Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure? Post 302917747 by prvnrk on Thursday 18th of September 2014 11:40:58 AM
Old 09-18-2014
How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure?

Hello,

I need to move all the files inside /XYZ (has multi-depth sub directories) that are older than 14 days to/ABC directory but with retaining the SAME directory structure.

for example:
/XYZ/1/2/3/A/b.txt should be moved as /ABC/1/2/3/A/b.txt

I know about find /XYZ -type f -mtime +14 -exec mv {} /ABC \; but it would NOT retain the directory structure.

I thought of backing up whole /XYZ to /ABC and then delete recent 14 days' files from /ABC and all files older than 14 days from /XYZ but I find it very inefficient.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

List directory 7 days older

Say folder archive/ contains many folder each created on a day. this folder may contain files. i want to write a script to delete all the folder inside archive/ which are 7 days older. i used the below script for the reason. find archive -mtime +7 -type d -exec rm -r {} \; pls suggest me if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnarao
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move the latest or older File from one directory to another Directory

I Need help for one requirement, I want to move the latest/Older file in the folder to another file. File have the datetimestamp in postfix. Example: Source Directory : \a destination Directory : \a\b File1 : xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt (xy_032120101456.txt) File2: xy_MMDDYYYYHHMM.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pp_ayyanar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move files older than 2 days to another folder

Hi I am facing problem in using this command, mv `find /export/june/PURGEDATA*.txt -mtime +2 -exec ls {} \;` june/archive/ mv: Insufficient arguments (1) Usage: mv f1 f2 mv f1 ... fn d1 mv d1 d2 Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 10 Days in a directory

Hi All I want to remove the files with name like data*.csv from the directory older than 10 days. If there is no files exists to remove older than 10 days, It should not do anything. Thanks Jo (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshjohney
9 Replies

6. AIX

Want to delete directory, subdirectories and all files which are older than 7 days

how do i remove sub directories of a directory and all files which are older than 7 days by a single command in AIX. pls help me. I am using command as #find /gpfs1/home/vinod/hpc/ -depth -type d -mtime +7 -exec rm -rf {} \; so i want to delete all sub directories and all files from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinodkmpal
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HPUX move files older than 30 days

Hello, I have a script which finds files in a directory that are older than 30 days and moves them to the specified directory. The problem is I don't know why it works the way it does? Code: find . -name '*.sql' ! -mtime -30 -exec mv '{}' /dataload/archivelogs \; I was under the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pure_jax
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i move folders and its content if folder is older than 1,5 days and keep subdirs in bash?

Hello all, do you know any way i can i move folders and its content if folder is older than 1,5 days in bash? I tried: find /home/xyz/DATA/* -type d -ctime +1.5 -exec mv "{}" /home/xyz/move_data_here/ \;All i got was that Files from DATA /home/xyz/DATA/* ended messed up in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
1 Replies

9. Linux

Finding files older than x days within directory with spaces

Hi, I am trying to run a command that finds all files over x amount of days, issue is one of the directories has spaces within it. find /files/target directory/*/* -type f -mtime +60 When running the above the usual error message is thrown back + find '/files/target\' 'directory/*/*' -type... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ads89
1 Replies
FAXCRON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							FAXCRON(8)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date (1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/hylafax spooling area /var/spool/hylafax/status/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxsend(8), xferfaxstats(8), recvstats(8), hylafax-server(5) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8)