Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting with arguments for ping command Post 302944899 by Roggy on Saturday 23rd of May 2015 09:04:31 AM
Old 05-23-2015
Scripting with arguments for ping command

This is the script I already have but I have problems with two arguments
the first argument -t , I want to count 200 by the last digit of the IP address for example when I run the script ./ping.sh -t 17, the output would be
Code:
192.168.0.217 is up

The second arguments --up won't work. Could anybody help me please with these two arguments?
Code:
#!/bin/bash

while [[ -n "$@" ]]
do
    case "$1" in

-h|--help)
    Extension=1
    shift
    ;;

-XX-YY)
    Extension=2
    shift
    min=$1
    shift
    max=$1
    shift

;;

--up)
    Extension=3
    shift
    end=$1
    shift
    ;;
    esac
done

if [ "$Extension" -eq 1 ] ; then

echo "dit is de help"

fi

if [ "$Extension" -eq 2 ] ; then

for ((n=$min ; n<=$max ; n+=1))
do
ip=192.168.129.$n
if ping -c 1 -w 1 ${ip} > /dev/null 2> /dev/null >> logping.txt; then
echo "${ip} is up"
else
echo "${ip} is down"
fi
done

fi

if [ "$Extension" -eq 3 ] ; then

ip=192.168.129.$end
                if ping -c 1 -w 1 ${ip} > /dev/null 2> /dev/null >> /logping.txt; then
                        echo "${ip} is up"

fi

fi

Last edited by rbatte1; 05-26-2015 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Added CODE & ICODE tags in main paragraph. Corrected spelling, grammer and case.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About ping command

Hi! I have small problem. I want to ping a server and the result shouldn't be printed in the browser window, just become a value. Here you can see the script that I have: <? $command="ping linux.com -t ttl -c1 | tail -1 | awk '{print $4 \" \" $5}'"; $output = system($command);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Papa Deoo
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

About ping command

Hi! I have small problem. I want to ping a server and the result shouldn't be printed in the browser window, just become a value. Here you can see the script that I have: $command="ping linux.com -t ttl -c1 | tail -1 | awk '{print $4 \" \" $5}'"; $output = system($command); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Papa Deoo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ping command

Hello Everybody: Im the root of the system, I need to grant some limited priviliges user an acess to the ping command so he can ping some IPs with his script. should I add the command to his path?? or what?? Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
3 Replies

4. AIX

Problem with 'ping' command

Hi All, I'm testing ping command on two servers. A,B,C,D are servers From A-->B: ping -c 3 -p ff -s30720 <B IP-Addres> This works fine. From C-->D: ping -c 3 -p ff -s30720 <D IP-Addres> This is NOT working and 100% packe loss :( But if I use 8700 instead of 30720 for packet size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on ping command

Hi, I have a list of 500 IP address and need to ping all the IP address. I had written a script to do this and its working if the IP is valid one. If any invalid IP present, the process got hang up. Also I have tried with -c , -I and -w options, its not working. Any one help me on this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rksiva
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Ping command.

Hi, I have a shell script, that has to run in putty for days together. So , I need to keep the network server connection alive and running. The execution of shell script shouldn't be interrupted as it produces undesirable results. Can anyone provide me with a script ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Scripting with Arguments

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem 1: I need to create a shell script the takes three arguments and echo's out "There once was a ____that____who like to_____" The arguments go where the blanks are. Problemt 2: -Do an LS and store the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dw15
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting with passing arguments

Hi All, I am using the script for creating local queue and passing the arguments while running the script as below n=0 while do e=`expr $n + 3` echo 'DEFINE QL('$e') MAXDEPTH('$6') MAXMSGL('$7') DEFPSIST('$8') '$9'' | /apps/mqm_opt/bin/runmqsc $2 n=`expr $n + 1` done Running the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha M
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner at bash scripting - need help with passing arguments

I at the moment, making a simple bash script, capable of setting up an workspace for me, so i don't have to do it manually.. Problem is though i can't seem to provide the bash script any argument, without running into my error checks, checking for input... Here is the code: #!/bin/bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping scripting

This is my first posting here, I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for anywhere else so I'm hoping you all can help. I have a portion of script here that needs to ping two servers, then return whether they are up or down (somehow), and then echo that information. Here is what I have so far. It... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeffm0342
3 Replies
cm(5)								File Formats Manual							     cm(5)

NAME
cm - cluster monitor for high availability clusters Remarks Cluster operations require the installation of the optional Serviceguard or Serviceguard Extension for RAC software, which is not included in the standard HP-UX operating system. DESCRIPTION
Serviceguard and Serviceguard Extension for RAC are high availability products which provide an environment such that after a failure of a node, services (applications) can be up and running again on another node within a very short amount of time. In addition, Serviceguard Extension for RAC is the enabling software for the Real Application Clusters (RAC). Working with the basic Serviceguard product, Service- guard Extension for Faster Failover allows configuration of clusters for optimized failover. Commands The following set of commands is used to configure a high availability cluster: cmquerycl(1M) cmmakepkg(1M) cmcheckconf(1M) cmapplyconf(1M) The following commands are used to run or halt a cluster: cmruncl(1M) cmhaltcl(1M) cmrunnode(1M) cmhaltnode(1M) cmviewcl(1M) Once a cluster is formed, the following commands are provided for manual operation on high availability packages: cmrunpkg(1M) cmhaltpkg(1M) cmmodpkg(1M) The following commands are used within a package control script to control the services and networks configured for a package: cmrunserv(1M) cmhaltserv(1M) cmmodnet(1M) A command is provided to aid in migrating from a SwitchOver/UX configuration to a Serviceguard cluster: cmmigrate(1M) This command is not applicable with Serviceguard Extension for RAC. SEE ALSO
Managing Serviceguard. Configuring RAC Clusters with Serviceguard Extension for RAC. Requires Optional Serviceguard Software cm(5)