Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Conditionally add character at end of line Post 302923127 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 30th of October 2014 03:18:40 PM
Old 10-30-2014
More variations
Code:
sed 's/;\{0,1\}$/;/' file

GNU sed -r / BSD sed -E:
Code:
sed -E 's/;?$/;/' file

Code:
sed 's/[^;]$/&;/' file

--
For a fixed number of fields:
Code:
awk -v n=6 '{$n=x}1' FS=\; OFS=\; file

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-30-2014 at 05:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

End of line character in BAsh

I'm trying to match the end of line character in a shell script under bash. What I have done it got is a loop that reads each line of a file into a temp variable and then I get each letter of that variable and do some work on it. One think I want to do it check if the character I checking if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rukshan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

end of the line character

How do i determine what the end of the line character is in a text file. for eg. is it \n or \f or \t etc.. Is there a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomboo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stripping last character from end of each line

Hi, sorry for being dumb but I have a file with a variable amount of records (day to day it differs) but is fixed at 80 characters wide. Unfortunately the 80th and last charachter in each line is a "^M" carriage return character which i want to get rid of. Is there a really easy command that i can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add new line character at the end of a file

hi all, i have this question: How to add new line character at the end of a file???? i need this because i am loading a file to sybase and i have problems with the last record thanks for your help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a special character at the end of the line

I used following to add * at the end of the line in file1. It adds * at the end but has a space before it for some lines but some other lines it adds exactly after the last character. How do I take out the space ? sed 's/$/*/' file1 > file2 example: contents of file1 : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to the end of each line in file

hi all i have 32 lines in file. the length of each line is 82 , i want that in the end of each line , means in postion 83-84 to put two characters 0d(=\015), 0a(=\012) i want that the 0d will be in postion 83 and the 0a will be in postion 84 in each line of the file how shall i do it ? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

add character to every end-of line in file

Hi All I have a file which conatins record.the length of every records is 47. problem : in the end of record i don't have a "\015" character. i want to add this "\015" charcter in the end of every record. the file contains something like 700 records. i've tried with sed command - nothing. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text at the end of line conditionally

Hi All, I have a file as below: cat myfile abcdef NA rwer tyujkl na I wish to add the text ".txt" at the end of all lines except the lines starting with NA or na. I know i can add text at the end of line using following command but I am not sure how to valiate the condition. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a character at end of line?

Hai, I have got a small requirement in my script. and i am using bash shell. I need to add a dot (.) for some particular line in a file. Say for example, $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2 3 This is line3 O/p should be : $Cat rmfile 1 This is line1 2 This is line2. #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivajee
2 Replies
ZIPGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							ZIPGREP(1)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1), zip(1), funzip(1), zipcloak(1), zipinfo(1), zipnote(1), zipsplit(1) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1)