Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Hyperthreaded virtual cores, different C-States? Post 302922388 by agentrnge on Friday 24th of October 2014 10:08:55 AM
Old 10-24-2014
Hyperthreaded virtual cores, different C-States?

turbostat reports C-states of all CPU cores, and includes entries for each hyper-threaded core as well. Often enough the two logical cores on a single physical core will list different C state percentages. Does that make any sense?

Is this reporting the c-states of the few duplicated parts that support hyperthreading, vs the actual computing units in the single physical core?

This isn't a turbostat specific question, that just happens to be the tool I used to display that info. Its more a question about hyperthreading in general.
Edit: CPU is an Intel 5820K hexacore if that matters. Its my first hyperthreaded CPU.

Last edited by agentrnge; 10-24-2014 at 11:21 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

laymens terms for netstat states

Ok, I've read the manpages on netstat and it gives a good description of the state values such as CLOSE_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, SYN_RECEIVED, etc.. Can someone give me real world situations where you would get these states. LIke for example if I got SYN_RECEIVED what possible situations would be the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. Solaris

meaning of states in sun clusters

Hi Everybody, As I am new to Sun Clusters, Please help me what is "online but not monitored" state of resources and "online - service is online" in status message. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mayahari
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Have to log out of a virtual terminal twice in order to exit virtual terminals

Not really a newbie, but I have a strange problem and I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot it. I have to log out of a virtual terminal by typing exit, then exit again as in: woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~ $ exit logout woodnt@toshiba-laptop ~ $ exit logout I DON'T have to do this when I'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Narnie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix process states

I am trying to write my own Unix compliant (SUSv4) OS - Just a hobby OS, nothing serious. While going through the standard, I couldn't find any explicit information on process states. What I could find was (excluding the real-time considerations)- From this it can be inferred that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinkerbeast
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Change hostID of Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine installed by Virtual Box 4.1.12 on Windows-XP host

Trying to set or modify the randomly set hostID of a Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine that I installed on a Windows-XP host machine (using Virtual Box 4.1.12). I was able to set/modify the hostname of the Solaris 10 virtual/guest machine during installation as well as via the Virtual Box... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matt_VB
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count no of netstat states

netstat | awk '/server/ {for(i=1;i<2;i++) {getline;print}' Output: ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED ESTABLISHED TIME_WAIT TIME_WAIT From the above command I'm getting all the states. I want to count the states and write to a file, like "Count of ESTABLISHED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command showing different states for same process

I am using HP-UX,KSH $ jobs -l + 19377 Running nohup ksh cat_Duplicate_Records_Removal.ksh </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 & $ ps -p 19377 -fl F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 19377 19491 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TomG
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Providing virtual machine priority in kvm based virtual machines

Hi All, Is there any way I can prioritize my VMs when there is resource crunch in host machine so that some VMs will be allocated more vcpu, more memory than other VMs in kvm/qemu hypervisor based virtual machines? Lets say in my cloud environment my Ubuntu 16 compute hosts are running some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayK
0 Replies
icapstatus(1M)															    icapstatus(1M)

NAME
icapstatus - Display Instant Capacity (iCAP) status and system information. SYNOPSIS
icapstatus icapstatus -s Deprecated: icod_stat icod_stat -s DESCRIPTION
The command displays Instant Capacity status and configuration information, counts, status, and allocation of Instant Capacity components (cores, memory, and cells) for an Instant Capacity system. If the system is a member of a Global Instant Capacity (GiCAP) group, member- ship information and status on any borrowed or loaned usage rights is displayed. Optionally, system snapshot information containing encrypted audit data is displayed. The deprecated command performs the identical functions and is maintained for backward compatibility. For further information see the located at /usr/share/doc/icapUserGuide.pdf. Symbols used in the display uses symbols next to the value of some fields in certain circumstances. These symbols are: * Indicates an estimated number of active cores or active memory. For more information on what these estimates might be, see the located at /usr/share/doc/icapUserGuide.pdf. # Indicates that all cores in the partition have been requested to be active. The number indicates the current number of cores in the partition. icapstatus display fields If no options are specified, displays: Software Version: This field displays the version of the Instant Capacity client software on the local system. System ID: This field displays the user-specified system identifier that the Instant Capacity system uses when reporting the system state to HP, and when HP refers to this system in correspondence to the system contact. The default value for this field is the hostname of the Instant Capacity system. To change this value, use the command (see icapmodify(1M)). Serial number: This field displays the hardware serial number of the Instant Capacity complex. Product number: This field displays the hardware product number of the Instant Capacity complex. Unique ID: This field displays a unique identifier for the Instant Capacity complex (generated by HP). System contact email: This field displays the email address for the person who should receive configuration change notification and exception reports for the local system. This field is set via the command. From email: This field displays the email address that will be specified as the sender of all Instant Capacity initiated email corre- spondence for the local system. This field is set via the command. If not set, email will be sent from the adm user on the local system. Asset reporting: This field indicates if the Instant Capacity software on the local system is presently configured to send email asset reports to HP. This is configured using the command. Temporary capacity warning period: This field displays the number of days constituting the temporary capacity warning period for the complex. When the tem- porary capacity balance is projected to be depleted within this number of days, a warning message is sent by email to the system contact and to root. The value of the warning period can be set using the command. Exception Status: This field indicates if the complex is presently in an exception state. A complex is usually in an exception state when the number of active components of a given type (cores, cells, memory) exceeds the number of available usage rights for that component type. The one exception is that the number of active cores is allowed to exceed the number of core usage rights as long as there is a sufficient positive balance of temporary capacity. A negative temporary capacity balance is always an exception state. Information displayed for a GiCAP group The following status information is displayed when the system is a member of a GiCAP group. Member <mname> in GiCAP group <gname> This section heading identifies the member name (<mname>) and the name of the GiCAP group (<gname>) that includes this system as a member. Active Group Manager: This field identifies the name of the active Group Manager system where you can get more detailed information about the group, by invoking the command (see icapmanage(1M)). Standby Group Manager: This field identifies the name of the standby Group Manager system, if a standby has been defined for the group. The standby Group Manager has the ability to take control of the group if the active Group Manager should become unavailable for any reason. The field is displayed as "N/A" if no standby Group Manager has been defined for the group. Borrowed/Loaned core usage rights: This field identifies the count of core usage rights that were either borrowed from or loaned to the GiCAP group. This value must be 0 in order to remove the member from the GiCAP group. Borrowed/Loaned cell usage rights: This field identifies the count of cell board usage rights that were either borrowed from or loaned to the GiCAP group. This value must be 0 in order to remove the member from the GiCAP group. Borrowed/Loaned memory usage rights: This field identifies the count of memory usage rights that were either borrowed from or loaned to the GiCAP group. This value must be 0 in order to remove the member from the GiCAP group. The output of reflects the results of any GiCAP group operations: the borrowing or loaning of component usage rights or the transfer of temporary capacity. The output does not take into account any component usage rights or temporary capacity that is available on other GiCAP group members. Thus, on group member A may report that there are no additional cores that may be activated with current usage rights even though there is an inactive core on group member A and an available core usage right on group member B. Use the command on the Group Manager system to get more complete information about available group resources. When a group member is using temporary capacity and core usage rights are made available on another group member through the use of , there may be a delay between the time the core usage rights are made available and the time the core usage rights move to the group member using temporary capacity. This also means that there may be a delay before the final result is reflected in the output of for each group member involved in the transfer of the core usage rights. Information displayed for the local virtual partition The following status is displayed when is run on a virtual partition. Note that some of the displayed information pertains specifically and only to the local virtual partition (such as the "number of active assigned cores" or "number of inactive assigned cores"). However, because usage rights and temporary capacity are always calculated globally across the entire complex, other local values involving these items (such as the "can be assigned" or "could be assigned" values) are the result of calculations using count values across all the parti- tions. Total number of assigned cores: This field displays the total number of cores assigned to the local virtual partition. Number of active assigned cores: This field displays the number of assigned cores in the local virtual partition that are currently active. Number of inactive assigned cores: This field displays the number of assigned cores in the local virtual partition that are currently inactive. Additional cores that can be assigned with current usage rights: This field displays the number of unassigned cores in the hard partition that are not currently assigned to any virtual partition and can be instantly assigned, because enough usage rights are available. Number of cores that could be assigned with additional usage rights: This field displays the number of cores that are available for assignment to the virtual partition if additional usage rights are purchased, or additional usage rights were borrowed from a GiCAP group. Number of cores that can be assigned with temporary capacity: This field displays the number of additional cores (beyond the number allowed by purchased usage rights or currently bor- rowed GiCAP usage rights) that can be assigned to the virtual partition and activated using temporary capacity currently available on the complex. When assigning and activating a core using temporary capacity, assumes the core is active for at least 30 minutes. Thus, if a complex has a small temporary capacity balance, it may not be possible to activate all the inactive cores in a partition using temporary capacity. Also, temporary capacity is not used as long as there are available core usage rights on the complex (or in the group, if a member of a GiCAP group), even if the -t option is used with for an activation. Number of cores currently unavailable for assignment: This field displays the number of unassigned cores in the hard partition that are not assigned to the local virtual parti- tion and cannot be instantly assigned. This number includes cores in inactive cells and deconfigured cores. If the local virtual partition is static the number includes all unassigned cores in the hard partition. Information displayed for the local nPartition In addition to displaying the current date and time as part of the heading, the following status is displayed when is run on a hard parti- tion. Much of this information is also displayed when is run on a virtual partition, except as otherwise specified. Note that some of the displayed information pertains specifically and only to the local hard partition (such as the "number of active cores" or "number of inac- tive cores"). However, because usage rights and temporary capacity are always calculated globally across the entire complex, other local values involving these items (such as "can be activated" or "could be activated" values) are the result of calculations using count values across all the partitions. The heading for this section includes a datestamp showing the date and time the command was issued. Total number of configured cores: This field displays the number of cores physically present in the hard partition. Number of intended active cores: This field displays the number of cores requested to be active for this hard partition; this is the number of cores that are activated during a boot operation. Typically, this is the number that results from the execution of an command. Other commands such as and can also affect this value. does not affect this value. Number of active cores: This field displays the current number of cores active in the hard partition. Number of inactive cores: This field displays the current number of inactive cores in the hard partition. Additional cores that can be activated with current usage rights: This field displays the number of cores that are immediately available for activation using existing core usage rights on the complex. This information is not displayed on a virtual partition. Number of cores that could be activated with additional usage rights: This field displays the number of cores that are available for activation if additional core usage rights were purchased or additional usage rights were borrowed from a GiCAP group. These cores are also available for temporary activation if temporary capacity is available. This information is not displayed on a virtual partition. Number of cores that can be activated with temporary capacity: This field displays the number of additional cores (beyond the number allowed by the purchased usage rights or currently borrowed GiCAP usage rights) that can be activated using temporary capacity currently available on the complex. When activating a core using temporary capacity, assumes the core is active for at least 30 minutes. Thus, if a complex has a small temporary capacity balance, it may not be possible to activate all the inactive cores in a partition using temporary capacity. Also, temporary capacity is not used as long as there are available core usage rights on the complex, even if the -t option is used with for an activation. This information is not displayed on a virtual partition. Number of cores that are deconfigured or attached to inactive cells: This field displays the number of cores that cannot be activated by Instant Capacity software. This includes cores in inactive cells, deconfigured cores, and failed cores deactivated because of LPMCs (Low Priority Machine Checks). This information is not displayed on a virtual partition. Instant Capacity Resource Summary The following status is displayed for the entire complex: Number of cells without usage rights: This field displays the number of configured cells in excess of the number of cell usage rights applied to the complex (purchased rights or borrowed from a GiCAP group). Therefore, this number represents the count of cells which are expected to be inactive. Number of inactive cells: This field displays the current number of inactive cells in the complex. Amount of memory without usage rights: This field displays the total amount of configured memory in excess of the amount of memory usage rights applied to the complex (purchased rights or borrowed from a GiCAP group). This amount of memory is expected to be inactive. Amount of inactive memory: This field displays the current amount of inactive memory in the complex. Number of cores without usage rights: This field displays the number of configured cores in excess of the number of core usage rights applied to the complex (purchased rights or borrowed from a GiCAP group). This is the number of cores that are expected to be inactive. (If fewer cores are inactive than are expected to be inactive, the complex is either consuming temporary capacity or is out of compliance.) Number of inactive cores: This field displays the current number of inactive cores in the complex. Number of cores using temporary capacity: This field displays the number of cores presently consuming temporary capacity in the complex. Number of cores that must be deactivated (insufficient usage rights): This field displays the number of active cores in excess of the number of available usage rights on the complex. For the system to be in compliance, this number of cores must be deactivated. Temporary capacity available: This field displays the amount of temporary capacity available. This balance is displayed in days, hours, and minutes. This value does not reflect any possible use of pooled temporary capacity from a GiCAP group, if the system is a member of a group. Projected temporary capacity expiration: This field displays the date and time that temporary capacity is projected to expire at the present consumption rate. This value does not reflect any possible use of pooled temporary capacity from a GiCAP group, if the system is a member of a group. Allocation of Instant Capacity Resources Among the nPartitions The following table displays how Instant Capacity components are distributed among the partitions in the complex: nPar ID: This field displays the partition number for the row of data. Total cores: This field displays the total number of cores physically present for the hard partition. Intended active cores: This field displays the number of cores requested to be active for this hard partition; this is the number of cores that will be activated during a boot operation. Typically, this is the number that results from the execution of an command. Other commands such as and can also affect this value. does not affect this value. Actual active cores: This field displays the current number of active cores for the hard partition. In a virtual partition, the count repre- sents the total number of cores assigned to all the virtual partitions. Inactive cores: This field displays the current number of inactive cores in the hard partition. In a virtual partition, the count repre- sents the total number of cores not assigned to any virtual partition. Inactive memory: This field displays the current amount of inactive memory in the hard partition. Inactive cells: This field displays the current number of inactive cells in the hard partition. Runs iCAP: This field indicates whether the hard partition contains compatible Instant Capacity software. nPar name: This field displays the partition name corresponding to the row of information that is displayed. If the row is the local partition, the word "local" follows the partition name. For cells that are not assigned to partitions, the "Unassigned Cells" label is displayed. Options recognizes these options: -s Displays system snapshot information. This option displays the product and serial number for this system, as well as a snapshot string that can be entered into the HP Utility Pricing Solutions portal for periodic auditing purposes. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables o LANG determines the locale to use for the locale categories when both LC_ALL and the corresponding environment variable (begin- ning with LC_) do not specify a locale. If LANG is not set or is set to the empty string, a default of C is used (see lang(5)). o LC_TIME determines the date and time strings output. o LC_MESSAGES determines the language in which messages (other than the date and time strings) are displayed. If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to C (see envi- ron(5)). RETURN VALUE
The command exits with one of these values: 0 Command succeeded. 2 Command succeeded; system is not an Instant Capacity system. >0,!=2 Command failed; error message sent to STDERR. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
icapmodify(1M), icapnotify(1M), icapmanage(1M), icapd(1M), icap(5). icapstatus(1M)