Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Guest LDOMS on same subnet cant ping eachother Post 302938325 by selectstar on Saturday 14th of March 2015 11:08:49 AM
Old 03-14-2015
Hi Peasant, again, I cant thank you enough for your input.

So what we actually have is a t5-2 which has two sockets, 2x two port FC Cards and 4x gigabit Ethernet ports.

As you said the machine is split right down the middle with each root complex owning exactly half of the hardware including local Hard drives.

What we have is:
1x Primary Control domain (Control, IO, Service). Obviously all LDOMS are managed from the Primary.

1x Secondary (Or what some people call 'Alternate') IO, Service domain which can see bare metal Storage.

Im sure im telling you what you already know but it help me explain it out Smilie The idea of us have two IO, service domains (Priamry and Secondary) is that we can actually take one of them down (i.e for patching) and all Guest LDOMS will continue to run, route traffic in/out, see LUNS etc.

And this is the case. When i init 6 or shutdown the primary LDOM, all Guests continue to operate via the Secndary (Alternate) Domain. And vice-a-versa.

So when I create a guest LDOM, i make sure to create two VNET's, one pointing to the Primary VSW and the other to the Secondary VSW. And when creating new LDOMS, i alterante which switch vnet0 point to so that all traffic does always go through one switch.

And this is the same principle for DISKS, i use multipathing groups (MPGROUP) to ensure that guest can see LUNs from both IO, SERVICE domains.

I think you are correct about the IPMP guest settings, I am just reading up more about that.

I also don't pretend to completely understand the difference between the trunk policies (L2, L3 etc.). I am also doing some more reading on that.

FYI, we also have some T5-2 servers which not only have 2x two port FC cards but also 2x two port ehternet cards in addition to the 4x on board ethernet ports. These serers follow the same principle as the on i use in the original post, but onviously each root complex has 4 ethernet ports each for the trunk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix TCP/IP ping to other subnet

I have Digital UNIX V4.0B (Rev. 564) on alpha machine. I'm trying to acces network in subnet (192.168.1.x). Ip on Alpha comp. is from 192.168.3.X subnet. My default gateway on this network is 192.168.3.1 and it working OK from other machines. This machine is visible from same subnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ermingut
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Migrating existing Subnet to a new subnet and changing ip addresses in UNIX

Hi, My project needs to migrate the existing Subnet (255.255.255.0) to a new subnet and change the ipaddresses (currently C class). How can I do that. I need some information. John (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmarsh
0 Replies

3. Solaris

LDoms can't ping each other

I've got Sun Fire T2000 with two LDoms - primary and ldom1, both being Solaris 10 u8. Both can be accessed over the network (ssh, ping), both can access the network, but they can't ping or ssh to each other. I only use e1000g0 interface on T2000, the primary ldom has an address on it, ldm has a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mludvig
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for ping in your own subnet

I have a question for one who wants to help me. I want to create a bash script to ping IP-adresses. It must first ask me the beginnen IP, then the ending IP like: 192.168.100.1 - 192.168.100.255. When nothing is filled in, then it must find my subnet and ping that, like when my ip is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ugurgazi
14 Replies

5. Programming

putting numbers behind eachother

I want to make a program where you have to insert binary numbers like this: do { iBinary = getche(); }while(iBinary == 1 || iBinary == 0); after you get the numbers I want them to be placed behind eachother so you will get: input: 1 1 0 1 output: 1101 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Migrating Solaris 8, 9 to Guest Domains (LDOMs)

Hi Everyone, one question is it possible to migrate a physical standalone Solaris 8 or 9 OS to Guest Domain (LDOMs). If yes, can someone please provide steps to migrate these OS to LDOMs. Thanks, Kartheek. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

7. Linux

Ping check failed from Nagios master server on windows hosts in the same subnet

Hello All, We have added a windows host and its config files to Nagios master server and wanted to do a ping check alone at the moment however, the nagios master server identifies the host in its GUI and immediately disappears can anyone let me know the right approach to this one, We want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Help needed - trying to run commands in Guest LDoms from Control LDOM

Hi Folks, I am used to writing scripts to get info by running commands at local zones level from their respective global zone by using zlogin <localzone> "command>" while remaining at the global zone level. Can the same be done with Guest LDoms while remaining at the control LDOM level? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momin
4 Replies

9. Linux

Unable to ping Linux guest from win7 host

Hi, I am using win7 on my PC and installed VMware on it on which i am running linux I am unable to ping my linux guest from my win machine, but i can ping my windows host from linux guest : Below is my system configuration Linux root@localhost ~]# ifconfig eth0 Link... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chander_1987
9 Replies

10. IP Networking

Loop in /24 Subnet, No ping beyond .1 and .2

Running 3650 switch. I have this odd issue where I cannot get 4 new Centos 7 boxes pinging out on public IPs (nor pinging in), only gateway .1 and first public IP .2 This is what I see, which doesn't look normal. How do I fix this? The server itself is configured fine (Centos 7) # cat... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashed
0 Replies
vrport(1M)																vrport(1M)

NAME
vrport - Veritas Volume Replicator port management utility SYNOPSIS
vrport [-a | -r] data [port | portlow-porthigh [,port...]] vrport heartbeat [port] vrport vradmind [port] vrport vxrsyncd [port] DESCRIPTION
The vrport utility manages the various UDP and TCP ports used by Veritas Volume Replicator (VVR). VVR uses the UDP and TCP transport protocols to communicate between the Primary and Secondary. VVR exchanges three types of message between the Primary and Secondary: heartbeat, data and administrative control. The heartbeat messages are transmitted using the UDP protocol on the IANA approved 4145 UDP Port number. VVR can use either the UDP trans- port protocol or the TCP transport protocol to exchange data messages. VVR uses UDP Anonymous ports for data replication between Primary and the Secondary if the network protocol is UDP. VVR uses IANA approved 4145 TCP port number for TCP listener port on the Secondary and TCP Anonymous ports on the Primary for data replication if the network protocol is TCP. VVR uses IANA approved 8199 TCP port for communication between the vradmind daemons on the Primary and the Secondary. vradmind server pro- vides administration of VVR objects in a distributed environment. VVR uses 8989 TCP port number for communication between the vxrsyncd dae- mons on the Primary and the Secondary. Use vrport to display, change or set the port numbers used by VVR. You may have to change the port numbers to resolve a port number con- flict with other applications, to configure VVR to work in a firewall environment when using UDP network protocol by restricting the number of ports to replicate data between the Primary and the Secondary. The action performed by vrport depends on the specified keyword operand(s). When invoked with no arguments, vrport displays the port number(s) used for heartbeat, data, vradmind and vxrsyncd communication between the Primary and Secondary on the standard output. KEYWORDS
data [port | portlow-porthigh [,port...]] Without any arguments, the vrport data command displays the port number(s) used by VVR for data replication between the Primary and the Secondary. This is applicable only if you have chosen UDP for network protocol. With the port number(s) or range specified, restricts VVR to use the ports or list of ports specified for data replication. If the -a flag is specified, the vrport data command appends the given port numbers(s) or range to the existing port number(s) or range to be used for data replication. If the -r flag is specified, the vrport data command removes the given port number(s) or range from the existing port number(s) for data replication. You need to execute /usr/sbin/vxnetd, and pause and resume all RLINKs for VVR to use the new port information. heartbeat [port] Without the port argument, displays the UDP port number used to exchange heartbeat messages. With the port argument specified, sets the UDP port number to exchange heartbeat messages. Use the vradmin changeip command to update the RLINKs with the new port information. To have VVR use the new port number, enter the command /usr/sbin/vxnetd stop followed by /usr/sbin/vxnetd. vradmind [port] Without the port argument, displays the TCP port number used by the vradmind daemons for communication between the Primary and the Secondary. With the port argument specified, sets the TCP port number to be used by the vradmind daemons. The new port is used when the vradmind process is restarted. vxrsyncd [port] Without the port argument, displays the port the TCP port number used by vxrsyncd daemons for communication between the Primary and the Secondary hosts. With the port argument specified, command sets the TCP port number to be used by the vxrsyncd daemons. The new port is used when the vxrsyncd process is restarted. EXAMPLES
See the Veritas Volume Replicator Configuration Notes for examples. EXIT CODES
The vrport utility exits with a non-zero status if the attempted operation fails. A non-zero exit code is not a complete indicator of the problems encountered but denotes the first condition that prevented further execution of the utility. SEE ALSO
vradmin(1M),vxrlink(1M) Veritas Volume Replicator Administrator's Guide Veritas Volume Replicator Configuration Notes VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vrport(1M)