Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rsync move with symlinks
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rsync move with symlinks Post 302924299 by DGPickett on Friday 7th of November 2014 03:37:49 PM
Old 11-07-2014
There is no substitute for reading the man pages and trying things out to get the behaviors you want. I am not quite sure what you want to achieve. Is this inside one machine, or is that just a test for a remote setup?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

search and replace symlinks

Hello All, Assuming i have a thousand symlinks under directory /mydir (and its sub-dir) such as: mysymlink1 -> ../../../myfoo/mysymlink1 mysymlink2 -> ../../../myfoo/mysymlink2 How can I search the string "myfoo" and replaced with "yourfoo" such that after the operation is complete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixrock
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Symlinks?

Please don't laugh or call me a fool... I'm trying to set up a script that will go through my Music File directory and generate a set of symbolic links in a directory called "What's New". Within that directory there will be a "30 Days", "3 Months", "6 Months" and "A Year" directories. Within... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symlinks

Given a filename, is it possible to know haow many symbolic links are pointing to it? How can I tell? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ct1977
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash rsync but move not delete

There might be an easy solution to my problem, or maybe not, but here it is. I am trying to rsync a Volume with 1.5 terabytes of data and send it via fibre channel to a raid array. Now normally when I rsync it scans through everything and, before copying anything, deletes any files that have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Movomito
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserve timestamp of symlinks using rsync

Hi, In my shell programming, When i copy sym links from one server to another server using rsync it does not preserve time stamp . it showing current time after copying in destination server.the command i used is rsync -vaR -- How can i preserve sym links time stamp using rsync. Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find + Symlinks = me confused

So i have read the man pages a few time. Searched google but I am not quite sure i understand all the lingo. What i want to do is list all files on / except i dont want any symlinks (because if I am searching / I will find the "true" file...correct?) So there is the -P, -H, and '-type l'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move directory with rsync and delete from source

I need a rsync command which will exclude certain files and directories from source and copy the rest. I got this command working, sudo rsync -avzh --exclude 'bin' --exclude 'braintree' --exclude 'colinmollenhour' --exclude 'composer' --exclude 'doctrine' --exclude 'fabpot' --exclude... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move directory recursive and leave symlinks at source

Looking for a script or command to - Move a very large directory with tens of thousands of files and sub-directories recursively (filenames can include spaces) and replace with symlinks pointing to the new location at the same time so there is no downtime Looking for speed + safety :o (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: carnagel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync Error: rsync: link_stat failed: No such file or directory (2)

I wish to copy all the files & folder under /web/Transfer_Files/data/ on mymac1 (Linux) to remote server mybank.intra.com (Solaris 10) /tmp/ location I am using Ansible tool synchronize module which triggers the unix rsync command as below:rsync --delay-updates -F --compress --archive --rsh=ssh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync and Move files

I Have a requirement where i have to sync two directories one on source location server A and other on destination location server B as i do not have ssh access from server A----------->B I am doing rsync from server B, The Requirement is as follows Two directories on the source and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
4 Replies
CATDIC(1)						      General Commands Manual							 CATDIC(1)

NAME
catdic - Download a dictionary SYNOPSIS
catdic [{-cs|-cannaserver} canna-server] [-i|-u user-name] remote-dic [-l local-file] DESCRIPTION
catdic downloads a dictionary file to the current directory. The file downloaded is a dictionary file the dictionary name of which is remote-dic. It is in the user dictionary directory of the machine on which cannaserver(1M) is in operation. (Hereafter, this machine is called the remote host.) OPTIONS
-cs canna-server (or -cannaserver canna-server) Specifies the name of the server machine that contains a dictionary to be downloaded. -i Downloads the system dictionary. -u user-name Specifies the user name. Another user's dictionary can be referenced by this user name. -l local-file local-file is the dictionary file name. If it is omitted, the standard output will be assumed. EXAMPLES
% catdic test Outputs the contents of dictionary file ``test'' on the remote host, to the standard output. % catdic test -l test2.t Downloads dictionary file ``test'' on the remote host to current directory file ``test2.t''. SEE ALSO
cannaserver(1M), lsdic(1), mkdic(1) CATDIC(1)