Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process Post 302923602 by junior-helper on Monday 3rd of November 2014 06:31:31 PM
Old 11-03-2014
I guess this is it Smilie WARNING: There is no error checking at all!

Code:
#!/bin/bash

ufile=$1 #user file name
ulf=$2 #user line from
ult=$3 #user line to

ifile=$4 #item file name
ilf=$5 #item line from
ilt=$6 #item line to

for user in `awk -vULF=$ulf -vULT=$ult 'NR>=ULF && NR<=ULT' $ufile` ; do
 for item in `awk -vILF=$ilf -vILT=$ilt 'NR>=ILF && NR<=ILT' $ifile` ; do
  echo $user @ $item
 done
done

Demonstration:
Code:
$ for i in {1..100}; do echo user$i >>userlist; done
$ for i in {1..100}; do echo item$i >>itemlist; done
$
$ ./script.sh userlist 23 30 itemlist 60 65
user23 @ item60
user23 @ item61
user23 @ item62
user23 @ item63
user23 @ item64
user23 @ item65
user24 @ item60
user24 @ item61
user24 @ item62
user24 @ item63
user24 @ item64
user24 @ item65
user25 @ item60
user25 @ item61
user25 @ item62
user25 @ item63
user25 @ item64
user25 @ item65
user26 @ item60
user26 @ item61
user26 @ item62
user26 @ item63
user26 @ item64
user26 @ item65
user27 @ item60
user27 @ item61
user27 @ item62
user27 @ item63
user27 @ item64
user27 @ item65
user28 @ item60
user28 @ item61
user28 @ item62
user28 @ item63
user28 @ item64
user28 @ item65
user29 @ item60
user29 @ item61
user29 @ item62
user29 @ item63
user29 @ item64
user29 @ item65
user30 @ item60
user30 @ item61
user30 @ item62
user30 @ item63
user30 @ item64
user30 @ item65
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to read a file till it encounters a blank line

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS: SINGCORP invalid... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS: SINGCORP invalid... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent Help required : awk/sed help to find pattern and delete till end of line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file line by line and process the line to generate another file

Hi, i have file which contains data as below(Only sample shown, it may contain more data similar to the one shown here) i need to read this file line by line and generate an output file like the one below i.e based on N value the number of MSISDNs will vary, if N=1 then the following... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a text file line by line & process it...

Hi , I am trying to write an shell, which reads a text file (from a location) having a list of numbers of strictly 5 digits only ex: 33144 Now my script will check : 1) that each entry is only 5 digits & numeric only, no alphabets, & its not empty. 2)then it executes a shell script called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_to_shell
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies
menu_item_userptr(3CURSES)				     Curses Library Functions					menu_item_userptr(3CURSES)

NAME
menu_item_userptr, set_item_userptr, item_userptr - associate application data with menus items SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmenu -lcurses [ library... ] #include <menu.h> int set_item_userptr(ITEM *item, char *userptr); char *item_userptr(ITEM *item); DESCRIPTION
Every item has an associated user pointer that can be used to store relevant information. set_item_userptr() sets the user pointer of item. item_userptr() returns the user pointer of item. RETURN VALUES
item_userptr() returns NULL on error. set_item_userptr() returns one of the following: E_OK The routine returned successfully. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), menus(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <menu.h> automatically includes the headers <eti.h> and <curses.h>. SunOS 5.11 31 Dec 1996 menu_item_userptr(3CURSES)