Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting in groups
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting in groups Post 302943512 by Don Cragun on Saturday 9th of May 2015 07:05:44 AM
Old 05-09-2015
Assuming you don't care about preserving the hundreds of spaces at the ends of some of your input lines (since the spacing in your sample output lines does not match the spacing in your sample input lines), you could also try:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
while read a
do	read b
	read c
	printf '%s %s %s\n' "$a" "$b" "$c"
done < file | sort -n | while read a b c
do	printf '%s\n%s\n%s\n' "$a" "$b" "$c"
done

which strips off all of the trailing spaces.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Where are my groups

Hello A couple of weeks ago, I added a user to an AIX 5.3 system. I go to add one today, and it appears that when creating a user in smit, I cannot see any groups. No primary groups No Group set No Admin Groups The /etc/group and etc/secuity/group files seem to be intact. I did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhenryj
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

putty groups

Hi all, need info on using putty as group. I am having huge numbers of servers. (say 100) I am using putty to login remotely. i want to group each 25 hostnames or a set of servers into one putty instance. (see image attached.) Currently i have to scroll down to see all the 100 servers. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

groups starting with c2?

I have some groups and when i issue a command like groups $LOGNAME it displays in one line rfautosys c2ru cash2 I want to fetch only group starting with c2 but when i grep i am getting full line. Can someone advise on this please as how i can get output as c2ru? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
2 Replies

4. Solaris

groups

how to create 1000 users in 1 group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

groups

1 user in member of 4 groups find file permissions and default group (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Groups access

Hi all, Can someone tell me how I can get around this problem. Basically I use the HP-UX OS and I work with 2 top level directories. /z/group1 /z/group2 these 2 dirs are managed where group1 can only be access by one set of users and group2 another. This is managed by adding the 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Groups in Unix ???

What is Primary group and Secondary Group in Unix.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding Groups

Hi cat /etc/group : .... oinstall:x:401: dba:x:400:oracle ... cat /etc/passwd|grep oracle oracle:x:130:401::/home/oracle:/bin/ksh 1. Is that mean that : ORACLE user has OINSTALL as it Primary group and DBA as secondary group ? 2. What is the linux comman to set ORACLE user with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with regex groups

I have a requirement - replace specified positions in a string with a character. I found perl regex useful for this approach. however, I am facing the following issue. The target file 'temp' contains - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The goal is to convert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_roy
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Groups

Must I be in a group? I am using Ubuntu and am the only user on my PC. I know how to change groups but do not see a way to not be in a group. Any help would be appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthepines
2 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux