Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Stale PPs in AIX, failed disks.. how to replace? Post 302922798 by c3rb3rus on Tuesday 28th of October 2014 10:45:04 AM
Old 10-28-2014
Tried to extend the volume..

Code:
# extendvg vg_usr1 hdisk42
0516-1398 extendvg: The physical volume hdisk42, appears to belong to another volume group. Use the force option to add this physical volume to a volume group.
0516-792 extendvg: Unable to extend volume group.

Interesting error, since hdisk42 shows it is not assigned when I ssue "lspv hdisk42", I get..

Code:
Physical volume hdisk42 is not assigned to a volume group.

So next, i tried to force it and it worked.. "extendvg -f vg_usr1 hdisk42"

Then I tried mirrorvg vg_usr1, and I get..

Code:
# mirrorvg vg_usr1
0516-1119 mirrorvg: Not enough free physical partitions to satisfy request.
0516-1200 mirrorvg: Failed to mirror the volume group.

This coresponds to what you said, since I had 2 disks fail I don't have enough for this command, so next I try.

Looking at lslv lv_usr1 I have it set for Copies = 2, so I will add 2 for the mklvcopy cmdlet.

However, next I get this error.

Code:
# mklvcopy lv_usr1 2 hdisk42
0516-1509 mklvcopy: VGDA corruption: physical partition info for this LV is invalid.
0516-842 mklvcopy: Unable to make logical partition copies for
        logical volume.

The output of lslv_lv_usr1 is:

Code:
# lslv lv_usr1
LOGICAL VOLUME:     lv_usr1                VOLUME GROUP:   vg_usr1
LV IDENTIFIER:      000015010000d60000000141138f2577.1 PERMISSION:     read/write
VG STATE:           active/complete        LV STATE:       closed/syncd
TYPE:               jfs2                   WRITE VERIFY:   off
MAX LPs:            32512                  PP SIZE:        128 megabyte(s)
COPIES:             2                      SCHED POLICY:   parallel
LPs:                6005                   PPs:            12010
STALE PPs:          0                      BB POLICY:      relocatable
INTER-POLICY:       maximum                RELOCATABLE:    yes
INTRA-POLICY:       middle                 UPPER BOUND:    32
MOUNT POINT:        /usr1                  LABEL:          /usr1
MIRROR WRITE CONSISTENCY: on/ACTIVE
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes
Serialize IO ?:     NO
INFINITE RETRY:     no

Code:
# lslv -l lv_usr1
0516-1939 : PV identifier not found in VGDA.

Code:
# lsvg vg_usr1
VOLUME GROUP:       vg_usr1                  VG IDENTIFIER:  000015010000d60000000141138f2577
VG STATE:           active                   PP SIZE:        128 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION:      read/write               TOTAL PPs:      11466 (1467648 megabytes)
MAX LVs:            256                      FREE PPs:       547 (70016 megabytes)
LVs:                2                        USED PPs:       10919 (1397632 megabytes)
OPEN LVs:           0                        QUORUM:         11 (Enabled)
TOTAL PVs:          21                       VG DESCRIPTORS: 21
STALE PVs:          0                        STALE PPs:      0
ACTIVE PVs:         21                       AUTO ON:        yes
MAX PPs per VG:     32512
MAX PPs per PV:     1016                     MAX PVs:        32
LTG size (Dynamic): 256 kilobyte(s)          AUTO SYNC:      no
HOT SPARE:          no                       BB POLICY:      relocatable
PV RESTRICTION:     none                     INFINITE RETRY: no
DISK BLOCK SIZE:    512

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disks on AIX

Hello I've been working on AIX 5.3 ML3 on IBM pSeries520. That server has 6 HDD drives in 3 volume groups (1+mirror in each group). I must check which phisical disk is which disk in the system. For ex. I want to know that disk in 4th slot in the machine is marked as hdisk5 on AIX. Does anybody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

2. AIX

Replace a Failed Root Disk in AIX

My root disk is failed and how to replace the root disk in AIX. Can u give a detailed explanation in step wise. Pls give the answer taking different scenarios. Regards Praveen (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnu_mulakala
1 Replies

3. AIX

system disks on aix 5.3

hello i'm running on P570 box aix 5.3 8 cpus 24G ram there are 1850 users loged in to this box the problem is that the two sysytem disks busy all the time hdisk0 100% busy hdisk1 100% busy some one have an idea what writing to this disks? thanks ariec (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
9 Replies

4. AIX

Configurin EMC SAN disks on AIX

This may sound like an absolute rookie question, and it is. I have been working on Migrating our HP and Solaris servers to the new EMC SAN and know the routines backwards. Now we've suddenly got a new IBM server and I don't even know how to check if it is connected to the switch. Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronellevan
1 Replies

5. AIX

Configuring new disks on AIX cluster

We run two p5 nodes running AIX 5L in a cluster mode (HACMP), both the nodes share external disk arrays. Only the primary node can access the shared disks at a given point of time. We are in the process of adding two new disks to the disk arrays so as to make them available to the existing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Command to find the failed disks in SVM and VxVM

How to find & replace bad disks in solaris & VXVM?plz explain step by step? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtreams
2 Replies

7. AIX

Issue with increasing size of SAN disks on AIX

HI, I have had an issue last night while trying to extend a filesystsem . chvg -g <vg> command cameback with an error 0516-1790 chvg: Failed bootinfo -s hdisk9. Ensure the physical volume is available and try again. 0516-732 chvg: Unable to change volume group u01vg. the VG has 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xmen01
1 Replies

8. AIX

How to reclaim hard disks and IP's in AIX?

Hello I recently received a request to reclaim hard disks and IP addresses within an AIX system(s). THe file systems are no longer in use and the client has indicated that it is OK to remove them and reclaim the disks and release the IP's. Now, since the file systems belong to a Volume group I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joseph Sabo
8 Replies

9. AIX

AIX - stale partition

Hi everybody, I have a little problem with my AIX 6.1, PowerHA 6.1 LVM mirror. After problem with SAN pathing of our one Datacenter, I have LV at stale state. # lsvg cpsdata2vg VOLUME GROUP: cpsdata2vg VG IDENTIFIER: 00fb518c00004c0000000169445f4c2c VG STATE: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necronomic
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DISKs are gone after shutting down and replace an FC card

Hi there, I had issue with one of MY FC cards on T4-2 servers so system team replace it and start the machine but when launch FORMAT command so I don't see my shared disks coming from storage controller. i have checked at the Fabric switch so WWN numbers are visible and zones are ok and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janakors
1 Replies