Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris $ Prompt on Serial console is not responding. Post 302929050 by siddulamadhu on Wednesday 17th of December 2014 07:11:49 AM
Old 12-17-2014
Thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Installing via serial console

I'm stuck - when I boot the machine and hit 5 on the keyboard, all I get is an SP login. Can someone give me some tips on how to get to the install via the serial port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

serial console hangs

I have a HP Visualize C200 running hpux that I am trying to boot into using a null modem through com1 from my Sun Ultra 10. I get all the way to the login prompt and then it becomes innactive and wont let me access the machine anymore. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trajek
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Ultra 5 serial console problem

Hi I have a stupid problem with ultra 5 console connection. I can't connect to serial port with my laptop. I made these configurations from ok prompt: OK setenv input-device ttya OK setenv output-device ttya OK setenv auto-boot? false I tried to connect to machine with cisco rollover... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noizer`
5 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced. Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joecassara
3 Replies

5. Solaris

PPPD on ttya with serial console...?

Hi. I am very very new to Solaris. I found an abandoned Sun Blade 150. I created a 3-wire null modem cable, connected it to an abandoned laptop and successfully installed Solaris 10 using the serial port. This laptop doesn't have ethernet. So I want to establish a PPP connection. Part of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Console Vs Serial console.

Hi Gurus, Can some one explain me the difference between a IP console and a serial console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

7. Solaris

V890 serial console inaccessible

I am battling to get a V890 up and running. The system appears to have AUTOBOOT=false, so no OS comes up when it's powered on, and I do not have the credentials to get to the RSC management console. Output to ttya serial console ends at "Probing I/O buses", I assume because output is then being... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstmark
4 Replies

8. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$ Prompt on Serial console is not responding.

Hi Experts. i have been stuck up with an issue. i have connected my Solaris 8 , Sun fire V445 on serial port by using Teraterm. Initially i was able to login and executed some tasks. After executing some commands (mainly Control +c), i am not able to type any key or not able to do anything at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-GETTY-GENERATOR(8)				      systemd-getty-generator					SYSTEMD-GETTY-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-getty-generator - Generator for enabling getty instances on the console SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-getty-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-getty-generator is a generator that automatically instantiates serial-getty@.service on the kernel console(s), if they can function as ttys and are not provided by the virtual console subsystem. It will also instantiate serial-getty@.service instances for virtualizer consoles, if execution in a virtualized environment is detected. If execution in a container environment is detected, it will instead enable console-getty.service for /dev/console, and container-getty@.service instances for additional container pseudo TTYs as requested by the container manager (see Container Interface[1]). This should ensure that the user is shown a login prompt at the right place, regardless of which environment the system is started in. For example, it is sufficient to redirect the kernel console with a kernel command line argument such as console= to get both kernel messages and a getty prompt on a serial TTY. See kernel-parameters.txt[2] for more information on the console= kernel parameter. systemd-getty-generator implements systemd.generator(7). Further information about configuration of gettys can be found in systemd for Administrators, Part XVI: Gettys on Serial Consoles (and Elsewhere)[3]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), agetty(8) NOTES
1. Container Interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ContainerInterface/ 2. kernel-parameters.txt https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.txt 3. systemd for Administrators, Part XVI: Gettys on Serial Consoles (and Elsewhere) http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html systemd 237 SYSTEMD-GETTY-GENERATOR(8)