Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to copy the two most recently added files to another directory - HP-UX? Post 302936173 by mattkoz on Monday 23rd of February 2015 11:52:44 AM
Old 02-23-2015
How to copy the two most recently added files to another directory - HP-UX?

Hello,

I am attempting to find and copy the two most recently added files to a specific directory, that fit a specific format.

I was able to find the command to list the two most recently added files in directory:
Code:
ls -1t | head -n 2

The command lists the two files names in a vertical list, top being most recent.

Q1: How can I extend this command to only select the most recent files with a specific format?

Q2: How can I copy over the files to a new directory once the proper files are chosen?

Format: 'OUS_*_*_*.html'

Attempt:

Code:
# Does not select two most recent files
find . -type f $fileNameFormat -exec cp -pf {} $testDestDir \;

Last edited by mattkoz; 02-23-2015 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Added missing character in code example

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Copy Files Changed Recently

I have been toying around with a script that will copy all files altered in a development directory over to a testing directory and have been trying to construct the command to meet my needs. Basically I am using find in a directory to see what files have changed over the past 24 hours. Then if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find recently updated files in home directory

Is there a shell command that will allow me to list index files in the /home directory for all users on a server that have been updated within the past 24 hours? (e.g. index.htm .html .php in/home/user1/public_html /home/user2/public_html /home/user3/public_html etc ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kain
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rebuild/update fuppes database if files are added/removed from directory

The title says it all. I have a upnp server running fuppes that is connected to my xbox360. In order to see the files on the xbox360 i have to manually update and rebuild the database anytime i add or remove files. I have tried cron jobs to do it every 20 min which works, but if I am streaming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tr6699
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtring and copy recently files and another folder

Hi I have the following files A320_ZONAL_v24_-_AMM_Suffix_jess_2011-05-31.xls Jun 10 17:21 A320_ZONAL_v24_-_AMM_Suffix_jess_.xls Nov 10 17:21 A320_ZONAL_v24_-_AMM_Suffix_jess_2011-03-31.xls Nov 23 20:21 And I need only the more recent one using UNIX timestamp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeiregh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the older files other than the recently added 5 files

Number of files will get created in a folder automatically daily.. so i hav to delete the older files other than the recently added 5 files.. Could u help me through this..?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to archive old files from the recently added 10 files?

Hi there, I am very new to unix and having trouble with a fairly simple statement: cd /user ls -t -c1 | sed -ne '11,$p' | mv xargs archive/ What I want the code to do is sort all files in a directory by timestamp, select all of the files after the 10th file, and then move those files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSIReady
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select all files added to a directory in the past 5 mins (HP-UX)?

Hey everyone, I need to select all files that were added to a specific directory in the past 5 mins and copy them over to a different directory. I am using HP-UX OS which does not have support for amin, cmin, and mmin. B/c of this, I am creating a temp file and will use the find -newer command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattkoz
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rsync added new folders after copy?

Hi guys, Don't really know much about unix or anything, just starting to mess around a little bit to have more understanding in general. So, I tried using rsync to copy my macbook pro backup/clone from an external drive I have to another external drive. I ended up using... "sudo rsync -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbjeebs
1 Replies
SHAR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   SHAR(1)

NAME
shar -- create a shell archive of files SYNOPSIS
shar file ... DESCRIPTION
shar writes an sh(1) shell script to the standard output which will recreate the file hierarchy specified by the command line operands. Directories will be recreated and must be specified before the files they contain (the find(1) utility does this correctly). shar is normally used for distributing files by ftp(1) or mail(1). SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), tar(1), uuencode(1) BUGS
shar makes no provisions for special types of files or files containing magic characters. EXAMPLES
To create a shell archive of the program ls(1) and mail it to Rick: cd ls shar `find . -print` | mail -s "ls source" rick To recreate the program directory: mkdir ls cd ls ... <delete header lines and examine mailed archive> ... sh archive HISTORY
The shar command appears in 4.4BSD. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
It is easy to insert trojan horses into shar files. It is strongly recommended that all shell archive files be examined before running them through sh(1). Archives produced using this implementation of shar may be easily examined with the command: egrep -v '^[X#]' shar.file 4.4BSD June 6, 1993 4.4BSD