Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardware raid patching
Operating Systems Solaris Hardware raid patching Post 302931162 by hicksd8 on Sunday 11th of January 2015 08:35:00 AM
Old 01-11-2015
What hardware is it?

When you say hardware raid 1 do you mean using the integrated LSI raid controller OEM'd by Sun (using raidctl command)?

If so, you can disregard the raid mirror as far as patching is concerned. Solaris does not even know the mirror is there (because it's a hardware raid; the system controller (SC) knows it's there) so patching is not a problem. Assuming the root filesystem is mirrored the patching operation will patch both mirrors (root filesystem copies).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Hardware RAID

I don't understood why on SPARC-Platforms have not present RAID-Controller ? Sorry for my bad english, but it's crazy always setup software RAID !!! I whanna Hardware RAID and when i can find solution ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
7 Replies

2. Solaris

how to hardware RAID 1 on T5120

Hi, I have t5120 sparc and I have 2 146 G drives in the system. I will be installing solaris 10 and also want the system mirrored using Hardware RAID "1" The System did come preinstalled as it comes from sun. I did not do much on it. I booted system using boot cdrom -s gave format... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. Solaris

T2000 Hardware RAID

Hi, I have a root with hardware RAID on c0t0d0 and c0t2d0. I would like to set the boot device sequence in OBP for both hdds. I have checked in ls -l /dev/rdsk/ for the path of c0t2d0 but it does not exist. Can anyone shed some lights on this? AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: honmin
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Hardware Raid - LiveUpgrade

Hi, I have a question. Do LiveUpgrade supports hardware raid? How to choose the configuration of the system disk for Solaris 10 SPARC? 1st Hardware RAID-1 and UFS 2nd Hardware RAID-1 and ZFS 3rd SVM - UFS and RAID1 4th Software RAID-1 and ZFS I care about this in the future to take... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
1 Replies

6. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Patching on Raid 0 Disk

Dear All , We need to do patching on one Solaris Server , where we have raid 0 configured. What is the process to patch a Server if RAID 0 (Concat/Stripe) is there. Below is the sample output. # metadb flags first blk block count a m pc luo 16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware RAID using three disks

Dear All , Pl find the below command , # raidctl -l Controller: 1 Volume:c1t0d0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.3.0 # raidctl -l c1t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID Sub Size ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
10 Replies
LVS(8)                                                        System Manager's Manual                                                       LVS(8)

NAME
lvs - report information about logical volumes SYNOPSIS
lvs [-a|--all] [--aligned] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--ignorelockingfailure] [--nameprefixes] [--noheadings] [--nosuffix] [-o|--options [+]Field[,Field]] [-O|--sort [+|-]Key1[,[+|-]Key2[,...]]] [-P|--partial] [--rows] [--segments] [--separator Separator] [--unbuffered] [--units hHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] [--unquoted] [-v|--verbose] [--version] [VolumeGroupName [VolumeGroupName...]] DESCRIPTION
lvs produces formatted output about logical volumes. OPTIONS
See lvm(8) for common options. --all Include information in the output about internal Logical Volumes that are components of normally-accessible Logical Volumes, such as mirrors, but which are not independently accessible (e.g. not mountable). The names of such Logical Volumes are enclosed within square brackets in the output. For example, after creating a mirror using 'lvcreate -m1 --mirrorlog disk', this option will reveal three internal Logical Volumes, with suffixes mimage_0, mimage_1, and mlog. --aligned Use with --separator to align the output columns. --nameprefixes Add an "LVM2_" prefix plus the field name to the output. Useful with --noheadings to produce a list of field=value pairs that can be used to set environment variables (for example, in udev(7) rules). --noheadings Suppress the headings line that is normally the first line of output. Useful if grepping the output. --nosuffix Suppress the suffix on output sizes. Use with --units (except h and H) if processing the output. -o, --options Comma-separated ordered list of columns. Precede the list with '+' to append to the default selection of columns instead of replac- ing it. Use -o lv_all to select all logical volume columns, and -o seg_all to select all logical volume segment columns. Use -o help to view the full list of columns available. Column names include: lv_uuid, lv_name, lv_path, lv_attr, lv_major, lv_minor, lv_read_ahead, lv_kernel_major, lv_kernel_minor, lv_kernel_read_ahead, lv_size, seg_count, origin, origin_size, snap_percent, copy_percent, move_pv, convert_lv, lv_tags, mirror_log, thin_pool, modules, segtype, stripes, stripesize, regionsize, chunksize, seg_start, seg_start_pe, seg_size, seg_tags, seg_pe_ranges, devices. With --segments, any "seg_" prefixes are optional; otherwise any "lv_" prefixes are optional. Columns mentioned in vgs(8) can also be chosen. The lv_attr bits are: 1 Volume type: (m)irrored, (M)irrored without initial sync, (o)rigin, (O)rigin with merging snapshot, (r)aid, (R)aid without ini- tial sync, (s)napshot, merging (S)napshot, (p)vmove, (v)irtual, mirror or raid (i)mage, mirror or raid (I)mage out-of-sync, mir- ror (l)og device, under (c)onversion, thin (V)olume, (t)hin pool, (T)hin pool data, raid or thin pool m(e)tadata 2 Permissions: (w)riteable, (r)ead-only, (R)ead-only activation of non-read-only volume 3 Allocation policy: (c)ontiguous, c(l)ing, (n)ormal, (a)nywhere, (i)nherited This is capitalised if the volume is currently locked against allocation changes, for example during pvmove(8). 4 fixed (m)inor 5 State: (a)ctive, (s)uspended, (I)nvalid snapshot, invalid (S)uspended snapshot, snapshot (m)erge failed, suspended snapshot (M)erge failed, mapped (d)evice present without tables, mapped device present with (i)nactive table 6 device (o)pen 7 Target type: (m)irror, (r)aid, (s)napshot, (t)hin, (u)nknown, (v)irtual. This groups logical volumes related to the same kernel target together. So, for example, mirror images, mirror logs as well as mirrors themselves appear as (m) if they use the origi- nal device-mapper mirror kernel driver; whereas the raid equivalents using the md raid kernel driver all appear as (r). Snap- shots using the original device-mapper driver appear as (s); whereas snapshots of thin volumes using the new thin provisioning driver appear as (t). 8 Newly-allocated data blocks are overwritten with blocks of (z)eroes before use. --segments Use default columns that emphasize segment information. -O, --sort Comma-separated ordered list of columns to sort by. Replaces the default selection. Precede any column with - for a reverse sort on that column. --rows Output columns as rows. --separator Separator String to use to separate each column. Useful if grepping the output. --unbuffered Produce output immediately without sorting or aligning the columns properly. --units hHbBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE All sizes are output in these units: (h)uman-readable, (b)ytes, (s)ectors, (k)ilobytes, (m)egabytes, (g)igabytes, (t)erabytes, (p)etabytes, (e)xabytes. Capitalise to use multiples of 1000 (S.I.) instead of 1024. Can also specify custom units e.g. --units 3M --unquoted When used with --nameprefixes, output values in the field=value pairs are not quoted. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvdisplay(8), pvs(8), vgs(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) LVS(8)