Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Goto - UNIX v6 Manual Questions Post 302929699 by Perderabo on Wednesday 24th of December 2014 10:59:35 AM
Old 12-24-2014
The Thompson goto command was bizarre because it was not a shell built-in. It was actually an external command. Decisions like this were made to get the thing to run in a 16 bit machine.

First of all the label concept was piggy-backed onto the colon command. It is a command that does nothing. It still exists today in bash and ksh. I hope you have heard of it. You can give the colon command arguments which the shell "processes" but the command itself ignores. This was used to make the colon command a form of comment. The leading number-sign comment had not yet appeared. A comment like this:
Code:
: we should not do stuff like > /etc/passwd

was harmful because the shell would try to send the colon command's output to /etc/passwd. You had to be sure that your comments had no side effects. You could put the : command anywhere you want. The shell would know it should do nothing.

But a colon command used as label had additional restrictions becuase it had to be processed by /bin/goto. There were various versions of /bin/goto. Your label had to match whatever rules your version of /bin/goto had. The goto command used some magic to reposition the shell's input file. This means the input file has to be seekable. A file on paper tape is an example of a non-seekable file. A file on a deck of cards is another example.

The alternate syntax you have a seen "label:" is what csh uses.

Warning: I don't use goto's so maybe some of this is wrong.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Unix Manual (man-page) pages in HTML

LINK: Unix Manual (man page) pages in HTML http://www.rt.com/man/ : More then 100 Commands found on a Unix system mannual pages can be obtained/refered here. Good Link.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

UNIX Commands / Manual

Hi Does anyone know were to go (web link please?) to learn the BACIS of UNIX in OS X, I would like to know a little more about unix (for the apple) but seem to get lost in all the wen sites, and idealy find a site where i could download a manual for the unix shell in OS X. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianmoore
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix version of gosub or goto??

Is there a Unix (Solaris v8 ksh) version of the old basic command gosub or goto? I've researched the return command, but can't identify the command to return from. I am not trying to return from a function. Can someone give me a basic understanding of this please? Thanks so much in advance for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New To Unix - Some Questions!

1) Can a script be made to ignore all signals. 2) Does the parent process always picks up the exit status of its children. 3) Can one program give rise to multiple processes. 4) Is a file is synonymous with a process. 5) Is the kill command only used to kill a running process. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo14
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix manual needed :)

hi guys... am new 2 dis unix world... am in need of a unix manual... cud sum1 pls post sum links 2 download it?>?>? :confused: Danks in advance... ;) ;) ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sundar_shankar
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Manual run a script on UNIX

Hi,I'm currently working on an dev environment that has no jobs to run the scripts.How can I manual run the scripts. on Unix? ---------- Post updated at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:43 AM ---------- Is it something like this.... ../int/inbound>./filename.sh inputfilename ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonja
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use GOTO stmt in Unix scripting?

my code does somthing like this: #!bin/ksh sqlplus / | While read id do temp=`echo $id` i = i+1 done j=0 while do --connecting to sql and executing a Stored proc for 1st id --checking for the status status = $? if error --need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RP09
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

"goto" like command in UNIX

Hi, echo "yes or no?" read ans case $ans in *) echo "yes" ;; *) echo "no" ;; *) echo "yes or no only" #here, if the answer is not "Y" or "N", I want to go back to asking "yes or no?" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A dash to GOTO or a dash from GOTO, that is the question...

Well, guys I saw a question about GOTO for Python. So this gave me the inspiration to attempt a GOTO function for 'dash', (bash and ksh too). Machine: MBP OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal, calling '#!/usr/local/bin/dash'... This is purely a fun project to see if it is possible in PURE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)