Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parallel processing for functions in xargs Post 302944226 by sea on Sunday 17th of May 2015 03:46:17 PM
Old 05-17-2015
Why would one to repeat oneself if its already been said?
Sometimes people (me included) are too focused on the words (or specific tools, your case) they have in their mind, rather than the situation.

There are not too many different ways ways on how to run X numbers of background jobs, and this year this is at least the 3rd thread of its kind, having the same requierments.

One could ask: did you google?
One could ask: did you search the forum?
IMO that is a very legit question with the aim to solve your own question.

I like to help others, even provide tools (with the aim) to help others.
But i dont like to repeat myself, so i redirect to whats already been said, if i'm aware of it (which applies in this case).

Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Have a nice evening.

EDIT:
A forum is NOT "set and forget".
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do parallel processing??

Hi All, I am working on solaris 8 sparc machine with 2 cpu. I am trying to run my application which generates files. I run multiple instance of the application, but the results don't seem to show as if it were runing parallely. When i run the application once it takes 12 secs to generate a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zing
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parallel processing

Hi I want to run two shell script files parallely. These two scripts are interacting with the database. can any body help on this Pls Regards Audippa naidu.M (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: audippa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help With Parallel Processing

Hi I am looking for some kind of feature in unix that will help me write a script that can invoke multiple processes in parallel. And make sure that the multiple parallel processes complete successfully before I proceed to the next step. Someone suggested something called timespid or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imnewtothis23
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parallel processing

hi i am preparing a set of batches for a set of files sequentially There is a folder /xyz where all the files reside now all the files starting with 01 - will be appended for one below other to form a batch batch01 then all the files starting with 02 - will be appended for one below other to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xargs for multiple functions

Hi Experts, I am trying to parse some syslog outputs into a separate file per node using the below syntax but am having issues when it comes to my Xargs statements. The command which I was intending on using was: cat syslogs | nawk '/From/ { print $3 }' | uniq | xargs -I {} grep {}... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krypton
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make parallel processing rather than serial processing ??

Hello everybody, I have a little problem with one of my program. I made a plugin for collectd (a stats collector for my servers) but I have a problem to make it run in parallel. My program gathers stats from logs, so it needs to run in background waiting for any new lines added in the log... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
0 Replies

7. Programming

Algorithms for Parallel Processing

Hey, I just wanted to know how many algorithms there are that cannot be accelerated by parallel processing. I know one such algorithm is Euclid's Algorithm (for GCF). does anyone know any other algorithms that cannot be accelerated by pp? if so please list the names and a general sentence of what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple functions in parallel

Hello, I have multiple functions within a shell script. eg. function_database_backup, unix_tar_creation, etc. I would like to run these functions in parallel, as each is independent of the other. If these were simple commands, I could have probably run each of the commands in background. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil.k
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameters to a function and running functions in parallel

Hi , I have a script which is using a text file as I/P. I want a code where it reads n lines from this file and pass the parameters to a function and now this script should run in such a way where a function can be called in parallel with different parameters. Please find below my script, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel processing

I have 10,000 + files, each of which I need to zip using bzip2. Is ti possible to use bash to create 8 parallel streams sending a new file to be processed from the list when one of the others has finished? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethsays
1 Replies
MRTG-FORUM(1)							       mrtg							     MRTG-FORUM(1)

NAME
mrtg-forum - Interactive Help for MRTG users SYNOPSIS
There is a lot of written documentation for mrtg, but nevertheless you may have a problem where you can't find the solution. In this case some Human Help may be necessary. With MRTG there are several ways to get Humans to help you. MAILING-LIST There are three mailing lists for MRTG available. mrtg for discussion among mrtg users. mrtg-announce for announcements regarding new versions of mrtg related software. mrtg-developers for discussion among people who write software in connection with mrtg or who hack mrtg itself. THE RULES Please note that the memebers of the mrtg mailinglist value politeness highly. This means behave in a way you would like others to behave towards you. o No shouting. (NO CAPS) o No rude language o No demands. everybody is on the list out of their own free will. If you do not get an answer to your question, chances are high that you did not give sufficent details about the nature of your problem or that the answer to your problem is in the documentation. o If you do not follow the rules you will be unsubscribed from the list with no further questions asked. o Decisions about your unsubscription from the list will be taken by Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net> Paul C. Williamson <pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM> If you feel that you have been treated unfairly, you may send mail to me and explain the situation. Tobi Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> SUBSCRIBING These lists are managed by a mailing-list management program (listar). It allows you to subscribe to these lists by sending a message with the subject: subscribe to the following address: listname-request@lists.oetiker.ch You will then get a message asking you to confirm your subscription. For posting to the lists use the following address listname@lists.oetiker.ch Note that only people who are subscribed to the list can post. Further information about the usage of the mailing lists is available by sending a message with the subject line help to either one of the request addresses. There is also a webinterface to the lists on http://lists.oetiker.ch List archives are on http://www.mail-archive.com/index.php?hunt=mrtg and http://gmane.org/find.php?list=mrtg NEWSGROUP
For discussion of MRTG or related topics on the Usenet, please send your posts to: news:comp.dcom.net-management Many MRTG users are in this forum and will help you. You can also find an archive of past activity from this Newsgroup on: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.dcom.net-management IRC Channel For discussion of MRTG and related topics on IRC, the `#mrtg' channel on EFNet has been created. More information can be found at http://mrtg.easymac.org MRTG Japan There is a special Mailinglist for MRTG Users in Japan. It carries translations of the traffic from MRTG-ANNOUNCE as well as updates on the Japanese Translation of the MRTG documentation. Go to http://www.mrtg.jp/ for further Information. AUTHOR
Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> and many contributors 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-FORUM(1)