Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with loops?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help with loops? Post 302921810 by sea on Monday 20th of October 2014 11:54:59 AM
Old 10-20-2014
Some more examples, hope they help Smilie

Code:
# for loop with a case statement
for planet in Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto;do
	case $planet in
	Earth)	echo "You live here on $planet"
		;;
	Pluto)	echo "$planet is no longer a planet"
		;;
	*)	echo "$planet"
		;;
	esac
done

# while loop with a counter
C=0
MAX=100
printf '\n\n\t%s\n\n' "Current numbers:"
while [[ $C -le $MAX ]];do
	printf '%s' "$C "
	c=$[ $C % 2 ]
	[[ 0 -eq $c ]] && echo "... is an equal number"
	((C++))
done

Since you pass all arguments as a single quote (all planets/words are within the same quotes), it is handled as a single string.
Therefor, there is only 1 entry, holding all the words.

However, passing an array is diffrently, there you should use: "${@}"
Here, the quotes will embrace each single element of the array, eg: a filename with whitespace in its name will remain 'valid'.

Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops?

hello....very new user to unix...and i have a question..i am not sure if there is such a thing For example...the user is asked if he likes Bananas....if he says yes.... echo You like Bananas $name at the end of the script it echos all that the user has entered so they can read it.... but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops within loops

I am running on HPUX using ksh. I have a script that uses a loop within a loop, for some reason the script seems to hang on a particuliar record. The record is fine and hits the condition in Blue. If I kill the 1st loop process the script continues on with no problem. Begin code> <Some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bthomas
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with While Loops

I am traversing down a list, and I am not quite sure how to tell the loop to break when it's done going through the file. #!/bin/sh while : do read list <&3 echo $list done is the code. The file "list" is simply 5 4 3 2 1 any advice on how to break the loop after the file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' A= a c b t g j i e d B= t y u i o p counter=0 found="" for i in $(cat $A) do for j in $(cat $B) do if then found="yes" fi done if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops with tr

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the 'unix for dummies' or the 'unix for experts' forum because I'm new to this forum and this is the second topic I've discussed, but if you could let me know which one was more appropriate for something like this, please do! So in tr (an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
MAX(3)									 1								    MAX(3)

max - Find highest value

SYNOPSIS
mixed max (array $values) DESCRIPTION
mixed max (mixed $value1, mixed $value2, [mixed $...]) If the first and only parameter is an array, max(3) returns the highest value in that array. If at least two parameters are provided, max(3) returns the biggest of these values. Note Values of different types will be compared using the standard comparison rules. For instance, a non-numeric string will be com- pared to an integer as though it were 0, but multiple string values will be compared alphanumerically. The actual value returned will be of the original type with no conversion applied. PARAMETERS
o $values - An array containing the values. o $value1 - Any comparable value. o $value2 - Any comparable value. o $... - Any comparable value. RETURN VALUES
max(3) returns the parameter value considered "highest" according to standard comparisons. If multiple values of different types evaluate as equal (e.g. 0 and 'abc') the first provided to the function will be returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example uses of max(3) <?php echo max(2, 3, 1, 6, 7); // 7 echo max(array(2, 4, 5)); // 5 // The string 'hello' when compared to an int is treated as 0 // Since the two values are equal, the order they are provided determines the result echo max(0, 'hello'); // 0 echo max('hello', 0); // hello // Here we are comparing -1 < 0, so 'hello' is the highest value echo max('hello', -1); // hello // With multiple arrays of different lengths, max returns the longest $val = max(array(2, 2, 2), array(1, 1, 1, 1)); // array(1, 1, 1, 1) // Multiple arrays of the same length are compared from left to right // so in our example: 2 == 2, but 5 > 4 $val = max(array(2, 4, 8), array(2, 5, 1)); // array(2, 5, 1) // If both an array and non-array are given, the array will be returned // as comparisons treat arrays as greater than any other value $val = max('string', array(2, 5, 7), 42); // array(2, 5, 7) // If one argument is NULL or a boolean, it will be compared against // other values using the rule FALSE < TRUE regardless of the other types involved // In the below example, -10 is treated as TRUE in the comparison $val = max(-10, FALSE); // -10 // 0, on the other hand, is treated as FALSE, so is "lower than" TRUE $val = max(0, TRUE); // TRUE ?> SEE ALSO
min(3), count(3). PHP Documentation Group MAX(3)