Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Interpretation of Ping behaviour Post 302921811 by MadeInGermany on Monday 20th of October 2014 11:59:26 AM
Old 10-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
@Made_in_Germany -

Quick proof/disproof of your 'dns is not the problem' is to hard code with ip addresses, bypassing dns. If the problem persists it falls into the TCP traffic routing problems realm.

IMO you have to eliminate flaky DNS first.

This kind of problem is painful in person, almost intractable by remote control.
What are you after? Post #1 does ping an IP address!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell interpretation

I executed the following command in the korn shell: $ variable1="qwerty" ls | sort and the shell executed the 'ls | sort' command. I would have expected an error message from the shell, but instead of that the shell ran the 'ls | sort' command and didn't realize the variable assignement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhilippeCrokaer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpretation of the uptime command

Hi there, do someone have detailed information how to interpret the uptime command or rather which values can be called normal? (i know what the information means, but i have no idea if these values are ok or to high: 3:02pm an 13:53, 2 Benutzer, Durchschnittslast: 10,06, 12,05, 13,00) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: odin1999
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

4. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negating shell interpretation

I'm writing a Korn script but am having trouble because the shell interprets the asterisk in this case. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to fix this so that grep takes in STDIN without the interpretation? line="30 09 * * 1-4 /home/user01/bin/start" echo "$line" | grep 'start' (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprucio
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpretation of UNIX command

what does the below do. echo * | xargs ls | wc –l echo * - Output a string comprising the name of each file in the working directory, with each name separated by a space. xargs ls - construct argument list command wc -l - it will pipe the output to the wc command, which will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houmingc
4 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
MACPING(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACPING(1)

NAME
macping - A tool for pinging other RouterOS or mactelnetd devices SYNOPSIS
mactelnet [options] <MAC-Address|hostname> DESCRIPTION
This tool enables you to ping other RouterOS or MAC-Telnetd enabled devices. You can ping either a hostname or a MAC address. If speci- fied, the hostname (identity) will be looked up via MNDP discovery. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax. A summary of options is included below. -f Fast mode, do not wait before sending next ping request. The next ping will be sent immediately when the last ping is received. This cannot be used with -c 0 -s Specify the amount of bytes to send in each ping packet, up to ~1400 bytes. -c Number of packets to send before exiting. A value of 0 means unlimited packets and the tool must be exited with Control + C. -h Show summary of options. -v Show version of program. SEE ALSO
mndp(1), mactelnet(1), mactelnetd(1). AUTHOR
macping was written by Hakon Nessjoen <haakon.nessjoen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Hakon Nessjoen <haakon.nessjoen@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). February 27, 2011 MACPING(1)