Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Cannot remove disk added to zpool Post 302930889 by LittleLebowski on Thursday 8th of January 2015 12:16:38 PM
Old 01-08-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant
Hot spare will not protect your data in case of of the disk in raid 0 zpool fails.

Spares are used in raid protected setup (raid1,raidz etc.), when one disk fails it will rebuild a raid array using hot spare automatically or manually depending on the zpool autoreplace policy.

You will need to go with jlliagre suggestion or add two more disk in zpool as mirrors of two devices currently present or risk loosing data due to one of the disk in zpool failing.
Agreed and thanks to you both. Next week, I'll be adding one more disk and adding redundancy. Glad this is a test box Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Remove the exported zpool

I had a pool which was exported and due to some issues on my SAN i was never able to import it again. Can anyone tell me how can i destroy the exported pool to free up the LUN. I tried to create a new pool on the same pool but it gives me following error # zpool create emcpool4 emcpower0c... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Can't remove a LUN from a Zpool!

I am not seeing anyway to remove a LUN from a Zpool... Am I missing something? or do i have to destroy the zpool and recreate it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Partitioning newly added disk to Redhat

Hi Everyone, I have added new Virtual disk to OS. The main point is I need to bring this whole Disk into LVM control, is it necessary to partition the disk using fdisk command and assign partition type as '8e', or can I directly add that disk into LVM, by running pvcreate command with out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
2 Replies

4. AIX

Remove the disk online

Hi I have one of the disk missing in my NIMVG. My doubt is can I remove this hdisk2 online ? few of the file systems seems to be spread over 7 PV's. that's why i'm worried. Can someone suggest if I can replace this disk online. Also how to check if there is some data present in hdisk2 alone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Bad exchange descriptor : not able to remove files under zpool

Hi , One of my zone went down and when i booted it up i could see the pool in degraded state with some check sum errors . we have brought the pool online after scrubbing. But few files are showing this error Bad exchange descriptor Please let me know how to remove these files (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Add disk to zpool

Hi, Quick question. I have a data zpool that consists of 1 disk. pool: data state: ONLINE scrub: none requested config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM data ONLINE 0 0 0 c0t50002AC0014B06BEd0 ONLINE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: general_lee
2 Replies

7. AIX

LPAR cannot added disk

Dear All, I created a new partition through "Integrated Virtualization Manager" but there have an error when I added a new disk to the partition. The disk already created without any issue, Below error is to add the disk to the partition An error occured while modifying the assignments... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lckdanny
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Exporting zpool sitting on different disk partition

Hello, I need some help in recovering ZFS pool. Here is scenerio. There are two disks - c0t0d0 - This is good disk. I cloned it from other server and boot server from this disk. c0t1d0 - This is original disk of this server, having errors. I am able to mount it on /mnt. So that I can copy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Replace zpool with another disk

issue, I had a zpool which was full pool_temp1 199G 197G 1.56G 99% ONLINE - pool_temp2 199G 196G 3.09G 98% ONLINE - as you can see, full so I replaced with a larger disk. zpool replace pool_temp1 c3t600144F0FF8BA036000058CC1DB80008d0s0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to clear a removed single-disk pool from being listed by zpool import?

On an OmniOS server, I removed a single-disk pool I was using for testing. Now, when I run zpool import it will show it as FAULTED, since that single disk not available anymore. # zpool import pool: fido id: 7452075738474086658 state: FAULTED status: The pool was last... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyadarshan
11 Replies
ZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						ZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
zfsboot -- bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
zfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. zfsboot is installed in two parts on a disk or a partition used by a ZFS pool. The first part, a single-sector starter boot block, is installed at the beginning of the disk or partition. The second part, a main boot block, is installed at a special offset within the disk or partition. Both areas are reserved by the ZFS on-disk specifi- cation for boot use. If zfsboot is installed in a partition, then that partition should be made bootable using appropriate configuration and boot blocks described in boot(8). BOOTING
The zfsboot boot process is very similar to that of gptzfsboot(8). One significant difference is that zfsboot does not currently support the GPT partitioning scheme. Thus only whole disks and MBR partitions, traditionally referred to as slices, are probed for ZFS disk labels. See the BUGS section in gptzfsboot(8) for some limitations of the MBR scheme support. USAGE
zfsboot supports all the same prompt and configuration file arguments as gptzfsboot(8). FILES
/boot/zfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
zfsboot is typically installed using dd(1). To install zfsboot on the ada0 drive: dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 iseek=1 oseek=1024 If the drive is currently in use, the GEOM safety will prevent writes and must be disabled before running the above commands: sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10 zfsboot can also be installed in an MBR slice: gpart create -s mbr ada0 gpart add -t freebsd ada0 gpart create -s BSD ada0s1 gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ada0 gpart set -a active -i 1 ada0 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 iseek=1 oseek=1024 Note that commands to create and populate a pool are not shown in the example above. SEE ALSO
dd(1), boot.config(5), boot(8), gptzfsboot(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
zfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Installing zfsboot with dd(1) is a hack. ZFS needs a command to properly install zfsboot onto a ZFS-controlled disk or partition. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD