Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read data from tab delimited file after a specific position? Post 302927617 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 4th of December 2014 07:09:37 AM
Old 12-04-2014
You should always explicitly mention you are running on Windows, because it behaves quite differently. These are Unix and Linux forums...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping thru tab delimited data

Hello people, Can you please tell me how to loop thru the contents of a variable having tab delimited data using for loop in KSH. For example: data1 data2 data3 data4 How can I access the above data in a for loop? Please let me know. Thanks. Regards, T. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether a given file is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited

Hi All, Please help me out with a script which checks whether a given file say abc.txt is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited. If the condition doesn't satisfy then it should generate error code "100" for file not in ASCII format and "105" if it is not in tab-delimited format. If the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read space filled file and replace text at specific position

Hi I have a spaced filled file having records like below: What I want is to read line having RT3 at position 17-19 then go to position 2651 check the 18 characters (might be space filled till 18 characters). This position should have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: COD
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read a tab delimited

OK, let's set this up. I have a tab delimited file from excel. In my UNIX shell I have the following lines IFS=`printf "\t"` while read LINE_NO SKIP IGNORE_ERRORS OTHER do .... This works fine if there is something in every column like this. NOTE, those are tabs, not spaces. :) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: podzach
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining position in a tab delimited file

hi, I want to determine the position of specific values over a cutoff. So I have a string of values that are mainly negative in number and I want to print the rare few that are positive. Specifically I want to know the position of the value along the string. The position is based from right to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a portion of data from a very large tab delimited text file

Hi All I wanted to know how to effectively delete some columns in a large tab delimited file. I have a file that contains 5 columns and almost 100,000 rows 3456 f g t t 3456 g h 456 f h 4567 f g h z 345 f g 567 h j k lThis is a very large data file and tab delimited. I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script to read a tab delimited file and perform simple tasks

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hello! I need help with this problem bash shell scripting that basically just reads the data in a tab delimited file and does the following below 1. Read in the data file Survey.txt and assign the column values to variables of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsmith6932
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make tab delimited file to space delimited?

Hi How to make tab delimited file to space delimited? in put file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl o/p file: ABC kgy jkh ghj ash kjl Use code tags, thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
XmTabListRemoveTabs(library call)										 XmTabListRemoveTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListRemoveTabs -- A convenience function that removes noncontiguous tabs SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListRemoveTabs( XmTabList oldlist, Cardinal *position_list, Cardinal position_count); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListRemoveTabs removes noncontiguous tabs from a tab list. The function creates a new tab list by copying the contents of oldlist and removing all tabs whose corresponding positions appear in the position_list array. A warning message is displayed if a specified position is invalid; for example, if the value is a number greater than the number of tabs in the tab list. tablist Specifies the tab list. The function deallocates oldlist and the tabs it contains after extracting the required information. position_list Specifies an array of the tab positions to be removed. The position of the first tab in the list is 0 (zero), the position of the second tab is 1, and so on. position_count Specifies the number of elements in the position_list. RETURN
If oldlist or position_list is NULL, or position_count is 0 (zero), returns oldlist. Otherwise, this function returns the new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The applica- tion can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListRemoveTabs(library call)