Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script doesn't print error.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script doesn't print error. Post 302943048 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 5th of May 2015 01:29:52 AM
Old 05-05-2015
Maybe something like this comes closer to what you're trying to do:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
IAm=${0##*/}
file=
while getopts :f: arg
do
        case $arg in
	(f)	file="$OPTARG"
		printf 'Found -f option; setting file="%s"\n' "$file";;
	(\?)	printf 'Usage: %s -f file operand...\n' "$IAm" >&2
		exit 1;;
        esac
done
shift $((OPTIND - 1))
if [ "$file" = "" ]
then	printf '%s: No "-f file" option found.\n' "$IAm" >&2
	exit 2
else	printf 'Last "-f file" option set file to "%s"\n' "$file"
fi
printf 'Operands remaining after option parsing:\n'
printf '\t"%s"\n' "$@"

Note, however, that it is more common to use an operand (rather than an option) to specify a mandatory utility argument.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script that doesn't stop

Hi all, I got a script that runs automatically using the cron file. The script starts running at midnight and suppose to delete image files from folders and sub-folders. The script ends when he finishes deleting or after 5 hours. My problem is that the script doesn't stop running even after 5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: biot
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cout doesn't print everything

Hi all, I implemented a C++ program and successfully compiled and ran on my laptop. However when I copy my code to another machine (school's sun machine), it didn't run properly. I can compile and run, but cout does not print everything. I used cout in a loop where it iterates no more than 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaTYR
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't run

Hi everyone, I've written a script, I gave it permission by > chmod u+x myscript and then tried to run it with > myscript and it didn't work, so I've written > ./myscript again, it didn't work, so I've written > set path = (. $path) but it didn't work as well. I have some... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script.. it Just doesn't work

Hello,, Im verry new to scripting and have some problems with this script i made.. What it does: It checks a directory for a new directory and then issues a couple of commands. checks sfv - not doing right now checks rar - it checks if theres a rar file and when there is it skips to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atmosroll
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work in loop but does if not

I have a script that only works if I remove it from the looping scenario. #!/bin/bash # Set the field seperator to a newline ##IFS=" ##" # Loop through the file ##for line in `cat nlist.txt`;do # put the line into a variable. ##dbuser=$line echo "copying plugin..." ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugeye
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

my script doesn't work :(

i have this script and when i ejecute it, the console tell me this " sintax error line 41 unexpected element "}" " is the sintaxis ok? #!/bin/bash if ;then { exit 0; } if ; then { sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start; sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start; php5 & nautilus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keiserx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works but doesn't?

Hi everyone I'm new here so and I'm just starting to learn a bit of Solaris and I'm working on repairing 10 year old scripts for our system here at work. When I execute the commands at my prompt everything go's through smooth. I'm using gedit to edit my code because I'm still getting used to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 82280zx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If first character doesn't equal '#' and same line contains 'temp', print everything else

(2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoman1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in script doesn't work

I am trying to run a script to make a simple modification to a number of similar files. The sed works, but after it runs and the differences are displayed, the script does not read ans to start a renaming script if the user answered Y or y.for i in "$@" do sed -f myfile.sed $i >$i.new diff... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE doesn't print values in shell script

Hello, I'm trying to print the value of my cursor in the dbms_output.put_line in shell script, but it only shows "PL/SQL procedure successfully completed." nothing else. I have set serveroutput on, Below is my script : Any advise would be really helpful. sqlplus -s $ORACLE_LOGON <<EOF >>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail.chiranjit
2 Replies