Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardware raid patching
Operating Systems Solaris Hardware raid patching Post 302931174 by jegaraman on Sunday 11th of January 2015 12:41:44 PM
Old 01-11-2015
Yes it is an LSI integrated RAID controller....
How to check whether the root file system is under mirror....
Rgds
Rj

---------- Post updated at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:58 AM ----------

Dear Hicks ,

Thanks for the detailed information.

And also i came to know these servers are not having redundancy.Since because they have implemented Hardware RAID here .So customer is feeling that there is a single point of failure in case of rollback.Taking image backup also they are saying it will take downtime and longer duration.

Some of my Queries are as below.
1. In order to do the Hardware RAID servers for patching.
what are the pre checks that we need to do.
2. After installing the patch , what and all we need to check.

Thanks for you help in advance.....
rgds
rj

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Hardware RAID

I don't understood why on SPARC-Platforms have not present RAID-Controller ? Sorry for my bad english, but it's crazy always setup software RAID !!! I whanna Hardware RAID and when i can find solution ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
7 Replies

2. Solaris

how to hardware RAID 1 on T5120

Hi, I have t5120 sparc and I have 2 146 G drives in the system. I will be installing solaris 10 and also want the system mirrored using Hardware RAID "1" The System did come preinstalled as it comes from sun. I did not do much on it. I booted system using boot cdrom -s gave format... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. Solaris

T2000 Hardware RAID

Hi, I have a root with hardware RAID on c0t0d0 and c0t2d0. I would like to set the boot device sequence in OBP for both hdds. I have checked in ls -l /dev/rdsk/ for the path of c0t2d0 but it does not exist. Can anyone shed some lights on this? AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: honmin
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Hardware Raid - LiveUpgrade

Hi, I have a question. Do LiveUpgrade supports hardware raid? How to choose the configuration of the system disk for Solaris 10 SPARC? 1st Hardware RAID-1 and UFS 2nd Hardware RAID-1 and ZFS 3rd SVM - UFS and RAID1 4th Software RAID-1 and ZFS I care about this in the future to take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

6. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Patching on Raid 0 Disk

Dear All , We need to do patching on one Solaris Server , where we have raid 0 configured. What is the process to patch a Server if RAID 0 (Concat/Stripe) is there. Below is the sample output. # metadb flags first blk block count a m pc luo 16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware RAID using three disks

Dear All , Pl find the below command , # raidctl -l Controller: 1 Volume:c1t0d0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.3.0 # raidctl -l c1t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID Sub Size ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
10 Replies
ATARAID(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ATARAID(4)

NAME
ataraid -- ATA software RAID support SYNOPSIS
device ata device ataraid DESCRIPTION
The ataraid driver provides support for so-called software RAID (sometimes referred to as fake RAID or pseudo RAID). When a controller that supports software RAID is instructed to create a RAID array, its BIOS writes data structures in a specific metadata format to the disks. These data structures are picked up by the ataraid driver, so that FreeBSD can work with the array. The ataraid driver has to understand the specific metadata format of a controller BIOS in order to support its RAID capabilities. Read-only support for a metadata format means that FreeBSD can use the given RAID array for normal read/write operations. Creation and rebuild of such arrays has to be done from the controller BIOS. Read and write support for a metadata format means that FreeBSD can use the given RAID array for normal read/write operations. Additionally, the atacontrol(8) utility can be used to create, rebuild, update and fail such RAID arrays. The ataraid driver can read the following metadata formats: o Adaptec HostRAID o Highpoint V2 RocketRAID o Highpoint V3 RocketRAID o Intel MatrixRAID o Integrated Technology Express (ITE) o JMicron o LSI Logic V2 MegaRAID o LSI Logic V3 MegaRAID o NVIDIA MediaShield o Promise FastTrak o Silicon Image Medley o Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) o VIA Tech V-RAID o FreeBSD PseudoRAID The ataraid driver can write the following metadata formats: o Highpoint V2 RocketRAID o Intel MatrixRAID o JMicron o Promise FastTrak o Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) o VIA Tech V-RAID o FreeBSD PseudoRAID It is also possible to use software RAID on controllers that do not have special software RAID capabilities. See atacontrol(8) for details. FILES
/dev/ar* ATA RAID device nodes SEE ALSO
ata(4), atacontrol(8) CAVEATS
RAID5 is not supported at this time. Code exists, but it neither uses nor maintains parity information. AUTHORS
The ataraid driver was written by Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 17, 2006 BSD