Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Need help] perl script to find the occurance of string from a text file Post 302932206 by balajesuri on Tuesday 20th of January 2015 02:09:22 AM
Old 01-20-2015
This is a crude form.. written quickly in 5 mins. It's not efficient and is a dirty job. If you see.. there are nested loops and if you have large input and keyword files, it might bring down the efficiency.
Code:
#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my ( %keywords );
my ( $line, $key, $value );

open K, "< keyword.txt";
while ( $line = <K> ) {
    chomp ( $line );
    $keywords { $line } = 0;
}
close K;

open I, "< input.txt";
while ( $line = <I> ) {
    chomp ( $line );
    foreach $key ( keys %keywords ) {
        while ( $line =~ /$key/g ) {
            $keywords{ $key }++;
        }
    }
}
close I;

while ( ( $key, $value ) = each %keywords ) {
    print "$key has occured $value times.\n";
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for command(s)/ script to find a text string within a file

I need to search through all files with different file suffixes in a directory structure to locate any files containing a specific string (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrwelden
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count string occurance in a file hourly

Hi, I file that has all the status for one day (24hours). Now what I want to do is to count the occurence of a string in its output hourly like for example count occurance of successful or asynchronous clear destinon for every hour and redirect it to file. Please see sample file below. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String search - Command to find second occurance

Hi, I am new to Unix world. Is there any command which can directly return the second occurance of a particular string in a file? Basically, I want to read the contents of the file from the second occurance of a particualr string. Can be implemented using a loop, but am just wondering if there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabhsinha23
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Searching for a string in a text file problem

Looking for a bit of help. I need to search for a string of words, but unfortunately these words are located on separate lines. for example the text output is: United Chanmpions Ronaldo Liverpool Losers Torres and my script code is print("DEBUG - checking file message"); while... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: meevagh
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in text file

Hello! Please, help me to write such script. I have some text file with name filename.txt I must check if this file contains string "test-string-first", I must cut from this file string which follows string "keyword-string:" and till first white-space and save it to some variable. For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing last occurance of string in text

I have text file as follows and would like to remove the last occurance of "UNION ALL" string and replace @@ with single quote ('). Input text in file is with temp as ( ( select ----------- where OPERATION = @@B@@ and OBJECTTYPE = @@P@@ and start_time desc ) UNION ALL ( select... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find repeated string in a text file

I have a text file where I need to find the string = ST*850* This string is repetaed several times in the file, so I need to know how many times it appears in the file, this is the text files: ISA*00* *00* *08*925485USNR *ZZ*IMSALADDERSP... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucosss
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in a text file

Dear all, I want to find all the "," in my text file and then replace the commas to a tab. I found a script online but I don't know how to modify the script for my case. Any one can help? Thank you. @echo off &setlocal set "search=%1" set "replace=%2" set "textfile=Input.txt" set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert text after the first occurance of searched string entry in a file

My server xml file has huge data part of which i'm sharing below. I wish to add the below text held by variable "addthisline" after the closing braces i.e --> once the first </Connector> tag is found. addthisline="I need to be inserted after the comments" Thus my searchstring is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)