Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardware raid patching
Operating Systems Solaris Hardware raid patching Post 302931172 by hicksd8 on Sunday 11th of January 2015 11:57:08 AM
Old 01-11-2015
Your raidctl output at the end of your post says that, as you already know, you have two hardware raid1 mirrored drives. The disk/raid controller is presenting this pair of drives as one disk to the O/S. Control, writing and maintenance of this mirror lies solely with the hardware raid controller. The O/S thinks that it is talking to a single disk.

There is no issue if you carry out normal O/S patching on the system. Usual precautions with regards backup/recovery.

If you think this should be an abnormal process due to the presence of the hardware raid1 controller please describe why you think that.

---------- Post updated at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:48 PM ----------

I think that you might be being put off by the fact that the LSI hardware raid controller is integrated into the T5220.

If you had fitted an add-in raid controller card and through it's management console mirrored two disks and presented them to the host as one drive (so the host is unaware of the mirror), then the raid controller is just a SCSI controller as far as the host hardware is concerned.

What you have there is no different apart from the raid controller has been integrated by Sun (Oracle) into the hardware.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Hardware RAID

I don't understood why on SPARC-Platforms have not present RAID-Controller ? Sorry for my bad english, but it's crazy always setup software RAID !!! I whanna Hardware RAID and when i can find solution ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
7 Replies

2. Solaris

how to hardware RAID 1 on T5120

Hi, I have t5120 sparc and I have 2 146 G drives in the system. I will be installing solaris 10 and also want the system mirrored using Hardware RAID "1" The System did come preinstalled as it comes from sun. I did not do much on it. I booted system using boot cdrom -s gave format... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. Solaris

T2000 Hardware RAID

Hi, I have a root with hardware RAID on c0t0d0 and c0t2d0. I would like to set the boot device sequence in OBP for both hdds. I have checked in ls -l /dev/rdsk/ for the path of c0t2d0 but it does not exist. Can anyone shed some lights on this? AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: honmin
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Hardware Raid - LiveUpgrade

Hi, I have a question. Do LiveUpgrade supports hardware raid? How to choose the configuration of the system disk for Solaris 10 SPARC? 1st Hardware RAID-1 and UFS 2nd Hardware RAID-1 and ZFS 3rd SVM - UFS and RAID1 4th Software RAID-1 and ZFS I care about this in the future to take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

6. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Patching on Raid 0 Disk

Dear All , We need to do patching on one Solaris Server , where we have raid 0 configured. What is the process to patch a Server if RAID 0 (Concat/Stripe) is there. Below is the sample output. # metadb flags first blk block count a m pc luo 16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware RAID using three disks

Dear All , Pl find the below command , # raidctl -l Controller: 1 Volume:c1t0d0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.3.0 # raidctl -l c1t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID Sub Size ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
10 Replies
vparutil(1M)															      vparutil(1M)

NAME
vparutil - get and set SCSI parameters for SCSI controllers from a virtual partition SYNOPSIS
dev_path dev_path dev_path scsi_id] scsi_rate] DESCRIPTION
The command gets and sets SCSI parameters for SCSI controllers within a running virtual partition. When setting the SCSI parameters using the option, the virtual partition which owns the specified SCSI controller must be in the down state. If not, the command will fail with the appropriate error code. The SCSI parameters for a given SCSI controller must first be set (from the firmware BCH prompt or using the option) before the parameters can be retrieved using the option. The command is allowed on Itanium(R)-based platforms for compatibility. No action is taken for the command. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Deletes an entry for the specified SCSI controller at dev_path from the SCSI table. Gets the SCSI parameters for the specified SCSI controller at dev_path. Sets the SCSI parameters for the specified SCSI controller at dev_path. Operands recognizes the following command-line operands: dev_path The device path of the SCSI controller. id The SCSI ID for the specified controller (defaults to 7). rate The SCSI rate for the specified controller. This parameter can have one of two values: for the corresponding fast wide and ultra wide SCSI interfaces. Note For managing SCSI controllers, use corresponding SCSI utilities. For further information refer to SECURITY RESTRICTIONS
This command is restricted to processes owned by superuser. When virtual partition flexible administrative capability is enabled, only a Designated-Admin vPar can set SCSI parameters for SCSI con- trollers. EXAMPLES
Set the SCSI ID for controller at 0/0/2/0 to 3 with the fast wide rate: RETURN VALUE
Successful. Invalid SCSI controller specification. Invalid SCSI ID. Could not communicate with virtual partition monitor. Virtual partition which owns SCSI controller is not in down state. Internal firmware call failed. Other error. AUTHOR
was developed by the Hewlett-Packard Company. SEE ALSO
vparadmin(1M), vparboot(1M), vparcreate(1M), vparconfig(1M), vpardump(1M), vparefiutil(1M), vparenv(1M), vparextract(1M), vparmodify(1M), vparreloc(1M), vparremove(1M), vparreset(1M), vparstatus(1M), vparresources(5), vpartition(5), vpmon(5). vparutil(1M)