Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to prompt user to define a variable? Post 302925521 by lsantome on Monday 17th of November 2014 05:03:10 PM
Old 11-17-2014
How to prompt user to define a variable?

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to define blank vaianbles and prompt user to fill them during the script execution?

A very simple example:

Code:
INPUT=
OUTPUT=

cut -f1-4 $INPUT | sed 's/hello/goodbye/g' | sort -uV > $OUTPUT

Thank you in advance!

Best wishes

Last edited by lsantome; 11-17-2014 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: error in code

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Grep to Define a Variable

I am using korn shell unix. I have a script that I am working with to do a check for me using a text file. #finds "Time" from the text file and cuts the second field from the #line A= grep Time test.txt | cut -f2 # the "#Missing" is being pulled from the second field of the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cspcspcsp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two variable in foreach command??

Hello, I just want to know how If it's possiple to define 2 variable using foreach command ??? I have directory inside that directory around 1000 file, I want to rename all of this files to something I have it in a list. Example :- ------This is what in my directory---------- d1 d2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

define length of variable

I have a variable with a value of "05". When I add one to that variable, using the command: CURR_YY=`expr $CURR_YY + 1`, I get the value of "6", losing the leading zero (which is needed for passing to another script). How do I keep the leading zero? Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbarker
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - define a variable

Hello, I would like to define a variable based on another variable: a=5 b$a=100 This does not work. What is the right way to do it? Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:33 PM ---------- Found my answer with the search function (did not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about define variable.

Hi, Unix Gurus, In our existing file, there is a script like #!/bin/sh step=${1:-0} cur_step=10 if ... My question is what's "${1:-0}" mean? I know it defines a variable but I don't know what's (1:-0) mean? :wall: Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Perl can i define a hash with value as variable?

Hi, Is it possible in perl to have a hash defined with variables as theirs key values, like: %account = ('username' => 'boy', 'password' => $password); Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Define variable from file.

HI I have file A.txt _1A _2A _3A _4A I want define all as different variable. $1A=_1A $2B=_2A $3C=_3A $4D=_4A Now i can use any variable in my script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two digits variable in shell script?

Dear Shell script Experts, I am working on shell script which is defined here, qsub_seq.csh . The purpose of this script is to read few input files (with defined starting index and last index) and make processing faster over server. For some task, I had 1064 of input files, so I wrote another... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
8 Replies
RESEQ(1)							   User Commands							  RESEQ(1)

NAME
reseq - Reverse the translations made by teseq. SYNOPSIS
reseq [-t FILE] INPUT OUTPUT reseq --replay INPUT [OUTPUT] reseq -h | --help reseq -V | --version DESCRIPTION
Reverse the translations made by teseq. -h, --help Print usage information (this message). -V, --version Display version and warrantee --replay Obey delay lines for video-style playback. -d DIVISOR Play back at DIVISOR times the normal speed. -t, --timings=FILE Output timing data to FILE, in the format used by script -t and scriptreplay. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to bug-teseq@gnu.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 Micah Cowan <micah@cowan.name>. Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this notice are preserved. There is NO WARANTEE, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for reseq is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and reseq programs are properly installed at your site, the command info reseq should give you access to the complete manual. reseq 1.0.0 April 2012 RESEQ(1)