Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do You manage different program versions? Post 302933613 by HL1234 on Saturday 31st of January 2015 10:22:56 AM
Old 01-31-2015
Wrench How do You manage different program versions?

Hallo,
I have an general question which happens when installing software by compiling them self. I'm using FreeBSD system 10.0 and the ports. for info, see: http--en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD_Ports.
As I installed BSD for some years there was (i.e.) perl-14 installed. Now, when doing some upgrades, perl-16 is needed by some ports. The problem is: some other older programs, that are still installed, require perl-14 when I do a update.

Can I general have perl-14 and perl-16 installed at the same time on a Unix machine?

And if yes - what is when a program compilation just only recommend "perl" and can not find the right version?

When no - how can I compile the older programs when there are no upgrades it?

I get the same problem i.e. with python27 and python24. How is it managed in general under UNIX that programs can compile when they needed different version of other programs (such like perl, python) or libraries?

(to explain: I understand updating as installing error fixes and upgrading as install a new version of a program)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

manage the wtmp file

Here's a usefull perl script to trim the wtmp file, in case it got too big, which happens sometimes, or got curropted (which also happens often). You could learn from here how to parse the wtmp file... but of course for just reading its content always simply use "last" like Neo said.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2unix
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to manage multiple versions of a set of shell and SQL script utilities

Hi all --- I have the need to manage multiple versions of a set of utility scripts -- both shell and SQL and other .dat files. I am wondering if anyone out there knows of a good way to "PATH" to SQL and text files in a way similar to how PATH facilitates finding executables in a pre-specified... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DennisB
2 Replies

3. Programming

Executing an .ec program in different informix versions

Hi all, I tried writing an .ec program connecting to informix database from solaris platform Sun 5.7 informix version that i had to used when i compiled the program was 9.21.UC3 the binary when i ported solaris box with informix version 9.40.UC5 i am unable to run that i am encountering... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manage Mail

I have recently taken over a UNIX system from another programmer and am just beginning to learn UNIX. When I enter the MAIL command, the data scrolls off the screen for five minutes. Some of it is several years old. Can I tell the MAIL command to give me the last few items or the last few... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SUSANR9999
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

manage function's output

Hi all, how i can get an calculated value from a function for exemple my function is like function getMyPseudo { .. .. echo "Rambler" } i need to put the printed string into a variable sommeting like : MYPSEUDO=getMyPseudo print $MYPSEUDO in that case, the out put i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambler
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to manage several versions of Perl modules during the install?

Hello, I would really appreciate any advice on this issue: My Perl Module Environment: /usr/lpp/perl/lib/5.8.7 => has the Perl modules that come with the base Perl installation. Comes first in @INC concatination. /usr/lpp/perl/lib/site_perl/5.8.7 => has all my installed Perl modules... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genya01
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Thrown in position, need to manage AIX 5.3

Hey Everyone, First post and I'm coming here for help. Basically, the company I work for has been put in a weird situation with staff turnover. I used to manage an application on our IBM p5 running AIX 5.3, but I am now managing the whole server itself. I have no experience, no box to test... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pvpkife
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to manage parameter in alias?

I make alias in bashrc file and typed it on prompt, alias tes='echo "$1"xx"$2"xxx"$3"xxxx' $ tes a b c xxxxxxxxx a b c what's happened to the shell here ?, and also, alias tes='echo "$3"xx"$2"xxx"$1"xxxx $ tes a b c xxxxxxxxx a b c anyone sincerely is to help me.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
2 Replies
MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink(3pm)

NAME
MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink - Linked Wikipedia by writing {{wikipedia:<lang> <word>}} DESCRIPTION
Normally, to hyperlink to the Wikipedia, you'd write: [wikipedia Hello](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello) This plugin lets you write just {{wikipedia Hello}} not just Link to Wikipedia in English page, you can use many languages {{wikipedia:ja a~XXa~XXa~XXa~XXa~XX}} {{wikipedia:fr Salut}} Actually, if you wrote this without a language ex.{{wikipedia Foo}}, select location of Wikipedia Link is getting default-language setting of MojoMojo. METHODS
format_content_order The WikipediaLink formatter has no special requirements in terms of the order it gets run in, so it has a priority of 17. format_content Calls the formatter. Takes a ref to the content as well as the context object. process Here the actual formatting is done. SEE ALSO
MojoMojo and Module::Pluggable::Ordered. AUTHORS
Dai Okabayashi, "bayashi at cpan . org" LICENSE
This library is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2010-05-23 MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink(3pm)