Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process Post 302923590 by Optimus81 on Monday 3rd of November 2014 04:49:31 PM
Old 11-03-2014
Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All,

Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool.

Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files.

utility tool accepts :
a. userinfo file : which contains username
b. item file : which contains items to be processed by mentioned users from userinfo file.

Below script works fine for userfile and itemfile

Am thinking of writing a wrapper script which call this script but in the wapper script it should execute utility tool from specified lines to perticular line from userfile and even for itemfile.

for ex : say userfile has 100 users and itemfile has 1000 items. so, i should call the wrapper script with passing argument saying run script for users from line 20-45 from userfile and say item from line 250-400 from itemfile.

basically it should run the utility tool from specified user number to a specfied item numbers.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

#echo "***********************************************"

count=1
userFile=$1

if [ -f $userFile ]; then
 echo "userfile exist"
else
 echo "user file $userFile do not exit, exiting !!!"
 exit 1
fi

for user in ` cat $userFile ` ; do
./dmstool -S rms -h 10.212.45.67 -f /tmp/itemfile -m -u $user
   #sleep 5
    echo "Completed - user $count"
   (( count=$count+1 ))
done

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Optimus81; 11-03-2014 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: code tag added

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how to read a file till it encounters a blank line

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS: SINGCORP invalid... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hi , I want to read a file starting with "*" up to till it encounters a blank line and to redirect this output to a different file.Plz suggest how to write a script for this. e.g:- * PK Sent Email (11.23) CALYPSO 1243215 9116457 NEW TRAD FAILED Nov 23 2007 9:34AM OASYS: DPS: SINGCORP invalid... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent Help required : awk/sed help to find pattern and delete till end of line

Hi, I need help with using an awk or sed filter on the below line ALTER TABLE "ACCOUNT" ADD CONSTRAINT "ACCOUNT_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ACCT_ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1) TABLESPACE "WMC_DATA" LOGGING ENABLE Look for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file line by line and process the line to generate another file

Hi, i have file which contains data as below(Only sample shown, it may contain more data similar to the one shown here) i need to read this file line by line and generate an output file like the one below i.e based on N value the number of MSISDNs will vary, if N=1 then the following... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a text file line by line & process it...

Hi , I am trying to write an shell, which reads a text file (from a location) having a list of numbers of strictly 5 digits only ex: 33144 Now my script will check : 1) that each entry is only 5 digits & numeric only, no alphabets, & its not empty. 2)then it executes a shell script called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_to_shell
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

With script bash, read file line per line starting at the end

Hello, I'm works on Ubuntu server My goal : I would like to read file line per line, but i want to started at the end of file. Currently, I use instructions : while read line; do COMMAND done < /var/log/apache2/access.log But, the first line, i don't want this. The file is long... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fuziion
5 Replies
PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)					      General Commands Manual					     PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
pct-scanner-script - easy scan and create merged DjVu and PDF documents for archiving SYNOPSIS
pct-scanner-script [--help] DESCRIPTION
pct-scanner-script is a bash script and configuration system to easily scan documents and create a digital archiving. It can create DjVu PDF and JPEG outputs, in merged and individual files. It also has a configuration system where different configurations can be defined, making it easy to switch between configurations. Please use pct-scanner-script --help to find all program options, the complete help, and all examples. Features: - auto archiving in merged and individual DjVu, PDF, and JPEG files - auto and manual resume when scanning somehow fails - cascading configuration system, for easy customizing - easy command-line-style bash program, with useful options - archiving made possible with both adf and flatbed scanners - built for productivity and daily use - uses bash, scanadf and other mainstream processing tools - multilanguage commandline output OPTIONS
-h, --help, -? Show summary of options, help, and examples. DEBUGGING
This program is a helper script to easy scan and automated digital document archiving for normal and adf scanners. You can debug this script by running it as bash -x pct-scanner-script [options]. The script is just a nice wrapper for the scanadf, DjVu and PDF tools. SEE ALSO
scanadf(1), AUTHOR
pct-scanner-script and this manual page are written by: Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>. March 31, 2009 PCT-SCANNER-SCRIPT(1)