Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sum column values based in common identifier in 1st column. Post 302921948 by RudiC on Tuesday 21st of October 2014 09:24:57 AM
Old 10-21-2014
Any attempts from your side?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I sum one column based on another column?

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to awk. I have a file that contains 2 columns. Heres an example of what it looks like: 10 + 20 + 40 + 50 - 70 - So the file is tab-delimited. What I want to do is add 10 to column 1 whenever column 2 is + and substract 10 from column 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging column from two files based on identifier

Hi, I have two files consisting of two columns. So I want to merge column 2 if column 1 is the same. So heres an example of what I mean. FILE1 driver 444 car 333 hat 222 FILE2 driver 333 car 666 hat 999 So I want to merge the column 2's together so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to averaging column based on first column values

Hello I have file that consist of 2 columns of millions of entries timestamp and throughput I want to find the average (throughput ) for each equal timestamp before change it to proper format e.g : i want to average 2 coloumnd fot all 1308154800 values in column 1 and then print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadel
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

common entries between files based on 1st column

Hi, I am trying to get the common entries from 2 files based on 1st field.. However when I try to do in perl I am getting blank output.. How can I do this in awk? open(BUFF1, "my_genes"); open(BUFF3, "rawcounts"); #open(WRBUFF,">result_rawcounts"); while($line =<BUFF1>) { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum Of Column Based On Column Condition

I have a following inputfile MT,AP,CDM,TTML,MUM,GS,SUCC,3 MT,AP,CDM,TTSL,AP,GS,FAIL,9 MT,AP,CDM,RCom,MAH,GS,SUCC,3 MT,AP,CDM,RTL,HP,GS,SUCC,1 MT,AP,CDM,Uni,UPE,GS,SUCC,2 MT,AP,CDM,Uni,MUM,GS,SUCC,2 TTSL,AP,GS,MT,MAH,CDM,SUCC,20 TTML,AP,GS,MT,MAH,CDM,FAIL,10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to sum a column based on duplicate strings in another column and show split totals

Hi, I have a similar input format- A_1 2 B_0 4 A_1 1 B_2 5 A_4 1 and looking to print in this output format with headers. can you suggest in awk?awk because i am doing some pattern matching from parent file to print column 1 of my input using awk already.Thanks! letter number_of_letters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match sum of values in each column with the corresponding column value present in trailer record

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to find sum of values from column D through O present in a CSV file and check whether the sum of each Individual column matches with the value present for that corresponding column present in the trailer record. For example, let's assume for column D... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpk
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sum the values in the column using date column

I have a file which need to be summed up using date column. I/P: 2017/01/01 a 10 2017/01/01 b 20 2017/01/01 c 40 2017/01/01 a 60 2017/01/01 b 50 2017/01/01 c 40 2017/01/01 a 20 2017/01/01 b 30 2017/01/01 c 40 2017/02/01 a 10 2017/02/01 b 20 2017/02/01 c 30 2017/02/01 a 10... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Booo
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of a column as new column based on header in a script

Hello, I am trying to store sum of a column as a new column inside a file but have to find the column names dynamically I/p c1,c2,c3,c4,c5 10,20,30,40,50 20,30,40,50,60 If i want to find sum only column c1, c3 and output it as c6,c7 O/p c1,c2,c3,c4,c5,c6,c7 10,20,30,40,50,30,70... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkathi
6 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side difference program SYNOPSIS
[options ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
uses the output of diff(1) with the option, which ignores trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) and treats other strings of blanks as equal, to produce a side-by-side listing of two files, indicating those lines that are different. Each line of the two files is printed with a blank gutter between them if the lines are identical, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file1, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file2, and a for lines that are different. For example: abc | xyz abc abc bca < cba < dcb dcb > cde Options recognizes the following options: Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The maximum value of n is 2048 (LINE_MAX). The default line length is 130 charac- ters. Only print on the left side when lines are identical. Do not print identical lines. Use the next argument, output, as the name of a third file that is created as a user-controlled merging of file1 and file2. Identical lines of file1 and file2 are copied to output. Sets of differences, as produced by diff(1), are printed; where a set of differ- ences share a common gutter character. After printing each set of differences, prompts the user with a and waits for one of the following user-typed commands: append the left column to the output file append the right column to the output file turn on silent mode; do not print identical lines turn off silent mode call the editor with the left column call the editor with the right column call the editor with the concatenation of left and right call the editor with a zero length file exit from the program On exit from the editor, the resulting file is concatenated on the end of the output file. EXAMPLES
Print a side-by-side diff of two versions of a file on a printer capable of printing 132 columns: Retrieve the most recently checked in version of a file from RCS and compare it with the version currently checked out: SEE ALSO
diff(1), ed(1). sdiff(1)