Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concatenate text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Concatenate text file Post 302922652 by RudiC on Monday 27th of October 2014 12:46:14 PM
Old 10-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccabe
. . .Would the above concatenate $1,$2,$3 in column 1 and $4 in column 2? . . .
What you call columns is called fields in awk etc. terms which in turn are separated by field separators (FS). So what will be interpreted as a field depends on the definition of the FS. It defaults to whitespace (space, tab, newline) in awk. With the defaults, your input will have four fields. Should FS be set to e.g. "#" or "," , your input will have just one single field.

So, the answer to your above question is "yes" if default FS are used, but might be "possible" or "no" if you define different FS.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file Concatenate

Hi All, I have a question about file concatenate on unix. I have two file 1 of them like aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd other one is eee,fff,ggg,hhh I want to concatenate those file like this position aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee,fff,ggg,hhh how can I do this ?? thanks. Alice (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Concatenate text of two files in UNIX.

I have a file MyTest.csv saved in Unicode format in Incoming directory, and I have another file called MyTest.csv saved in ANSII format in InProcess Directory. I need to concatenate the text of both these files and put in another file MyTest.csv which is placed in the root directory. How do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Uniq
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert file names when concatenate files into a file

Hi I found the following line would concatenate all test_01 test_02 test_03 files into "bigfile". cat test_* >> bigfile But, what I'm looking for a way to insert each file names in order when concatenated in "bigfile". Thank you samky2005 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samky2005
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate text files together

Hi. I'm attempting to copy 4 text files together to create one larger file. All four files contain text in the same format. Can I do this? I attempted this, but it didn't work: cp wscreening_test_h_po.dat+wscreening_test_b_po.dat+wscreening_test_h_notpo.dat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buechler66
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate strings retrieved from a file and write it into another file

Hi, I have a file files.txt containing data as below: abc;xyz uvw;pqr 123;456 I want to develop strings like below using the above data and write them into another file: www/xxx/abc/yyy/xyz www/xxx/uvw/yyy/pqr www/xxx/123/yyy/456 All this needs to be done through .sh file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: archana.n
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate text between patterns in individual strings

In any given file, wherever a certain data block exists I need to concatenate the values(text after each "=" sign) from that block. in that block. The block starts and ends with specific pattern, say BEGIN DS and END DS respectively. The block size may vary. A file will have multiple such blocks.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
12 Replies

7. Programming

Concatenate string from text file

Hi mY files paths are defined as : //sbase = 'D:\data\sample_AMC\fasta_files\'; sbase2 = 'D:\data\sample_AMC\fasta_files\results\'; snameprefix = 'orig_ind'; snameprefix3 = 'results_ind'; ... const string filname = sbase + snameprefix + snamesuffix; const string resultsname_ =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate 2-columns by 2 -columns for a text file?

Hello, I want to concatenate 2-columns by 2-columns separated by colon. How can I do so? For example, I have a text file containing 6 columns separated by tab. I want to concatenate column 1 and 2; column 3 and 4; column 5 and 6, respectively, and put a colon in between. input file: 1 0 0 1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   JOIN(1)

NAME
join -- relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-a file_number | -v file_number] [-e string] [-o list] [-t char] [-1 field] [-2 field] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The join utility performs an ``equality join'' on the specified files and writes the result to the standard output. The ``join field'' is the field in each file by which the files are compared. The first field in each line is used by default. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 which have identical join fields. Each output line consists of the join field, the remaining fields from file1 and then the remaining fields from file2. The default field separators are tab and space characters. In this case, multiple tabs and spaces count as a single field separator, and leading tabs and spaces are ignored. The default output field separator is a single space character. Many of the options use file and field numbers. Both file numbers and field numbers are 1 based, i.e. the first file on the command line is file number 1 and the first field is field number 1. The following options are available: -a file_number In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. -e string Replace empty output fields with string. -o list The -o option specifies the fields that will be output from each file for each line with matching join fields. Each element of list has the either the form 'file_number.field', where file_number is a file number and field is a field number, or the form '0' (zero), representing the join field. The elements of list must be either comma (``,'') or whitespace separated. (The latter requires quot- ing to protect it from the shell, or, a simpler approach is to use multiple -o options.) -t char Use character char as a field delimiter for both input and output. Every occurrence of char in a line is significant. -v file_number Do not display the default output, but display a line for each unpairable line in file file_number. The options -v 1 and -v 2 may be specified at the same time. -1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. When the default field delimiter characters are used, the files to be joined should be ordered in the collating sequence of sort(1), using the -b option, on the fields on which they are to be joined, otherwise join may not report all field matches. When the field delimiter char- acters are specified by the -t option, the collating sequence should be the same as sort(1) without the -b option. If one of the arguments file1 or file2 is ``-'', the standard input is used. DIAGNOSTICS
The join utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with historic versions of join, the following options are available: -a In addition to the default output, produce a line for each unpairable line in both file 1 and file 2. -j1 field Join on the field'th field of file 1. -j2 field Join on the field'th field of file 2. -j field Join on the field'th field of both file 1 and file 2. -o list ... Historical implementations of join permitted multiple arguments to the -o option. These arguments were of the form 'file_number.field_number' as described for the current -o option. This has obvious difficulties in the presence of files named '1.2'. These options are available only so historic shellscripts don't require modification and should not be used. STANDARDS
The join command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), paste(1), sort(1), uniq(1) BSD
April 18, 2002 BSD