Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Strange Keyboard and Mouse Issue Post 302930825 by mrm5102 on Wednesday 7th of January 2015 02:21:00 PM
Old 01-07-2015
Strange Keyboard and Mouse Issue

Hello All,

PC: CuBox-i (*i.MX6) Mini-PC
Kernel: 3.14.14-cubox-i

Code:
# uname -a
Linux CuBox-HQ 3.14.14-cubox-i #1 SMP Sat Sep 13 03:48:24 UTC 2014 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

So I've been having this random issue happen on this PC where a few strange things start happening with the Mouse and Keyboard.

1st Issue:
When the issue is occuring, the mouse pointer will randomly click things on the screen. However, the mouse does NOT
move around on it's own, it's more or less just clicking stuff. So for example lets say I have a terminal open and I start to
move the mouse across the terminal window, the mouse will suddenly highlight a few lines that I just moved past as if I
held down the left mouse button to highlight them. Or, if I'm moving my mouse pointer over a window that is not in
"focus" (*i.e. not the top window on screen) it will click that window making it the new top window on the screen.

2nd Issue:
This one is similar to the one above in that occasionally when I first touch the mouse to start moving the pointer, it will suddenly
right-click wherever the mouse was when I first began to move it.

3rd Issue:
This problem has to do with the keyboard... While I'm typing not every key I press gets put onto the screen. For example, while I'm
typing NOT every key I press is being shown on the screen as I press the key. So let's say I'm typing the "The Quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog."
phrase, I'll be more likely to get something like this: "he ickbrown fop jmped over the lay do"
As you can see lots of letters and spaces are missing.

4th Issue:
This one is also similar to the previous one (*3rd Issue), but instead of missing/skipping keys, as I'm pressing keys on the keyboard
it will suddenly start repeating whatever character I just hit. For example, let's say I'm trying to use the up and down arrows in a
terminal to cycle through the command history, it will suddenly begin scrolling through the commands extremely fast, as if I was
holding down the down-arrow key, and will continue doing this until I hit another key. Also, another example would be if I was writing
the same phrase from the previous example, I would get something like this:
"Te qucccck bron fffffffffffffox jud oer the lzyyy dg......................"

*FYI, all the example text strings above where copy/pasted from that PC, so that is actually what was printed...

So basically when all these issues I described above start happening, they all happen at the same time, seemingly randomly. Usually I
can just reboot the PC and the issue goes away. But I just now tried a reboot and it was still happening after it came back up...

I also thought that this only started happening when the CPU was under a heavy load, but today when it happened the ONLY thing I had
open at that moment was one terminal window. Just an FYI, this issue would continue no matter what program is up on the screen, it
does not only happen with terminals.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this problem, it's REALLY frustrating and basically unusable when it starts happening.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP-UX 11.11: X doesn't recognize mouse and keyboard

hi folks, i've got a blank hp visualize C3000 workstation and installed HP-UX 11.11. When I want to start X, I get the following error message: # X Fatal server error: Couldn't open X pointer device! Is one attached? I've connected an mouse and a keyboard with an usb/ps2 connector.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grisu
5 Replies

2. Programming

How to get capture input events from keyboard and mouse

Hi, Is there any way to capture/record the input events from keyboard, as well as from mouse using C. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yhacks
4 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

mouse/keyboard wrist lesions.

Anyone ever had any problem related to wrist lesions caused by keyboard or mouse? Tendinitis? Tenosynovitis? How long it lasted? How did it go away? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redoubtable
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris don't boot without mouse and keyboard

Hi guys, I've installed Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10) in a x86 box. I will put this box as a home server to store my files/backups/whatterver shared stuff replacing my old NetBSD machine. But, after installed and correctly configured, when I tried to boot this box without keybord and mouse (USB both),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmerman
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Check keyboard and mouse activity

I need help from someone that is good at making scripts. I'm trying to make a script file that checks for keyboard and mouse activity during 1 am to 8 am and logs you off if it detects activity. I can't find anything useful in google. ---------- Post updated 06-30-10 at 12:33 AM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

6. SCO

X Server -> keyboard and mouse are freezing

hi I've configured X Server using Video Configuration Manager on SCO 5.0.6, but the keyboard and mouse are freezing after 5 minutes on the graphical login mask. ---------- Post updated at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:43 AM ---------- BTW I finished the configuration,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
2 Replies

7. AIX

Keyboard Mouse Display not working with Pseries

Hello, Just got a refurbished Pseries when I boot the machine , everything is okay, that is no attention light and panel shows 01 B N but there is nothing on the display ( monitor / console ) which is plugged into the video card port of pseries. The display is empty.... The keyboard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Keyboard vs mouse

Which Input device do you use the most ? for me... keyboard ofcourse !! (56 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpraveen84
56 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command if no mouse or keyboard input

I would like a script that would run pm-suspend if there has been no keyboard or mouse input for a specified time. ------ Post updated at 11:17 AM ------ Never mind. I found a setting in power management that does what I need. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
0 Replies
tk_focusNext(n) 					       Tk Built-In Commands						   tk_focusNext(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tk_focusNext, tk_focusPrev, tk_focusFollowsMouse - Utility procedures for managing the input focus. SYNOPSIS
tk_focusNext window tk_focusPrev window tk_focusFollowsMouse _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
tk_focusNext is a utility procedure used for keyboard traversal. It returns the "next" window after window in focus order. The focus order is determined by the stacking order of windows and the structure of the window hierarchy. Among siblings, the focus order is the same as the stacking order, with the lowest window being first. If a window has children, the window is visited first, followed by its children (recursively), followed by its next sibling. Top-level windows other than window are skipped, so that tk_focusNext never returns a window in a different top-level from window. After computing the next window, tk_focusNext examines the window's -takefocus option to see whether it should be skipped. If so, tk_focusNext continues on to the next window in the focus order, until it eventually finds a window that will accept the focus or returns back to window. tk_focusPrev is similar to tk_focusNext except that it returns the window just before window in the focus order. tk_focusFollowsMouse changes the focus model for the application to an implicit one where the window under the mouse gets the focus. After this procedure is called, whenever the mouse enters a window Tk will automatically give it the input focus. The focus command may be used to move the focus to a window other than the one under the mouse, but as soon as the mouse moves into a new window the focus will jump to that window. Note: at present there is no built-in support for returning the application to an explicit focus model; to do this you will have to write a script that deletes the bindings created by tk_focusFollowsMouse. KEYWORDS
focus, keyboard traversal, top-level Tk 4.0 tk_focusNext(n)