Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Open Source Backup Wordpress with Shell Script Post 302938558 by Neo on Tuesday 17th of March 2015 01:01:27 PM
Old 03-17-2015
Code:
"tar: Removing leading `/' from member names"

Just means that tar removes the leading "/" because when you tar the files, it will be relative to the directory where you untar the files.

If you untar a file and the archive contained the leading "/" then you would not have control over where the file is untarred, and then you might overwrite an exiting file by accident

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with a backup shell script

I'm having an issue with a problem A problem with this backup script is that if you backup the same file twice, you may get a warning message because you're overwriting an existing file. You could suppress the warning message, but a better solution is to save a series of backups distinguished by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dingosatemypant
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a backup shell script

am writing my very first shell script and need some assistance. What I need help on is three things in particular. 1) Do I need to use the sleep function after the tar command or does the script know to wait until tar finishes to move on to the next line? 2) Did I populate the variable DATE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rhm54
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with backup shell script

Hello all, I am trying to backup my system database and root filesystem on remote server that is mounted on my system using tar command. For the database, i use (cd /database; tar cvf file.tar .) for the Root filesystem, i use (cd /; tar uEvf file.tar .) both are to be backup on the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omoniyi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script

Hi, I am a linux newbie and I dont have any knowledge on scripting but this is my urgent requirement. I am suppose to write a backup script for 2 of my servers, could someone help me out please. below is my requirement Mail Server 1 : 10.0.0.1 Mail Server 2 : 10.0.0.2 Backup Server... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harry289
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to backup

Q: script to daily backup all databases in the server, retain only last 4 backps please anyone give me a reply (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssooraj72
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need to print the first date of the previous month in 20130101 format. i use the below script month_year=$(date +'%m%Y' | awk '!--$1{$1=12;$2--}') m=${month_year% *} y=$month_year##* } d=$(cal $m $y | paste -s - | awk '{print $NF}') firstdate=${printf '02d01%s' $y $m) echo $firstdate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vino1989
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to call Oracle archive backup script when file system reaches threshold value

Hello All, I need immediate help in creating shell script to call archivebkup.ksh script when archive file system capacity reaches threshold value or 60% Need to identify the unique file system that reaches threshold value. ex: capacity ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikanthdba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dear friends, I need your help. I need to create a bash script which can loop through $source_dir once a month, and find the backup of the last day of a given month for each of the 2 file types, as can be seen below. Assume that source_dir="/backup/daily" Assume that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joemb
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

hello guys i am new and i am using Solaris 8 as operating system. i have some CD and i want to install the data from it. Package and patches. Which command shall i use? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moh_abaloo
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)