Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count occurrences in first column Post 302944507 by quincyjones on Tuesday 19th of May 2015 05:15:36 PM
Old 05-19-2015
yes almost. more detailed example for clarification.

input
Code:
amex-11	10	abc
amex-11	20	bcn
amed-12	1	abc
amex-12	10	abc
amex-12	20	bcn
amed-13	1	abc

ouput shouldbe

Code:
amex-11	1 10	abc
amex-11	1 20	bcn
amed-12	2 1	abc
amex-12	3 10	abc
amex-12	3 20	bcn
amed-13	4 1	abc

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count occurrences and substitute with counter

Hi Unix-Experts, I have a textfile with several occurrences of some string XXX. I'd like to count all the occurrences and number them in reverse order. E.g. input: XXX bla XXX foo XXX output: 3 bla 2 foo 1 I tried to achieve this with sed, but failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptob
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and Count Occurrences of Pattern in a File

I need to search and count the occurrences of a pattern in a file. The catch here is it's a pattern and not a word ( not necessarily delimited by spaces). For eg. if ABCD is the pattern I need to search and count, it can come in all flavors like (ABCD, ABCD), XYZ.ABCD=100, XYZ.ABCD>=500,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix and Awk to count number of occurrences

Hi, I have a file (movies.sh), this file contains list of movies such as I want to redirect the movies from movies.sh to file_to_process to allow me process the file with out losing anything. I have tried Movies.sh >> file_to_process But I want to add the row number to the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrences in awk

Hello, I have an output from GDB with many entries that looks like this 0x00007ffff7dece94 39 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7dece97 39 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7ab356c 50 in exit.c 0x00007ffff7aed9db in _IO_cleanup () at genops.c:1022 115 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7decf7b in _dl_sort_fini (l=0x0,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikke008
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count word occurrences, but exclude some?

I am trying to count the occurrences of ALL words in a file. However, I want to exclude certain words: short words (i.e. <3 chars), and words contained in an blacklist file. There is also a desire to count words that are capitalized (e.g. proper names). I am not 100% sure where the line on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cronk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count occurrences in a specific column

Hi, I need help to count the number of occurrences in $3 of file1.txt. I only know how to count by checking one by one and the code is like this: awk '$3 ~ /aku hanya poyo/ {++c} END {print c}' FS="\t" file1.txt But this is not wise to do as i have hundreds of different occurrences in that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Group By and count string occurrences

Hi Gurus, I'm scratching my head over and over and couldn't find the the right way to compose this AWK properly - PLEASE HELP :confused: Input: c,d,e,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CONV c,d,e,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CONV b,c,d,CLICK c,d,e,CLICK c,d,e,CLICK b,c,d,CONV... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of string occurrences to display 0 entries in output

Hello Friends, Can somebody assist an issue I am having? I have a separate file with a list of account ids XXX200B02Y01 XXX200B03Y01 XXX200B05Y01 XXX200B07Y01 XXX200B08Y01 I call the file, and run an egrep against a directory and logfiles AccountID=$(cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
2 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)