Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs Post 302919175 by hicksd8 on Monday 29th of September 2014 10:42:20 AM
Old 09-29-2014
So you're running ufsdump without fssnap to snapshot first?

Perhaps it's coming across what it thinks are open/locked files.

You should run fssnap first and then dump the special (static) device fssnap gives you.

Also, remember to delete the snapshot (again using fssnap) once the ufsdump has completed.

Failing that I'd be tempted to fully check the filesystem with

# fsck -o full

option. It will take a long time but will check everything on the filesystem. Of course, yes, it might be quicker to resort to tar but will that give you a faithfull restore of the filesystem?

Search this forum for threads about ufsdump AND fssnap. I've written about all this before on this forum.

Last edited by hicksd8; 09-30-2014 at 12:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need URGENT HELP---ufsdump-- Solaris 9

/dev/md/dsk/d0 20174761 1778528 18194486 9% / /dev/md/dsk/d30 17648810 1592139 15880183 10% /usr /proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab fd 0 0 0 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Boot hangs up on solaris

Hi all, I have a SUN server Sun-Fire-V890 running solaris 9, with a remote system console . Both the IP adresses of the server and the console are in a private network (address 10.67.xxx). For some reasons I need to give the access to the server from outside address 194.xxx, but I prefer that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Cluster Install Hangs

Greetings Forumers! I tried installing Solaris Cluster 3.3 today. I should say I tried configuring the Cluster today. The software is already installed on two systems. I am trying to configure a shared filesystem between two 6320 Blades. I selected the "Custom" install because the "Typical"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
2 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris hangs after booting

Hi, We've got a Sun Fire V245 that's failing to boot from either boot disk (mirrored using SVM). It simply hangs after loading a few modules: Sun Fire V245, No Keyboard Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.22.22, 1024 MB memory installed, Serial... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 system hangs

Solaris 10 (Sun V210) System hangs every couple of months. Have to go into ALOM to reset. I did a consolehistory report and seen this in it. Failed to exec inetd_start method of instance svc:/network/bootps/udp:default: I/O error WARNING: /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2 (glm0): Resetting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joeentech
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

ufsdump from Solaris to ubuntu fails with bad file descriptor

Hi All I have a dedicated backup server running ubuntu 10.04, which has recently been rebuilt (same OS, just different h/w) This is used to receive ufsdump output from a number of Solaris servers, using the following syntax: ufsdump 1uf :/path/to/backup/file /fs/to/be/backed/up This has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: in2deep
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris ssh client hangs when connecting to another Solaris machine

Got a strange problem. I have 4 Solaris servers all configured the same, Solaris 10 x86 update 10. When I try to ssh from one Solaris 10 server to another server ssh hangs. I have an identical server and when I try this everything works fine. The weird thing is if I am root on the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - hangs during boot

Power server up runs through diagnostics. Goes to the boot section and then the bit where the cursor is spinning and thats it. Hangs completely. Any ideas? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Ufsdump Solaris 11

Hello, i have a solaris 11 sparc64 and Im trying to do a backup to tape. This is the display: # ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: February 27, 2013 01:58:23 PM CET DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferch13
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris hangs (Firefox)

dear members, i am a newbie to solaris 11.3, and deeply impressed. On my test pc (Lenovo M90), however, using the internet hangs the system from time to time; initializing the connecting (WLAN) during installation (via the live cd) took two attempts as well. Maybe someone has a solution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardLichten
7 Replies
fssnap(1M)						  System Administration Commands						fssnap(1M)

NAME
fssnap - create temporary snapshots of a file system SYNOPSIS
fssnap [-F FSType] [-V] -o special_options /mount/point fssnap -d [-F FSType] [-V] /mount/point | dev fssnap -i [-F FSType] [-V] [-o special_options] [/mount/point | dev] DESCRIPTION
The fssnap command creates a stable, read-only snapshot of a file system when given either an active mount point or a special device con- taining a mounted file system, as in the first form of the synopsis. A snapshot is a temporary image of a file system intended for backup operations. While the snapshot file system is stable and consistent, an application updating files when the snapshot is created might leave these files in an internally inconsistent, truncated, or otherwise unusable state. In such a case, the snapshot will contain these partially written or corrupted files. It is a good idea to ensure active applications are suspended or checkpointed and their associated files are also consis- tent during snapshot creation. File access times are not updated while the snapshot is being created. A path to the virtual device that contains this snapshot is printed to standard output when a snapshot is created. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d Deletes the snapshot associated with the given file system. -F FSType Specifies the file system type to be used. The FSType should either be specified here or be determined by matching the block special device with an entry in the /etc/vfstab table, or by consulting /etc/default/fs. -i Displays the state of any given FSType snapshot. If a mount-point or device is not given, a list of all snapshots on the system is displayed. When a mount-point or device is specified, detailed information is provided for the specified file system snapshot by default. The format and meaning of this information is file-system dependent. See the FSType-specific fssnap man page for details. -o special_options See the FSType-specific man page for fssnap. -V Echoes the complete command line, but does not execute the command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: /mount/point The directory where the file system resides. EXAMPLES
See FSType-specific man pages for examples. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/vfstab Specifies file system type. /etc/default/fs Specifies the default local file system type. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fssnap_ufs(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
This command might not be supported for all FSTypes. SunOS 5.10 11 Aug 2004 fssnap(1M)