Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is meaning of given line? Post 302928503 by RudiC on Friday 12th of December 2014 07:05:52 AM
Old 12-12-2014
Code:
sed 's/\([a-z]*\) \1/\1/'

is a basic (obsolete) regular expression, which replaces the first occurrence of zero or more lower case chars (lets call it PAT1) followed by a space followed by PAT1 again. In fact, it replaces the first space in every single line, as it matches PAT1 with the NULL (empty) string.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the meaning here?

#!/bin/sh $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -S $orauserid/$orapasswd@$oradb << _TMP alter session set nls_date_format = 'YYYYMMDD HH24:MI'; set linesize 100 set pagesize 400 ok the above is part of a script..i just wanna know what does sqlplus -S means?? as in why we need to insert the -S behind? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to understand the meaning of the following line

HI All Please find the code below from a script called test.sh echo "Hello World" . test_common.lib get_info in the file test_common.lib i have the following contents get_info() { c_cnt=0; cm=""; echo "Inside get_info" } when i run the script test.sh ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
5 Replies

3. AIX

meaning of ${0%${0##*/}}

. ${0%${0##*/}}Script_Name if i issue this command, it is executing the script. can any one tell what is the meaning of ${0%${0##*/}} (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nyelavarthy
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use and meaning of $*

Can someone explain the use and meaning of "$*" expression. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of this line in script

Can anyone explain me the meaning of line #2 in these lines of shell script: if ; then ${EXPR} " ${MACTIONS } " : ".* ${ACTION} " >/dev/null 2>&1 || die "$USAGE" else Sorry in case this is a trivial thing (I am not an expert in this). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)