Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash to search file based off user input then create new file Post 302942781 by Walter Misar on Friday 1st of May 2015 10:07:43 AM
Old 05-01-2015
Using the -n option to grep will do the trick:

Code:
printf "searching, please wait" 
result=`grep -n "${id}" getCSV.txt`
if [ -n "$result" ]; then
   echo "match found in line $result" >> match.txt
else
  echo "no match found"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search file, change existing value based on input (awk help)

I have a file (status.file) of the form: valueA 3450 valueB -20 valueC -340 valueD 48 I am tailing a data.file, and need to search and modify a value in status.file...the tail is: tail -f data.file | awk '{ print $3, ($NF - $(NF-1)) }' which will produce lines that look like this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nortonloaf
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and search a value in another file create third file using AWK

Hi, I have two files with the format shown below. I need to read first field(value before comma) from file 1 and search for a record in file 2 that has the same value in the field "KEY=" and write the complete record of file 2 with corresponding field 2 of the first file in to result file. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Kalyan
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a file based on input from a second file

how to grep a file based on another input file File1 ashu 1 ninetwo hari qwer 6 givefour jan fghj 8 noeight mar vbmi 7 noput feb -- --- File2 noput noeight --- -- Taking the input of grep as File2, a search need to be made in File1 giving File3 as output: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append file based upon user input-- solved

Ok, I have a script with a commandline option that allows the user to add a custom function to the script file. I have tried everything in my limited knowledge of sed to get this to work and keep coming up short. I need sed to search for a line starting with a pattern, I've got that part so far,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search on date range of file based on user input

Hello I would like to ask for help with a script to search a directory that contains many log files and based on a users input after being prompted, they enter a date range down to the hour which searches the files that contain that range. I dont know how to go about this. I am hoping that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to find date based on search string for continuesly updating file

Hi All, I am very new to UNIX and I have tried this for a longtime now and unable to crack it.... There is a file that is continuously updating. I need to search for the string and find the date @ which it updated every day..... eg: String is "work started" The log entry is as below: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nithz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern in a file taking input from another file

Hi, Below is my requirement File1: svasjsdhvassdvasdhhgvasddhvasdhasdjhvasdjsahvasdjvdasjdvvsadjhv vdjvsdjasvdasdjbasdjbasdjhasbdasjhdbjheasbdasjdsajhbjasbjasbhddjb svfsdhgvfdshgvfsdhfvsdadhfvsajhvasjdhvsajhdvsadjvhasjhdvjhsadjahs File2: sdh hgv I need a command such that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imrandec85
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create file and file content based existing information?

Hi Gurus, I am SQL developer and new unix user. I need to create some file and file content based on information in two files. I have one file contains basic information below file1 and another exception file file2. the rule is if "zone' and "cd" in file1 exists in file2, then file name is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to search based on 5 user input fields

Field1=”” Field2=”” Field3=”” Field4=”” Field5=”” USER INPUT UP TO 5 FIELDS awk -F , '{ if ( $3 == Field1 && $6 == Field2 && $8 == Field3 && $9 == Field4 && $10 == Field5) print $0 }' /tmp/rodney.outD INPUT FILE (Rodney.outD): ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmerrird
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automaticaly create function based off user input

I am trying to create a bash script that will create new function by using the user input. The below will create the necessary files in the correct format, however when it comes to the # create function I am at a loss. If the name entered was NEWNAME and the genes were GENE1,GENE2 then two files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)