Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search specific string logfile specific date range Post 302936555 by fpmurphy on Thursday 26th of February 2015 10:37:35 AM
Old 02-26-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by clx
Second check is, var+=, I don't think is a shells specific syntax.
It is valid syntax for Bash
Code:
str="Hello"
$ str+=" "
$ str+="World"
$ echo $str
Hello World
$

Also works in the Korn shell
This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Data Between a specific Date Range from logs

I need to extract data from logs for a mentioned date range..Its quite urgent can anyone help me out with it..its to be written in unix..just thought its better to specify.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Coping Files for a specific date range

Hi, we have file name appended by date in yymmdd format .. ex: abc090101.dat I need to copy all the files between abc090101 to abc090331.. could you plz help me.. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kolariya4u
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a specific string

Hi, I have following requirement. Pls suggest. To search a string in a file which is combination of character and number(always 9 digit, but numeric). if found then caputure the exit return code as 0 else 1 , if 0 then next job can be triggerd. If exit code is 1, should return a failure... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: zooby
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pattern search using grep in specific range of files

Hi, I am trying to do the following: grep -l <pattern> <files to be searched for> In <files to be searched for> , all files should of some specific date like "Apr 8" not all files in current directory. I just to search within files Apr 8 files so that it won't search in entire list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a specific data in a file based on a date range

Hi, Currently I am working on a script to automate the process of converting the log file from binary into text format. To achieve this, partly I am depending on my application’s utility for this conversion and the rest I am relying on shell commands to search for directory, locate the file and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent request to consider:Search specific name in a file and fetch specific entries

Hi all, I have 2 files, One file contain data like this FHIT CS CHRM1 PDE3A PDE3B HSP90AA1 PTK2 HTR1A ESR1 PARP1 PLA2G1B These names are mentioned in the second file(Please see attached second file) as # Drug_Target_X_Gene_Name:(Where X can be any number (1-1000) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column range in a non-delimited file with a string!

Hi All, I will need an help with respect to replacing a range of columns on a non-delimited file using a particular string pattern. Say file input is MYNUMBERD000000-BAN CHUE INSNTS ** N+ MYAREDSDD000000+BAN CHUE INSNTS ** N+ MYDERFFFSD00000-GIR PENT - ACH ** ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a specific String in a log file for a specific date range

Hi, I have log file which rolls out every second which is as this. HttpGenRequest - -<!--OXi dbPublish--> <created="2014-03-24 23:45:37" lastMsgId="" requestTime="0.0333"> <response request="getOutcomeDetails" code="114" message="Request found no matching data" debug="" provider="undefined"/>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikprakash
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to search specific string in a log

Hi, I have a log file containing below data 12/3/14 12:43:59 AM WIT |Performance threshold: elapsed time = 3152... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csm231
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)