Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Perl: restrict perl from automaticaly creating a hash branches on check Post 302924341 by durden_tyler on Saturday 8th of November 2014 02:12:18 AM
Old 11-08-2014
That's a documented behavior in Perl and is called "autovivification".
Check the stackoverflow website for the question "How do I disable autovivification in Perl?" for a detailed discussion and workarounds.

gandolf989 has a point here. Any reason you do *not* want the intermediate branches to be created? As long as they are empty and your existence checks return the values as expected, your program should be fine.

Autovivification in Perl is by design. It's not a bug; it's a feature. And I think it stems from Perl's tendency to go out of its way to make your text processing task easy.
For an in-depth technical discussion of why it works like that, what its advantages are and what problems it solves, check this link: http://www.sysarch.com/Perl/autoviv.txt
This User Gave Thanks to durden_tyler For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash

HI I have a hash like this $hashname->{$filesystem}->{'fsname'}=$filesystem; How to get the values from this multilevel hash. Thanks in advance... :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash

hi i have two hash achi %disk1,%disk2 with( key, value) (key1,value1) How to store it in another hash.. Plz replyyy. Regards Hari (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl (word by word check if a hash key)

Hi, Now i work in a code that 1-get data stored in the database in the form of hash table with a key field which is the " Name" 2-in the same time i open a txt file and loop through it word by word 3- which i have a problem in is that : I need to loop word by word and check if it is a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eng_shimaa
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Perl loop txt and check if a hash key

Hi, The task i have to do is to 1- create a database contains the Names .run the query and store results in hash make the Name field is the hash key 2- in the same time i have a txt which i will loop through it word by word and check for each word if a hash key ( compare it with the Names in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eng_shimaa
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl hash - using a range as a hash key.

Hi, In Perl, is it possible to use a range of numbers with '..' as a key in a hash? Something in like: %hash = ( '768..1536' => '1G', '1537..2560' => '2G' ); That is, the range operation is evaluated, and all members of the range are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsw
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash help

Hi , i have the below code its working fine when i execute in unix , but its not working in windows could you pls explain me where i am going wrong. This is the program $data = { '1' => 'one' , '2' => 'two' , 3 => 'three' }; print "hello : $data->{'1'}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragilla
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

9. Programming

Perl: How to load some functions automaticaly, starting Perl inteructively (with -d -e 0)?

I would like to use Perl in 'interactive' mode (kind off), starting it by > perl -d -e 0; But I need to have some function be read on loading. Also, it should not be for anyone who starting Perl or use it any how. I did try to search, but not much result. I have try a file '.perldb':... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restrict remote DB connection from PERL

I have PERL code to connect to Oracle database using DBI. e.g. $PERL -e "use DBI; DBI->connect(qw(DBI:Oracle:db111 testu testpass));" by using DBI , if remote DB added to tnsnames.ora , I can connect using DBI . is there a way to restrict not to connect to remote DB using DBI ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies
Finance::Quote::Cdnfundlibrary(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			 Finance::Quote::Cdnfundlibrary(3)

NAME
Finance::Quote::Cdnfundlibrary - Obtain mutual fund prices from www.fundlibrary.com SYNOPSIS
use Finance::Quote; $q = Finance::Quote->new; %stockinfo = $q->fetch("canadamutual","fundlib-code"); # Can failover to other methods %stockinfo = $q->fetch("fundlibrary","fundlib-code"); # Use this module only. # NOTE: currently no failover methods exist for canadamutual DESCRIPTION
This module obtains information about Canadian Mutual Fund prices from www.fundlibrary.com. The information source "canadamutual" can be used if the source of prices is irrelevant, and "fundlibrary" if you specifically want to use www.fundlibrary.com. FUNDLIB-CODE In Canada a mutual fund does not have a unique global symbol identifier. This module uses an id that represents the mutual fund on an id used by www.fundlibrary.com. There is no easy way of fetching the id except to jump onto the fundlibrary website, look up the fund and view the url for clues to its id number. LABELS RETURNED
Information available from fundlibrary may include the following labels: exchange method link source name currency yield last nav price. The link label will be a url location for a one page snapshot that fundlibrary provides on the fund. SEE ALSO
Fundlibrary website - http://www.fundlibrary.com/ Finance::Quote perl v5.12.1 2009-10-05 Finance::Quote::Cdnfundlibrary(3)