Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way Post 302942904 by karthikgv417 on Sunday 3rd of May 2015 06:48:36 PM
Old 05-03-2015
Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All,

Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created.

Code:
/Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt
/Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to /Path/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt
/Path/AdminUser/User2/3333/Reports/ccc.txt to /Path/User2/3333/Reports/ccc.txt
/Path/AdminUser/User2/4444/Reports/ddd.txt to /Path/User2/4444/Reports/ddd.txt

I don't want to move directory structure. I want to move files from that source path to destination path on daily basis. I would need pointer to write a bash script to make sure aaa.txt would exactly go and sit only from /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/ to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/........

One of geek folk helped provided with inputs to start as below, It still threw error, can we also write it in an efficient way?
Code:
#!/bin/bash
dir1=/Path
for i in "$dir1"/AdminUser/*; do
if [[ -d $i && ! -L $i ]]; then 
dir2="${i##*/}"
for j in "$i"/*; do 
if [[ -d $j && ! -L $j ]]; then 
j="${j##*/}"
mv "$i"/"$j"/Reports "$dir1"/"$dir2"/"$j"/
fi
done
fi
done

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-03-2015 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files by splitting the path embedded in the filename

Hello All. I am having a directory /tmp/rahul which contains many files in the format @#home@#rahul@#programs@#script.pl where /home/rahul/programs is the directory where the script.pl file is to be placed. I have many files in this format. What i want is a script which read these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

full path of a file situated either in parent's dir. or parent's parent dir. so on...

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple child scripts running in backgroud, how to use grep on the parent?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertashish
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving multiple folders/files in subversion using bash script

Hi, I'm new here an dlearning a lot from this forum. i didnt find any solution for this in the forum. I have already checked in folders in subversion named HTT01,... HTT21.. and have files in each folder like below: HTT01/HTT01_00000.hex HTT01/HTT01_00000_fb_result.hex... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravishan21
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Find, replace, file path in multiple files for Solaris 10

Guys I have a big issue that I need to get fixed ASAP however I can not seem to find a way to do it. We started to use zones with Solaris 10 at work and we moved a zone from a SIT box to a DEV box. Problem is the software we have installed is looking at a /lcl/sit/apps/ path and it needs to look... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Problem with path and child shells

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: a) Some Unix tools are at $HOME/mytools directory. Make these tools accessible for use from any directory. b)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justOne21
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to trim folder and files within a path that share a common file extension

The bash will trim the folder to trim folder. Within each of the folders (there may be more than 1) and the format is always the same, are several .bam and matching .bam.bai files (file structure) and the bashunder that executes and trims the .bam as expected but repeats the.bam.bai extentions... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies
Path::Class(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Path::Class(3)

NAME
Path::Class - Cross-platform path specification manipulation VERSION
version 0.33 SYNOPSIS
use Path::Class; my $dir = dir('foo', 'bar'); # Path::Class::Dir object my $file = file('bob', 'file.txt'); # Path::Class::File object # Stringifies to 'foo/bar' on Unix, 'fooar' on Windows, etc. print "dir: $dir "; # Stringifies to 'bob/file.txt' on Unix, 'bobfile.txt' on Windows print "file: $file "; my $subdir = $dir->subdir('baz'); # foo/bar/baz my $parent = $subdir->parent; # foo/bar my $parent2 = $parent->parent; # foo my $dir2 = $file->dir; # bob # Work with foreign paths use Path::Class qw(foreign_file foreign_dir); my $file = foreign_file('Mac', ':foo:file.txt'); print $file->dir; # :foo: print $file->as_foreign('Win32'); # foofile.txt # Interact with the underlying filesystem: # $dir_handle is an IO::Dir object my $dir_handle = $dir->open or die "Can't read $dir: $!"; # $file_handle is an IO::File object my $file_handle = $file->open($mode) or die "Can't read $file: $!"; DESCRIPTION
"Path::Class" is a module for manipulation of file and directory specifications (strings describing their locations, like '/home/ken/foo.txt' or 'C:WindowsFoo.txt') in a cross-platform manner. It supports pretty much every platform Perl runs on, including Unix, Windows, Mac, VMS, Epoc, Cygwin, OS/2, and NetWare. The well-known module File::Spec also provides this service, but it's sort of awkward to use well, so people sometimes avoid it, or use it in a way that won't actually work properly on platforms significantly different than the ones they've tested their code on. In fact, "Path::Class" uses "File::Spec" internally, wrapping all the unsightly details so you can concentrate on your application code. Whereas "File::Spec" provides functions for some common path manipulations, "Path::Class" provides an object-oriented model of the world of path specifications and their underlying semantics. "File::Spec" doesn't create any objects, and its classes represent the different ways in which paths must be manipulated on various platforms (not a very intuitive concept). "Path::Class" creates objects representing files and directories, and provides methods that relate them to each other. For instance, the following "File::Spec" code: my $absolute = File::Spec->file_name_is_absolute( File::Spec->catfile( @dirs, $file ) ); can be written using "Path::Class" as my $absolute = Path::Class::File->new( @dirs, $file )->is_absolute; or even as my $absolute = file( @dirs, $file )->is_absolute; Similar readability improvements should happen all over the place when using "Path::Class". Using "Path::Class" can help solve real problems in your code too - for instance, how many people actually take the "volume" (like "C:" on Windows) into account when writing "File::Spec"-using code? I thought not. But if you use "Path::Class", your file and directory objects will know what volumes they refer to and do the right thing. The guts of the "Path::Class" code live in the Path::Class::File and Path::Class::Dir modules, so please see those modules' documentation for more details about how to use them. EXPORT The following functions are exported by default. file A synonym for "Path::Class::File->new". dir A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new". If you would like to prevent their export, you may explicitly pass an empty list to perl's "use", i.e. "use Path::Class ()". The following are exported only on demand. foreign_file A synonym for "Path::Class::File->new_foreign". foreign_dir A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new_foreign". tempdir Create a new Path::Class::Dir instance pointed to temporary directory. my $temp = Path::Class::tempdir(CLEANUP => 1); A synonym for "Path::Class::Dir->new(File::Temp::tempdir(@_))". Notes on Cross-Platform Compatibility Although it is much easier to write cross-platform-friendly code with this module than with "File::Spec", there are still some issues to be aware of. o On some platforms, notably VMS and some older versions of DOS (I think), all filenames must have an extension. Thus if you create a file called foo/bar and then ask for a list of files in the directory foo, you may find a file called bar. instead of the bar you were expecting. Thus it might be a good idea to use an extension in the first place. AUTHOR
Ken Williams, KWILLIAMS@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) Ken Williams. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Path::Class::Dir, Path::Class::File, File::Spec perl v5.18.2 2017-10-06 Path::Class(3)