Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logfile monitoring with logfile replacement Post 302925247 by Aia on Saturday 15th of November 2014 12:42:02 AM
Old 11-15-2014
@Warluck

If you don't see any one posting comments on you thread is a pretty good indication that the inquire is not clear. You might need to give more information or formulate you query differently.

As it happens, I am not quite sure what you mean.
Code:
tail -fn0 $logfile | \
while read line ; do
... some stuff
done

$logfile will keep logging until you stop the mechanism that records the log entries, and this is independent of displaying its content with tail and piping it to a while read loop. It is also independent of that loop.

Thus, this statement of yours is not clear:
Quote:
I would like to end the script right away and not wait a new line to be added to the monitored logfile.
Even if the script stops the mechanism that logs will keep going.

Now, if you want to stop the script right when it encounters a given string, you must read it first, identify it as a show stopper, and exist the script. Therefore, it must be done, before any of the other do ...some stuff.

But, please, expand further, since I'm quite sure this will not satisfy your query.

Last edited by Aia; 11-15-2014 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: Grammar correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a logfile

Hi experts, I need help to sort a big logfile. logfile: ------- 67712 dkjd jd jj jjjj ------ kjkj jhjh kkk yggg lll hhh gffgf jj -------- i kkk kllkkl ------- Now I want every think between the "------" in one line. Normaly with paste no problem but you can see that the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

last month's logfile

hi friends I need a shell script which will do the following Task Enter the month : if you enter 1 then it ll show you last 1 month's (starting from today).log file in the current directry. if you enter 4 then it ll show you last 4 month's (starting from today).log file in the current... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

logfile

hi iam new of the ksh script.iwant in formation of how to call in logfile in ksh scripts. if the meaning in ksh. please help me thanks naveen.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Logfile manipulation

Hi First of all I m a complete newbie to Linux ... just started working on it exactly a week ago. I know a bit of programming in C but not very good in it.:D I was given task in my workplace and need some help nAJLR02F030879 9805 Thu Nov 19 13:27 <customerservice@YYY.com> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abilash.amara
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

logfile parsing

I thought I was pretty handy with awk until I got this one. :) I'm trying to parse a log file where the events could have different delimiters (2 scripts is ok), the errors are spread over multiple lines, and I"m trying to figure out how to not read the same lines that have already been read. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linkslice
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change value of logfile

Hi, I have a log file like exyymmdd.log and i need to do is read the log file and inside the logfile if i find the word which starts with PQR002106570.book then i need to replace the value of PQRXXX.book(this is unique) with its corresponding title. A list of id(PQRXXX.book) and its title are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umapearl
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

looking for string in logfile

I have a shell script that used to look for a particular sting in the last line of a log file. Howeve this string now has moved to the 3rd or 4th line from bottom. Can anyone point me to how i easiest chage this one to look within the last frew lines (5 or so) for the particular string rather... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjlinux
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

writing to a logfile

I cannot get anything to go to my log. This is what i see on my screen when i run my korn shell. cd ok, cwd=/export/home/tsp_inst/TSP pget: /nas4/edata/tsp/rawdata/test2.gz: File exists But i cant get it to write it to my log. cd /this/is/my/newdirectory lftp -e 'pget -c -n 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tyngsboro
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Logfile

Hi, I need to continuously monitor a logfile to get the log information between a process start and end. the logfile look like this abcdddddddddd cjjckkkkkkkkkkkk abc : Process started aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb abc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byorg
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfile Reading

I am reading through a log file that has multiple entries: xx-xxxx-xxx-130111090001 <XML> ... ... </XML> ... ... ... xx-xxxx-xxx-130111100001 <XML> ... ... </XML> There are 2 parts: 1) Take the XML statement and parse out. I have that with a sed script sed -n '/<XML>/,/XML>/p'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SivaAfi
6 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.42.9 December 2013 LOGSAVE(8)