Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Memory and cache access time discrepancy Post 302928318 by achenle on Wednesday 10th of December 2014 09:42:16 PM
Old 12-10-2014
The compiler's optimizer noted that the value of "r" was never used, and eliminated the operation.

And if the code isn't optimized, the compiler almost certainly produced a LOT more instructions than necessary to simply load a value from memory into a register.

Nevermind the time spend actually doing the rdtsc() routines themselves.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Clearing of cache memory

Pls! will someone help me on how to clear my cache memory of my Internet browser Thanks Kayode (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
3 Replies

2. Solaris

File cache portion of memory on Solaris

I'm looking to get the file cache portion of physical (real) memory on a Solaris workstation (Similar to the Cache: line in /proc/meminfo on some Linux systems): # swap -s; swap -l; vmstat 2 2; echo "::memstat" | mdb -k total: 309376k bytes allocated + 41428k reserved = 350804k used,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

High use of cache memory

Hi, I'm running a debian lenny 1GB ram, but with a high I/O. This server has 400IOPS and 3MB/s sustain. So, I noted cached memory use 800MB, buffered memory use 50MB, and no free memory is available. Questions: What does mean such a high cached memory? Who's using this cached memory? Is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux memory buffers & cache usage

18:45:47 # free -m total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 96679 95909 770 0 1530 19550 -/+ buffers/cache: 74828 21851 Swap: 12287 652 11635 Hi all. The below output is from a RHEL 4.5... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drummerrob
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Need to release Cache memory

Right now i am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 and cache memory occupying around 1.5GB mentioned below, total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 2026 2021 5 0 161 1477 -/+ buffers/cache: 382 1644 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thakshina
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discrepancy in finding the top memory consuming processes

When I run 'top' command,I see the following Memory: 32G real, 12G free, 96G swap free Though it shows as 12G free,I am not able to account for processes that consume the rest 20G. In my understanding some process should be consuming atleast 15-16 G but I am not able to find them. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

7. Programming

Ways to preserve a memory cache

The environment is Java/Windows. The program keeps near real-time state in memory cache, which is updated by multiple sources, size of the cache is roughly 500 MB, frequency of updates is ~ 20 per second. I am looking into different ways to keep current snapshot of the memory on the disk for a)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
9 Replies

8. Solaris

clear cache memory

hi all, i have noticed that my server has 64 GB RAM and i have application in this server but the server has free memory only 15% and utilized 85% however it didn't eat from swap . does any parameter can be configured in kernel to make the system clear memory from cache like linux i found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clearing memory cache on Linux server

i wish to clear memory cache on a production box and i was wondering what is the worst that can happen if i do? i already tested this on a backup server and everything seemed fine. but i need to know from you experts what are the worst things that can happen when i run it on a real server: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. AIX

AIX swap space, physical memory & cache

Hi, I am new to AIX, Can someone please help me how to know the swap space, total physical memory and system cache? We are using AIX 5.3. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
3 Replies
KMEM_CACHE_CREATE(9)					    Memory Management in Linux					      KMEM_CACHE_CREATE(9)

NAME
kmem_cache_create - Create a cache. SYNOPSIS
struct kmem_cache * kmem_cache_create(const char * name, size_t size, size_t align, unsigned long flags, void (*ctor) (void *)); ARGUMENTS
name A string which is used in /proc/slabinfo to identify this cache. size The size of objects to be created in this cache. align The required alignment for the objects. flags SLAB flags ctor A constructor for the objects. DESCRIPTION
Returns a ptr to the cache on success, NULL on failure. Cannot be called within a int, but can be interrupted. The ctor is run when new pages are allocated by the cache. name must be valid until the cache is destroyed. This implies that the module calling this has to destroy the cache before getting unloaded. Note that kmem_cache_name is not guaranteed to return the same pointer, therefore applications must manage it themselves. The flags are SLAB_POISON - Poison the slab with a known test pattern (a5a5a5a5) to catch references to uninitialised memory. SLAB_RED_ZONE - Insert `Red' zones around the allocated memory to check for buffer overruns. SLAB_HWCACHE_ALIGN - Align the objects in this cache to a hardware cacheline. This can be beneficial if you're counting cycles as closely as davem. COPYRIGHT
Kernel Hackers Manual 2.6. July 2010 KMEM_CACHE_CREATE(9)