Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rsync failed
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Rsync failed Post 302937139 by robertdaleweir on Wednesday 4th of March 2015 12:21:29 AM
Old 03-04-2015
Rsync failed

I was backing up a home directory and had rsync fail on me. I noticed that it was trying to copy a large file (over 4.2 gigs). That made me wonder if the code is 32 bit and failed on the 2 ^32 (max size issue) The code which I invoked is as follows:

rsync -aPH --exclude-from=/var/tmp/ignorelist /home/me/ /run/media/me/ADATA\ #2/rsync-me/

It gave a message at failure as follows --->

Code:
Desktop/OSme/Web-Site-Backups/backup-5.4.2014_15-11-43_linux014.tar.gz
  4288446464  78%   32.15MB/s    0:00:36
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Broken pipe (32)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (1964386 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]
[root@puter ~]#

<---
I would like to know if anyone has experienced this error before?
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags for sample input and output as well as for sample code segments.

Last edited by robertdaleweir; 03-05-2015 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Add missing CODE tags.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

SFTP Failed---Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0

Hi, While I am trying SFTP my machine to another unix machine , it was working fine till 10 min back. But now i am getting the below error "Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0" Could you please someone help me to solve or analyise the root cause... Cheers:b:, Mahiban (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahiban
0 Replies

2. Solaris

please help in rsync

Dear all, I m trying to rsync a file remotely but it is throwing following error. #/opt/sfw/bin/rsync -v -a -e ssh user@xx.xx.xx.xx:/export/home/naresh/utils.sh bash: rsync: command not found rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far) rsync error: error in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
10 Replies

3. Solaris

Cygwin X Server error: xdmcp fatal error session failed session 23 failed for display

Hi, i got the following error when i tried to access the cygwin x server from a windows XP PC. "xdmcp fatal error session failed session 23 failed for display" Alternatively, when i tried to access the same Cygwin X Server from another windows XP PC which is on a different LAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HarishKumarM
3 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed

hi guys. I have configured rsync to make a mirror, but there is an error, I don't understand in the logfile: 2011/01/18 16:54:25 rsync on centos/ from UNKNOWN (212.120.196.127) 2011/01/18 15:56:00 rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes : Connection reset by peer (104)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync

Am I correct in assuming that the following command: rsync -a /a /b does not make any changes on /a if there are files on /b that are newer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync Help?

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to rsync and I've been tasked to "fix" an existing .sh to make it work the way I need it to. I have the following rsync set up on a cron job: /usr/local/bin/rsync --stats -qPzrtpl --delete --password-file=/var/run/.appprodrsync ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Russell P
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on rsync

Hi experts, We need copy 5TB data from one server to another (over a 10Gbps link). We plan to use rsync -av remote:/<path /local on destination server but there're few special requirements like: 1. data copy process should run only from 18:00 Hrs to 07:00 every day until copy is completed. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: magnus29
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with rsync: failed to set times on "/tmp/.": Not owner (1)

Hi, Here is my source host and folder details. $ hostname source-host $ id uid=600000208(src-user) gid=64688(src-user) groups=64688(src-user) $ ls -ltrd /web/Trn_File/data/ drwxrwxrwx 3 src-user src-user 4096 Feb 7 15:27 /web/Trn_File/data/ $ ls -ltrd /web/Trn_File/data/* drwxrwxrwx 8... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
rsync_selinux(8)					rsync Selinux Policy documentation					  rsync_selinux(8)

NAME
rsync_selinux - Security Enhanced Linux Policy for the rsync daemon DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux secures the rsync server via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have an extended attribute to define the file type. Policy governs the access daemons have to these files. If you want to share files using the rsync daemon, you must label the files and directories public_content_t. So if you created a special directory /var/rsync, you would need to label the directory with the chcon tool. chcon -t public_content_t /var/rsync To make this change permanent (survive a relabel), use the semanage command to add the change to file context configuration: semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_t "/var/rsync(/.*)?" This command adds the following entry to /etc/selinux/POLICYTYPE/contexts/files/file_contexts.local: /var/rsync(/.*)? system_u:object_r:publix_content_t:s0 Run the restorecon command to apply the changes: restorecon -R -v /var/rsync/ SHARING FILES
If you want to share files with multiple domains (Apache, FTP, rsync, Samba), you can set a file context of public_content_t and pub- lic_content_rw_t. These context allow any of the above domains to read the content. If you want a particular domain to write to the pub- lic_content_rw_t domain, you must set the appropriate boolean. allow_DOMAIN_anon_write. So for rsync you would execute: setsebool -P allow_rsync_anon_write=1 BOOLEANS
system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), rsync(1), chcon(1), setsebool(8), semanage(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 rsync_selinux(8)