Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Using awk and sed to replace text Post 302945658 by in2nix4life on Monday 1st of June 2015 10:34:58 AM
Old 06-01-2015
Test it with this one:

Code:
sed 's/^.*$/"&"/g' largefile.txt

Make the change to the file with this one and create a backup (largefile.txt.ORIG):
Code:
sed -i.ORIG 's/^.*$/"&"/g' largefile.txt

Last edited by in2nix4life; 06-01-2015 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Typo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Text with sed

Hi , I´m working on Solaris 9 SPARC and I´m writing a Script to mírror two disks.. I need to replace some text in a file ( /etc/vfstab ) . For example: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 ==> /dev/md/dsk/d0 I just want to change the "/dev/dsk/" to "/dev/md/dsk/. Thanks for your repsonse (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: networkfre@k
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed to replace text with a variable

I'm trying to replace text in a file with text from a variable I have the following in my script, but its not working: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter the path to load scripts" read x echo "updating the templates" sed "s/CHANGE_ME_TO_LOAD_PATH/"$x"/g" LoadFiles.sh > LoadFiles2.sh I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orahi001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a range of text with sed or awk?

Howdy! I'm trying to automate editing of a configuration file (custom.conf for GDM). I need to find every line between a line that starts with "" and the next line that starts with "", I want to preserve that line, but then delete all the lines in that configuration section and then insert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TXTad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to find replace mutliline text

Hi, My input file form 1 fill 2 fill 3 form 4 fill 5 form 6 fill 7 form 8 Now i need to substiute according to the fill. form followed by single fill need to be replced with category 1 form with above and below fill need to be repalced with category 2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed - replace text

Hi, I need to replace text in a file. Can someone help me write the proper sed command for this? My text file contains about a 100 lines of content. I want to replace the line containing new_name = "#{options}-#{ENV}" by, the following - new_name = "#{options}-#{ENV}-#{rand(999)}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankush2kn
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace text with SED

Hi, I hope someone can help me out with the following: I have a file with the following lines in it: something /path/dir/my_-_file.01.ext sometext sometext somethingelse /path/dir/my_-_file.02.ext sometext something /path/dir/my_-_file.03.ext sometext some other text And i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thyssimonis
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed/awk to replace a block of text in a file?

My apologies if this has been answered in a previous post. I've been doing a lot of searching, but I haven't been able to find what I was looking for. Specifically, I am wondering if I can utilize sed and/or awk to locate two strings in a file, and replace everything between those two strings... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddsupreme
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a text containing new lines using sed or any other method?

Hi, i want to replace "Hi How are You when did you go to delhi" to "Hi How are you when did you come from delhi" in a file. Any idea how to do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhitanshu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace / in text file

Hi, I want to use sed to replace " /// " with "///" in a text file. However I am getting error messages when I use sed 's/ /// /////g' input.txt > output.txt. How do I go about doing this in sed? Input: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3 / SERINC4 Output: 219518_s_at 0.000189 ELL3/SERINC4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with awk or sed Command to Replace Text in Files

Hello Everyone, I have many files like so: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Within each file I have many lines of random text separated by commas like so: abcAAA,123,defAA,456777,ghiA,789 jklB,101,mnoBBB,11211,pqrB,13111 stuCC,415,vwxCCCC,161,yzaC,718 I am trying to use SED or AWK to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D3U5X
4 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)