Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to create LVM snapshots?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to create LVM snapshots? Post 302933900 by babinlonston on Tuesday 3rd of February 2015 12:19:17 AM
Old 02-03-2015
@admin_db, Snapshots are won't list in df -h. Instead list the Logical volumes
Code:
# sudo  lvs -o +devices

You have created your filesystem using
Code:
# mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/VGExaDb/data_snap

Then trying to mount with ext3 how it will mount ? Mount it using
Code:
# mount  /dev/VGExaDb/data_snap /snap_db

Hope this will mount.. Please provide us which operating system you using by running command
Code:
# lsb_release -a

If you need to know more about how to work with snapshot please feel free to read my article right here

How to Take 'Snapshot of Logical Volume and Restore' in LVM - Part III

Last edited by rbatte1; 02-03-2015 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags
This User Gave Thanks to babinlonston For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Is there a tutorial on how to create RAID 1 on top of lvm?

Hi, there are tons of RAID1 tutorials, but none of them deal with lvm. The problem is that I want to expand my current lvm partition over RAID1 rather than creating a new lvm partition after RAID1 is created. My master harddrive has lvm partition. I'm wondering how to create a RAID1 image of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

create /var lvm during install

Hi All, How do I create /var as LVM type during install? I want my new OS to have /var as LVM so that I could extend it on the fly. Thanks for any comment you may add. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Is this how LVM snapshots work?

Hi guys. I'm confused how LVM snapshots work. Here is what i understood: 1. we have a Logical Volume holding our data. 2. we make a snap shot of it with this command: lvcreate -L 1000M -s -n backup /dev/vg01/lv013. mount the snap shot 4. take your backup 5. remove the snapshot --> in this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Create volume using LVM over 2 physical disks

I wanted to know how we can combine volumes over 2 physical drives. # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 42.9 GB, 42949672960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5221 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikn3
16 Replies

7. Linux

Create LVM of 2 Hard Drives while installing Centos 6.4.

Hello, I have install 2 HDD in my server and now installing the Centos6.4. I want create the LVM of those 2 HDD's so while i'm doing this it is not allowing me to select these 2 disk's from allowable disk list. Same problem if i tried to make Software RAID with creating LVM. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using parted command to create LVM partitions

Oracle Linux 6.6 To create Physical Volumes for Volume groups (LVM) , the disk need to be partitioned to LVM type ie. 'Linux LVM' type . In fdisk , this can done by choosing 8e when prompted for partition type. Since it is easy to script (non-interactive), I use parted command rather than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John K
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

I need help setting up LVM snapshots on Ubuntu 16.04

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on a HP laptop with a core I3 processor. I am trying to run mariaDB and do hot backups to disk. In order to do that I wanted to create an LVM snapshot and backup the snapshot for a point in time backup, possibly using tar. I included a snapshot of the gparted app showing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
1 Replies
PVCK(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   PVCK(8)

NAME
pvck - check physical volume metadata SYNOPSIS
pvck [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-v|--verbose] [--labelsector] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...] DESCRIPTION
pvck checks physical volume LVM metadata for consistency. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --labelsector sector By default, 4 sectors of PhysicalVolume are scanned for an LVM label, starting at sector 0. This parameter allows you to specify a different starting sector for the scan and is useful for recovery situations. For example, suppose the partition table is corrupted or lost on /dev/sda, but you suspect there was an LVM partition at approximately 100 MB. This area of the disk may be scanned by using the --labelsector parameter with a value of 204800 (100 * 1024 * 1024 / 512 = 204800): pvck --labelsector 204800 /dev/sda Note that a script can be used with --labelsector to automate the process of finding LVM labels. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), pvcreate(8), pvscan(8) vgck(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) PVCK(8)