Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware USB power cycling poblem on RPI Post 302936108 by vthielen on Monday 23rd of February 2015 04:27:22 AM
Old 02-23-2015
Linux USB cycling problem

Thanks for the help,
The kernel doesn't crash, only the USB part does (not detecting new devices that are plugged in).

I thought of using modules as well, but then I have to get the sourcecode, recompile the kernel and on the next RPI upgrade the problem will reappear.
I think it is unavoidable that I will have to reboot each time this happens (which will probably be about once a day)

I always thought the advantage of Linux over windows was that you didn't have to reboot to resolve silly problems like this...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Power Cycling

Hello Friends , I have been reading some of the Sys Admin notes when i came across a term "Power Cycling" Can anybody please explain what this means Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DPAI
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How Can I To Power Off My Computer?

I have a SCO UNIX 5.0.6. and a computer ATX. My Question is: How can i to power off my computer without to push the power button? :confused: Please help me. :( Thanks :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vhabalos
1 Replies

3. AIX

How to tell Power 4/5/6

I'm looking for a way - from the command line - to tell whether a given AIX system I have is a Power5, Power4 or Power6 machine - it seems like there would be an option to 'uname' but I couldn't find one. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Poblem with libX11.so.4

good evening everyone i am getting this library problem with intel platform architec :confused: after installing the entire sun-5.10 with a hard configuration intel945chipset core2dual processor & 2GB ram with disk sapace of 40gb. after install the entire os my machine is rebooting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravinder singh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH switches editin modes when cycling through history. Why?

Hello all, Working in KSH using Solaris, the default editor is VIM. So, per session, I run a small rc script which calls export editor=emacs This works for commands at the prompt. But if I cycle through command history (Using the up arrow) the command line editor defaults to VIM. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eggmatters
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

WGET cycling on an updating page

Hello, I am experiencing an issue while downloading a few pages using wget. All of them work without a problem except one which is a page that does a tail on the log and as a result is constantly getting updated. wget here seems to run endlessly and needs to be manually killed. I wanted to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prafulnama
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB-USB cable between linux and windows computers

Is there an easy way to setup a cross-over cable (USB-USB) between a linux box and a windows PC? My 2 machines are next to each other but I really do not want to keep transfering my files using my USB drive. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

8. IP Networking

Is bond0 ready and a bonding interface? - 4G Bonding Router Problems (RPI)

HI all, First post on the forum, and my first proper project on the Paspberry Pi, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am trying to turn my Pi in to a 3G/4G Bonding router. I have been researching and trying this for a week or so now. The basic plan is to have up to 6 ZTE MF823 USB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elliottlc
0 Replies
reboot(1M)																reboot(1M)

NAME
reboot - restart the operating system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/reboot [-dlnq] [boot_arguments] The reboot utility restarts the kernel. The kernel is loaded into memory by the PROM monitor, which transfers control to the loaded kernel. Although reboot can be run by the super-user at any time, shutdown(1M) is normally used first to warn all users logged in of the impending loss of service. See shutdown(1M) for details. The reboot utility performs a sync(1M) operation on the disks, and then a multi-user reboot is initiated. See init(1M) for details. On systems, reboot may also update the boot archive as needed to ensure a successful reboot. The reboot utility normally logs the reboot to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M), and places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /var/adm/wtmpx. These actions are inhibited if the -n or -q options are present. Normally, the system reboots itself at power-up or after crashes. The following options are supported: -d Force a system crash dump before rebooting. See dumpadm(1M) for information on configuring system crash dumps. -l Suppress sending a message to the system log daemon, syslogd(1M) about who executed reboot. -n Avoid calling sync(2) and do not log the reboot to syslogd(1M) or to /var/adm/wtmpx. The kernel still attempts to sync filesystems prior to reboot, except if the -d option is also present. If -d is used with -n, the kernel does not attempt to sync filesystems. -q Quick. Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. The following operands are supported: boot_arguments An optional boot_arguments specifies arguments to the uadmin(2) function that are passed to the boot program and kernel upon restart. The form and list of arguments is described in the boot(1M) and kernel(1M) man pages.. If the arguments are specified, whitespace between them is replaced by single spaces unless the whitespace is quoted for the shell. If the boot_arguments begin with a hyphen, they must be preceded by the -- delimiter (two hyphens) to denote the end of the reboot argument list. Example 1: Passing the -r and -v Arguments to boot In the following example, the delimiter -- (two hyphens) must be used to separate the options of reboot from the arguments of boot(1M). example# reboot -dl -- -rv Example 2: Rebooting Using a Specific Disk and Kernel The following example reboots using a specific disk and kernel. example# reboot disk1 kernel.test/unix /var/adm/wtmpx login accounting file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mdb(1), boot(1M), dumpadm(1M), fsck(1M), halt(1M), init(1M), kernel(1M), shutdown(1M), sync(1M), syslogd(1M), sync(2), uadmin(2), reboot(3C), attributes(5) The reboot utility does not execute the scripts in /etc/rcnum.d or execute shutdown actions in inittab(4). To ensure a complete shutdown of system services, use shutdown(1M) or init(1M) to reboot a Solaris system. 11 Apr 2005 reboot(1M)