of June 2015 11:27:24 AM
Old 06-17-2015
Sure thing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Changing root password

I have two unix system A and B with same configuration. I can use remsh from A system login to B system as root, but when I want to change the root password of B system, it ask me the old password, but i forgot it. However, is it possible to change the B system root password? :( Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zetadhell
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need it to prompt me for a root password, so I don't have to log as root

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a program, and I want to place some of the executables into /usr/bin so that they can be executed from any folder on the computer. I've been giveng the root password, but told never to log in directly as root. Instead, I can wait for a password prompt. However, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lunchtime
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

6. Solaris

changing user password as root on LDAP client SOl10/u7

I'm fairly inexperienced with LDAP and DSEE so to build my skills I installed directory server in the global zone of my Sol 10/u7 machine and created a zone to use as a client. For some reason when I try to change a users password as root (in the client zone) with passwd -r ldap I am prompted for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied when changing root password after reset

I have a Solaris 10 machine that I didn't know the root password to so I went into single user mode and removed the password from the shadow file and rebooted and I am able to login with no password now. But my problem is that when I try to change the root password from no password to something... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkone_d1_2000
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with feeding password while changing to root user

i want to change user to "root" from another user while running a script. how can i automatically feed the password? for example, i want to write a script say "script.sh"... it will first run the command "p" as mhmn user, and then it will change the user to "root" by using "su - root" command. at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhmn
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
vipw(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  vipw(1B)

NAME
vipw - edit the password file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/vipw DESCRIPTION
vipw edits the password file while setting the appropriate locks, and does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked. If the password file is already being edited, then you will be told to try again later. The vi(1) editor will be used unless the environment variable VISUAL or EDITOR indicates an alternate editor. vipw performs a number of consistency checks on the password entry for root, and will not allow a password file with a "mangled" root entry to be installed. It also checks the /etc/shells file to verify the login shell for root. FILES
/etc/ptmp /etc/shells ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), vi(1), passwd(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 vipw(1B)