Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed/awk/perl substitution with multiple lines Post 302928200 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 9th of December 2014 07:43:12 PM
Old 12-09-2014
how about this:

Code:
awk '
BEGIN {
    split("PROD INFO DATE HEADER", tag)
    split("product info date header", holder)
}
FNR==NR {
  for(i in tag) {
    if(index($0, tag[i]"START")) active[tag[i]]=1
    if(index($0, tag[i]"END")) active[tag[i]]=0
  }
  gsub(/&/, "\\\\&",$0)
  for(a in active)
     if (active[a] && !index($0, a "START"))
         data[a]=data[a]"\n"$0
  next
}
{ for(h in holder) gsub(holder[h] "Placeholder", substr(data[tag[h]],2)) }
1' snippets.txt emailTemplate.eml

Last edited by Chubler_XL; 12-09-2014 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Updated to support & and \n in replaced text
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution and multiple lines

I have a file names 'log.txt' that looks something like this: #This is a comment /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s ip.of.a machine --destination-port 21 -j ACCEPT #This is the comment to read# /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s ip.of.a.machine --destination-port 21 -j ACCEPT I would like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert multiple lines before pattern

I'm attempting to insert multiple lines before a line matching a given search pattern. These lines are generated in a separate function and can either be piped in as stdout or read from a temporary file. I've been able to insert the lines from a file after the pattern using: sed -i '/pattern/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zksailor534
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to remove duplicate lines with perl,sed,awk

Input: hello hello hello hello monkey donkey hello hello drink dance drink Output should be: hello hello monkey donkey drink dance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk for lines between two strings multiple times and keep the last one

Hi, I am trying to get lines between the last occurrences of two patterns. I have files that have several occurrences of “Standard” and “Visual”. I will like to get the lines between “Standard” and “Visual” but I only want to retain only the last one e.g. Standard Some words Some words Some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: damanidada
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two strings multiple occurencies (with sed, awk, or grep)

Hello, I can extract lines in a file, between two strings but only one time. If there are multiple occurencies, my command show only one block. Example, monfichier.txt contains : debut_sect texte L1 texte L2 texte L3 texte L4 fin_sect donnees inutiles 1 donnees inutiles 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl command to replace pattern in multiple lines

Hi I know sed and awk has options to give range of line numbers, but I need to replace pattern in specific lines Something like sed -e '1s,14s,26s/pattern/new pattern/' file name Can somebody help me in this.... I am fine with see/awk/perl Thank you in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani777
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed, awk or perl to remove substring of all lines except the first

Greetings All, I would like to find all occurences of a pattern and delete a substring from the all matching lines EXCEPT the first. For example: 1234::group:user1,user2,user3,blah1,blah2,blah3 2222::othergroup:user9,user8 4444::othergroup2:user3,blah,blah,user1 1234::group3:user5,user1 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacksolm
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/sed : help on:Filtering multiple lines to one:

Experts Good day, I want to filter multiple lines of same error of same day , to only 1 error of each day, the first line from the log. Here is the file: May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS write failed for server cmiauxe1: error 5 (RPC: Timed out) May 26 11:29:19 cmihpx02 vmunix: NFS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process alternate lines in awk/sed/perl

hi.. i have a fasta file with the following format >sequence1 CCGGTTTTCGATTTGGTTTGACT >sequence2 AAAGTGCCGCCAGGTTTTGAGTGT >sequence3 AGTGCCGCAGAGTTTGTAGTGT Now, i want to read alternate line and add "GGGGGGGGGGG" to end of every sequence Desired output: >sequence1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find=grep or maybe sed/awk for multiple lines of text?

Hi, I am running the following: PASS="username/password" sqlplus -s << EOF | grep -v "^$" $PASS set feedback off set heading off set termout off select name from v\$database ; exit EOF Which gives ERROR: ORA-28002: the password will expire within 5 days PSMP1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
MKCOVER(8)						      System Manager's Manual							MKCOVER(8)

NAME
mkcover - HylaFAX continuation cover page generation command SYNOPSIS
/var/spool/hylafax/bin/mkcover qfile template result DESCRIPTION
bin/mkcover is the command invoked by the facsimile server when a continuation cover page is required for an outbound job that is about to be retried. It generates a single POSTSCRIPT(R) page that is imaged according to the remote capabilities and transmitted as the cover page. The arguments are: qfile the job description file for the outbound job. template the cover page template file, as used by the faxcover(1) program. result the filename where the resultant POSTSCRIPT document should be written. The default mkcover command is a shell script that uses awk(1) to parse the job description file and generate the cover page document. The template file may be optionally compressed with compress(1), pack(1), or gzip(1); the filename suffix is used to decide whether or not the template file contains compressed data. SEE ALSO
faxq(8), hylafax-config(5), sendq(5) June 20, 1994 MKCOVER(8)