Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Limit the number of characters in bash output Post 302920787 by jaysunn on Sunday 12th of October 2014 11:24:07 PM
Old 10-13-2014
Maybe a start using this:

Code:
jaysunn-> cat sub.sh 
#!/bin/bash
STRING1='a-very-very-very-long-crazy-filename.jpg'

for i in $STRING1
    do
        echo "PROCESSING:  ${i:0:14}..."
done

Produces:
Code:
jaysunn-> bash sub.sh 
PROCESSING:  a-very-very-ve...

Jaysunn

Last edited by jaysunn; 10-13-2014 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Example shows loop, modify as needed
This User Gave Thanks to jaysunn For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit of no of characters PER LINE in a unix file

Hi , Whats the limit of characters PER LINE in a unix file , allowed for editing..sort , cut , sed , awk etc (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohapatra
5 Replies

2. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of long limit

Hi Hi! I'm currently using AIX 5.2 and would like to know where can i find to see that there's a restriction on the number of login times a user can have. Example, I want give a 2 login per user but some one to give 3 login and some one have to give unlit login time (without logging off the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herath
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to limit number of Commands

Is there a way that I can limit number of commands that one user can run during period of time. For example Max 10 commands per senconds.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: winger0608
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

cron 80 characters limit

Hello everyone. I am trying to set up a monitor based on a "top" command statistic as follows: top -bc -n1 > output.txt I've put this command into a small script which is called by a cron... but there is something strange happening: the cron is limiting the output to output.txt to 80... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartinF
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on Number of characters in a line - Vi editor

In the vi editor, there seems to be some limit on the number of characters could be allowed in single line. I tried a line with characters up to 1880. It worked. But when i tried with something of 5000 characters, it doesnt work. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit the number of characters in a bash output

I have a script that outputs the weather on two lines. If possibly I would like to set a character limit on them Currently it outputs something like but I would like to limit the lines so appends an ellipsis if nescessary: This is the script #! /bin/bash curl -s --connect-timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Light_
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit reoccurrance of characters in lines

Hey guys and gals, Working on a script to limit the reoccurrance of characters in a line. sed "/\(.\).*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1.*1/d" -i file.txt .. To limit character reoccurance with 1x, 2x, 3x etc. However I would like to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Number of files

hi guys how can i limit number of files in a disk or partition ? or how can i make a limit to inode number for a disk or partition ? ext3 or ext4 file system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of characters of wc -l output?

I want count number of characters / find the length of the 'wc -l' output This is the command bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l 830752 So final out I want is 6 i.e lenght of 830752 I tried with awk bash-3.2$ gzcat /home/sid/file1.dat |wc -l | awk '{print length ($0)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)