Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX Post 302928672 by C8000 on Saturday 13th of December 2014 10:17:18 PM
Old 12-13-2014
Help needed HP UX 11.11i new install on C8000 Desktop messaging system error CAN'T FIX

Hi, I have a HP UX C8000 box , have installed 11.11i from 4 x cds numerous times to try to get a functioning Network or to try and get rid of this error on start up, after new install and 1st startup I get an error

Code:
"The desktop messaging system could not be started"

and then advice about pressing ok to return to login and to login in a failsafe session and then check to see /etc/hosts that the network is properly configured. I enter failsafe login and run SAM and configure network and checked that Mozilla can access internet , it can, (although it keeps crashing and exits , it still can load webpages ok before crashing) but I cannot , for the life of me , work out how to configure desktop messaging system so that I can login to a normal (non failsafe) session, on searching for a solution

I found advice to try cp nsswitch.files nsswitch.conf I do this, and it fixes the error and I don't get the error on logging in BUT I then cannot access the internet , I can't work out how to remove this error AND retain internet access, any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanx

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX

Hi People! I've just got a HP-UX system dumped on me. I've started it, followed all the install/setup questions, and everything was going ok, right upto when going into the desktop enviroment I got the message "The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started". Now I've checked the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpiuk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo install on HP UX 11i(basic question)

Hello folks, had a question. I was trying to install sudotool on HP -UX 11i. I downloaded gzip file from sudo site and unzipped to /tmp folder on HP box how do i install it?? do i need to run "swinstall" menu and then choose from there? THanks! karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

11i install error

Hi Experts I have a C3000 workstation onto which I am trying to install 11i however I am running into the following error. ENTRY_INIT failed, status = -4: Unrecoverable hardware error (followed by a hex dump) I have re-tried many times and on one occasion successfully got through to CD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

HP UX 11i and HP C8000

Hey, i want install HP UX 11i on HP C8000. When i start the C8000 i get a prompt. On this Prompt i write BOot P1 P1 is my DVD-ROM (IDE). I get the Message "ERROR: Not a boot path". When i write SEArch the Prompt said: P0 scsiA.6 HP73.4MAT3073NP P1 ide.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numx
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

The DT messaging system could not be started

Hello All, I am getting " The DT messaging system could not be started" message when wants to login as root on a box running on tru64 5.1A. /etc/hosts is ok. when i see in .dt/errorlog it shows message server could not be started. Thanks for help. Awadhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awadhesh
2 Replies

6. Solaris

how to install iplanet messaging server 5.2 on solaris 10

hi all, I want to install iplanet messaging service in solaris 10. if it is possible plz send the procedure for installation.its urgent plz regards spandan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spandhan
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

RX2620 11i V3 install halts at load ram disk

Hi there, hope you can help since I'm a novice and playing with this machine to maybe one day use it with our non-profit art project (plantage9.de). I have the proper media for itanium and everything seems okay, loads the DVD etc., until it halts without any progress for hours (see also image... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plantage
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

RPM Install error: libc.so.6 is needed by

I have an application rpm which when installed is failing to get installed with error error: Failed dependencies: libc.so.6 is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by testSam-4.7.x86_64 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

The DT messaging system could not be started.

Good Morning, Users can no longer log into SunBlade 2500 Solaris 9 system (though root still can). Here's what I'm getting and what I've done. I'm most suspicious of the full drive since that pops up twice and I did see one looks full. What's a good way to reduce what's on it?- or.. what else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
2 Replies
GNOME(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GNOME(1)

gnome-session - Starts up the GNOME desktop environment

SYNOPSIS
gnome-session [--choosesession] [--failsafe] [--purge-delay=DELAY] [--warn-delay=DELAY] [--suicide-delay=DELAY] [session-name] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-session program starts up the GNOME desktop environment. This command is typically executed by your login manager (either gdm, xdm, or from your X startup scripts). It will load either your last session, or it will provide a default session for the user as defined by the system administrator (or the default GNOME installation on your system). You can optionally specify a specific session name to restore. gnome-session is an X11R6 session manager. It can manage GNOME applications as well as any X11R6 SM compliant. gnome-session uses the contents of the ~/.gnome/session file for starting up as specified by the "Current Sesssion" key in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. Various default values are provided in case the file entry does not exist. If the session file does not exist, gnome-session will use the contents of the /usr/share/gnome/default.session file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --choose-session=ARG User can specify a session to load, as opposed to the session specified in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. If that entry does not exist in the ~/.gnome/session file (or if that file doesn't exist), it will use the default session and all saves to that session will be to the new session name. --failsafe Fail safe operations mode: only reads saved sessions from the default.session file. --purge-delay=ARG The number of millisecond that gnome-session will wait for clients to register, if you use 0 it will wait forever (default value: 30,000 milliseconds). --warn-delay=ARG The number of millisecond that gnome-session will wait for clients to respond, if you use 0 it will wait forever (default value: 10,000 milliseconds). --suicide-delay=ARG The number of millisecond that gnome-session will wait for clients to die, if you use 0 it will wait forever (default value: 10,000 milliseconds). ENVIRONMENT
gnome-session accepts all of the standard environment variables used by gnome programs, other than the SESSION_MANAGER environment vari- able. [ xref to a manpage where this is documented. ] gnome-session also sets several environment variables for the use of its child pro- cesses. SESSION_MANAGER This variable is used by session-manager aware clients to contact gnome-session. DISPLAY This variable is set to the X display being used by gnome-session. Note that if the --display option is used this might be different from the setting of the environment variable when gnome-session is invoked. SEE ALSO
default.session(5),gnome-session-save(1) BUGS
If you find bugs in the gnome-session program, please report these using bug-buddy or the gnome-bug script included with the GNOME libraries distribution. GNOME 1.0 GNOME(1)