Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - ufsdump hangs Post 302919175 by hicksd8 on Monday 29th of September 2014 10:42:20 AM
Old 09-29-2014
So you're running ufsdump without fssnap to snapshot first?

Perhaps it's coming across what it thinks are open/locked files.

You should run fssnap first and then dump the special (static) device fssnap gives you.

Also, remember to delete the snapshot (again using fssnap) once the ufsdump has completed.

Failing that I'd be tempted to fully check the filesystem with

# fsck -o full

option. It will take a long time but will check everything on the filesystem. Of course, yes, it might be quicker to resort to tar but will that give you a faithfull restore of the filesystem?

Search this forum for threads about ufsdump AND fssnap. I've written about all this before on this forum.

Last edited by hicksd8; 09-30-2014 at 12:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need URGENT HELP---ufsdump-- Solaris 9

/dev/md/dsk/d0 20174761 1778528 18194486 9% / /dev/md/dsk/d30 17648810 1592139 15880183 10% /usr /proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab fd 0 0 0 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Boot hangs up on solaris

Hi all, I have a SUN server Sun-Fire-V890 running solaris 9, with a remote system console . Both the IP adresses of the server and the console are in a private network (address 10.67.xxx). For some reasons I need to give the access to the server from outside address 194.xxx, but I prefer that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Cluster Install Hangs

Greetings Forumers! I tried installing Solaris Cluster 3.3 today. I should say I tried configuring the Cluster today. The software is already installed on two systems. I am trying to configure a shared filesystem between two 6320 Blades. I selected the "Custom" install because the "Typical"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
2 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris hangs after booting

Hi, We've got a Sun Fire V245 that's failing to boot from either boot disk (mirrored using SVM). It simply hangs after loading a few modules: Sun Fire V245, No Keyboard Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. OpenBoot 4.22.22, 1024 MB memory installed, Serial... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 system hangs

Solaris 10 (Sun V210) System hangs every couple of months. Have to go into ALOM to reset. I did a consolehistory report and seen this in it. Failed to exec inetd_start method of instance svc:/network/bootps/udp:default: I/O error WARNING: /pci@1c,600000/scsi@2 (glm0): Resetting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joeentech
3 Replies

6. Ubuntu

ufsdump from Solaris to ubuntu fails with bad file descriptor

Hi All I have a dedicated backup server running ubuntu 10.04, which has recently been rebuilt (same OS, just different h/w) This is used to receive ufsdump output from a number of Solaris servers, using the following syntax: ufsdump 1uf :/path/to/backup/file /fs/to/be/backed/up This has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: in2deep
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris ssh client hangs when connecting to another Solaris machine

Got a strange problem. I have 4 Solaris servers all configured the same, Solaris 10 x86 update 10. When I try to ssh from one Solaris 10 server to another server ssh hangs. I have an identical server and when I try this everything works fine. The weird thing is if I am root on the server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccj4467
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - hangs during boot

Power server up runs through diagnostics. Goes to the boot section and then the bit where the cursor is spinning and thats it. Hangs completely. Any ideas? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Ufsdump Solaris 11

Hello, i have a solaris 11 sparc64 and Im trying to do a backup to tape. This is the display: # ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: February 27, 2013 01:58:23 PM CET DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s2 to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferch13
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris hangs (Firefox)

dear members, i am a newbie to solaris 11.3, and deeply impressed. On my test pc (Lenovo M90), however, using the internet hangs the system from time to time; initializing the connecting (WLAN) during installation (via the live cd) took two attempts as well. Maybe someone has a solution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RichardLichten
7 Replies
native(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 native(5)

NAME
native - native branded zone DESCRIPTION
The native brand uses the branded zones framework described in brands(5) to run zones installed with the same software as is installed in the global zone. The system software must always be in sync with the global zone when using a native brand. SUB-COMMANDS The following native brand-specific subcommand options are supported in zoneadm(1M). attach [-u] [-b patchid]... For native zones, zoneadm checks package and patch levels on the machine to which the zone is to be attached. If the packages/patches that the zone depends on from the global zone are different (have different revision numbers) from the dependent packages/patches on the source machine, zoneadm reports these conflicts and does not perform the attach. If the destination system has only newer dependent packages/patches (higher revision numbers) than those on the source system, you can use the -u option to update the attached zone to match the -revision packages and patches that exist on the new system. With -u, as in the default behavior, zoneadm does not perform an attach if outdated packages/patches are found on the target system. For native zones, one or more -b options can be used to specify a patch ID for a patch installed in the zone. These patches will be backed out before the zone is attached or, if -u was also specified, updated. install [-a archive] | [-d path] [-p] [-s] [-u] [-v] [-b patchid]... The native brand installer supports installing the zone from either the software already installed on the system or from an image of an installed system running the same release. This can be a full flash archive (see flash_archive(4)) or a cpio(1) or pax(1) "xustar" ar- chive. The cpio archive be compressed with gzip or bzip2. The image can also be a level 0 ufsdump(1M), a path to the top-level of a system's root tree, or a pre-existing zone path. With no options the zone is installed using same software as is running the global zone. To install the zone from a system image either the -a or -d is required. Either the -u or -p option is also required in this case. -a archive The path to a flash_archive(4), cpio(1), or pax(1) "xustar" archive, or a level0 ufsdump(1M), of an installed system. cpio archives may be compressed using gzip or bzip2. -b patchid One or more -b options can be used to specify a patch ID for a patch installed in the system image. These patches will be backed out during the installation process. -d path The path to the root directory of an installed system. If path is a hyphen (-), the zonepath is presumed to be already populated with the system image. -p Preserve the system configuration after installing the zone. -s Install silently. -u Run sys-unconfig(1M) on the zone after installing it. -v Verbose output from the install process. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWzoneu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Uncommitted | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), pax(1), zlogin(1), zonename(1), sys-unconfig(1M), ufsdump(1M), zoneadm(1M), zonecfg(1M), flash_archive(4), attributes(5), brands(5), privileges(5), zones(5), lx_systrace(7D) SunOS 5.11 13 Feb 2009 native(5)