Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Save files in directory as txt Post 302928525 by rbatte1 on Friday 12th of December 2014 10:36:21 AM
Old 12-12-2014
Afterwards, you could run a rename in a loop. Assuming that the directory only contains the files you want, you can:-
Code:
cd target_directory
for file in *
do
   mv $file $file.txt
done

If the file names gets longer and/or the number of files increases, you may hit a limit on the length of the command line when * is expanded, so bear that in mind.

All files will be renamed, so if you have a1.file a2.file & already have a1.file.txt and a2.file.txt then results might be a little unpredictable. It may well work that it will rename a1.file to a1.file.txt and then rename the same file to be a1.file.txt.txt which might be very confusing, so make sure you start with an empty directory before you download the files and rename them.

I hope that this helps.

Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from fileList.txt, copy files from directory tree

Hi, hopefully this is a fairly simple Q&A. I have a clean file list of approximately 180 filenames with no directory or slashes in front of the filename nor any extension or dot ".". I would like to read from this list, find these files recursively down through directory trees, copy the files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all files except *.txt in a directory

I have many types of files (Eg: *.log, *.rpt, *.txt, *.dat) in a directory. I want to display all file types except *.txt. What is the command to display all files except "*.txt" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if the files in a directory have a txt extension

foreach file ($dir1/*) if ($file ~ *.txt) then echo "Skipping $file (is a txt file)" endif end that should work right guys? :confused: (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern search and save it as .txt file with some name..

Hello, I have a note pad at /usr/abc location with the following content, since it is a huge file i need to split it into multiple .txt files. A123|akdhj |21kjsdff |b212b1b21 |0 A123asdasd |assdd |asdasdsdqw|6 A123|QEWQ |NMTGHJK |zxczxczx|3 A123|GEGBGH |RTYBN ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to back up a bunch of files on a directory and save that file as the current date....

this is what i have to find the files modified within the past 24 hours find . -mtime -1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 tar rvf "$archive.tar" however i need to save/name this archive as the current date (MM-DD,YYYY.tar.gz) how do i doo this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugenhagen_
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the input from user and save it as .txt file

Hi friends, I am pretty new to shell scripting, please help me in this Scenario. for example, If I have one file called input.txt once I run the script, 1.It has to delete the old input.txt and create the new input.txt (if old input.txt is not there, no offence, just it has to create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpio all *.txt-files out of folders to just one directory

I need a hint for reading manpage (I did rtfm really) of cpio to do this task as in the headline described. I want to put all files of a certain type, lets say all *.txt files or any other format. Spread in more than hundreds of subdirectories in one directory I would like to select them and just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can i add each line from a txt file to different files in the same directory?

Hello, this is my first thread here :) So i have a text file that contains words in each line like abcd efgh ijkl mnop and i have 4 txt files, i want to add each line to each file, like file 1 gets abcd at the end; file 2 gets efgh at the end .... I tried with: cat test | while read -r... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: azaiiez
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig and concatenate all files yesterday then save it to another directory

I dont want to use for loop since it is using a lot of resources especially to a thousand files. Wanting to have a while? or something will find files that has been modifed or created yesteraday. View it. And search for soemthing and save it to a certain folder. for i in `find ./ -mtime... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)