Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find and replace
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace Post 302938883 by kmanivan82 on Thursday 19th of March 2015 06:18:06 PM
Old 03-19-2015
Find and replace

Hi Team,

one silly issue. but its not working for me.

I need to find a pattern a file and replace it with the given value in another file.

Here's the code snippet.
Code:
Search_String=100
Replace_String=151
cat  ${work}/temp_${CSV_File}  |   sed  's|"${Search_String}"|"${Replace_String}"|g'  >  $work/${work_1}/${CSV_File}

That means all the occurences of 100 will have to be replaced by 151. The value of Replace_String will be incrementing 1 in loop. If i hardcode the value, the function works. If I pass it through variable Search_String and Replace_String, the find and replace it not happening. Can anyone help me to fix the issue?

Regards,
KM

---------- Post updated at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:21 AM ----------

I got it.

If we use " (double quotes) instead of ' (single quotes), it will work.

cat ${work}/temp_${CSV_File} | sed "s|${Search_String}|${Replace_String}|g" > $work/${work_1}/${CSV_File}

Last edited by bartus11; 03-19-2015 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Fixed [code] tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace

I have statement like this column_id.columnname=="value" in unix i want to modify above statement to variable1=="value" that means i have to replace the string before "==" by string "variable1" second catch is, in statement instead of "==" you can have any arithmatic comarision... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please help with find and replace:

Hi I am trying to find a product code hightlighted in red, and re-insert it at another place on the same file. I shall be grateful if anyone can help me with this. Stuck and have deadline!!:confused: Original Line: (I can get source data in one of these two formats) ISD=977155185403901+DIE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gloovy_tb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace

Hi, There are some "n" files in a directory which contains comman string.A command to find and replace the string in all the files without looping. like if i am in a directory : # find ./ -name ".txt" | xargs sed -e 's/test/tst' Upto here is performed correctly and i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakshit
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace

hi, i have a data in a file like below: 100 8388kmn844., 8488 200 8398kmn894., 8398 i want replace from kmn to . as null. output should be 100 8388, 8488 200 8398, 8398 Plz help. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javeed7
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and replace

I am looking to find and replace a string in a file, can anyone suggest a global find and replace. looked at previous replies on other queries but none seem to address what i am looking for. aint familiar with sed so trying to use ordinary unix commands if possible Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SummitElse
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Replace

Need to convert echo "7 6" to $7,$6 But the count of numbers can increase say echo "7,6,8,9" tried this didn't work echo "7 6" | sed 's/\(*\)/\1/' But did not help much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
3 Replies

7. Solaris

find/replace?

Dear All To find a file, according to you, I tried as: #find / -name file-name -print To find a string inside the files , I tried as : #find / -name "*" |xargs grep "string" Can you please let me know how can I try for find/replace (i.e. finding the intended string inside the text files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/Replace

I have the following requirement in the shell script 1. I have more than 200 shell script files. I need to find out how many shell scripts have "sqlplus /" in the shell file 2. I need to replace all the shell scripts in the single command for example: connect scott/scott replace as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmsuper
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Replace

i am having a file test1.txt and its contents is as follows. <abcaaa bbb ccc ddd> <dddeeeffff> <my computer> <abcmydocuments> Now I need to find the text abc and should be replaced as follows. <abc> <dddeeeffff> <my computer> <abc> First line has the text "abc" and it has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace?

Hi All, I have data like below 1 CREATE TABLE temp123 2 ( 3 col1 INTEGER, 4 col2 CHAR(3) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC, 5 col3 DECIMAL(19,0), 6 col4 VARCHAR(80) CHARACTER SET LATIN NOT CASESPECIFIC, 7 start_dt DAte FORMAT 'YY/MM/DD', 8 end_dt DATE FORMAT 'YY/MM/DD', 9 datecol1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
6 Replies
REPLACE(1)						       MySQL Database System							REPLACE(1)

NAME
replace - a string-replacement utility SYNOPSIS
replace arguments DESCRIPTION
The replace utility program changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Invoke replace in one of the following ways: shell> replace from to [from to] ... -- file_name [file_name] ... shell> replace from to [from to] ... < file_name from represents a string to look for and to represents its replacement. There can be one or more pairs of strings. Use the -- option to indicate where the string-replacement list ends and the file names begin. In this case, any file named on the command line is modified in place, so you may want to make a copy of the original before converting it. replace prints a message indicating which of the input files it actually modifies. If the -- option is not given, replace reads the standard input and writes to the standard output. replace uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. It can be used to swap strings. For example, the following command swaps a and b in the given files, file1 and file2: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... The replace program is used by msql2mysql. See msql2mysql(1). replace supports the following options. o -?, -I Display a help message and exit. o -#debug_options Enable debugging. o -s Silent mode. Print less information what the program does. o -v Verbose mode. Print more information about what the program does. o -V Display version information and exit. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 REPLACE(1)