Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Archiving and moving files into directories, creating directories, etc. Post 302939472 by wyclef on Wednesday 25th of March 2015 05:27:27 PM
Old 03-25-2015
i want to take the database archive, put it in _backups in a folder called 'database', then i want to take the site, put it in _backups in a folder called 'www', and have the entire thing archived.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

archiving equal sets of files from directories

Good morning. I am trying to write a script on SunOS that will tar up files from a set of directories. This is no problem, but what I need to do is to create 3 different archives each containing a third of the files from a particular sub-directory. So if I have a directory structure: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1world1love
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and Awk for creating directories and moving files

I have a security system that FTPs the camera files to my machine, however I want to sort the pictures (taken every 30s) into directories by hour. Every picture uses the following file format. yymmddhhmmsstt.jpg (where tt is the milliseconds) I am thinking the for loop is best for file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiint
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files between directories using SFTP

I want to connect to an SFTP server, GET some files, then move those files to a different directory on the SFTP server so I don't try to GET them next time. But there doesn't seem to be a way to move files between directories on the remote server from SFTP. I missing something obvious? And if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjhancock
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files between directories !!

hi i have a list of directory in a text file with all directories name in a column.(this is not exactly a file but i need to do a grep and awk on a file to find that list) i have the source folders like abchome/abc/xxyz/nl_xxabc/mm// v01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating timestamped directories/files in expect

Hi, I am looking for the syntax to provide a timestamped log_file in expect. Basically I want the equivalent of: /outputs/`date +%d%m%y`/session`date +%H%M` But scripted in expect so it can be handed over to the logfile function. I have tried playing around with the timestamp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krypton
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from several directories into parent

I am fairly new to bash(but am proficient in C++), and have only completed a few simple scripts. This is my first script that I actually need to do a serious task. All of my audiobooks are stored in traditional MP3 format: Music/Artist/Album/*.mp3 (which in this case is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gamendorf
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving files to different directories

im trying to move media and other files which are in a specified directory to another directory and create another one if it does not exits(where the files will go),them also create a directory will the remaining files with different extensions will go.my first problem is that my script is not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: elginmulizwa
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help Moving Long List Of Files Into Directories

I am very new to BASH and I am having difficulties moving a long list of image files into similarly named directories. I've been trying to come with a script all night and no luck. Here is what my list of files looks like: DSC_0059_01.jpg DSC_0059_02.jpg DSC_0059_03.jpg DSC_0059_04.jpg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jowens1138
5 Replies
packf(1mh)																packf(1mh)

Name
       packf - compress a folder into a single file

Syntax
       packf [ +folder ] [ msgs ] [ -file name ] [ -help ]

Description
       Each  message in a folder is normally stored as a separate file.  The command takes all messages from the current folder and copies them to
       a single specified file.  Each message in the file is separated by four <CTRL/A>s and a newline.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not want all the messages in a	folder	to
       be packed into one file, you can specify a number of messages or a range of messages with message numbers.

The first message packed will become the current message.  If you specify a +folder argument, that folder will become the current folder.

When messages have been packed into a file using you can separate them into individual messages using the command.  See

Options
       -file name
		 Specifies  the  file  in which you want the message(s) to be stored.  If you specify an existing file then the specified messages
		 will be appended to the end of that file.  Otherwise, a new file will be created and the messages placed in it.  If  you  do  not
		 specify  a  filename,	attempts  to  place the messages in a file called in the current working directory.  If this file does not
		 exist, asks whether you want to create it.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -file ./msgbox

Examples
       The first example shows all the messages in the folder being packed into a file called
       % packf +lrp -file planning

The next example shows how prompts you if you do not specify a -file option.  A file called is created by in your home directory, and  mes-
       sages 3 to 5 are packed into it:
       % packf +lrp 3-5
       Create file "/machine/disk/username/msgbox"? y

Profile Components
       Path:	      To determine the user's Mail directory
       Msg-Protect:   To set protections when creating a new file

Files
       $HOME/.mh_profile   The user profile.

See Also
       burst(1mh)

packf(1mh)